Anybody notice wheels without weights?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprised I didn't notice this before now. Front wheel has one but the rear had nothing. I've had front wheels not needing weights but not out back, at least on anything over 150 widths. I suppose it's possible though.

How often is perfect balance likely to happen is a question for the tyre fitters, my gut feeling it is more likely than you think.

... or it could mean that it has balance beads in it. I have them in my rear tire.
I have never seen those installed but it is a possibility.

When I get tires for the bike or the car, I like to be in the shop and watch them work. I have always seen them put the tire randomly on the rim and then let the balancing machine dictate where and how heavy a balance weight to add. I have neither of those machines myself. I have changed plenty of bicycle tires along with aid of a pair of screwdrivers.

Coincidentally it is about time for tires on my Jeep. I will ask about it when I get four new ones shortly.

there are no weights on either of my wheels, in fact whenever I've had a bike that has weights on the wheels I remove them as they are ugly, maybe I'm insensitive to it but I've never noticed any problem with 'out of balance' wheels,
maybe at speeds of 130mph+ but at my normal riding speeds of 70ish and some very rare occasions of hitting a bit above 100mph I notice nothing but smiles

Anybody notice wheels without weights?

Only ones that have either thrown the weights off or were never balanced to begin with.

I find it fairly easy to tell if the front wheel is out of balance as you will feel a wobble/vibration anywhere between 25-45 MPH, the rear wheel (just in my opinion) does not need balanced but I always get it balanced anyway just in-case it starts acting up at high speed. I got a very bad speed wobble once at 140 + MPH on a Kawasaki and it was new pair of shocks on the back not being supplied properly as a pair, I got some fright and I've been left very wary of neglecting a back end in any way.

On my cars and vans I nearly always get the 4off wheels balanced (on condition all the tyres are the same size) as I want maximum miles out of them and rotate them every year, the fronts wear slightly uneven due to steering, but put them on the rear and they even out. The fronts always need balanced, I'll assume it has something to do with leading and trailing on a vehicle when dealing with balancing wheels.

I find it fairly easy to tell if the front wheel is out of balance as you will feel a wobble/vibration anywhere between 25-45 MPH, the rear wheel (just in my opinion) does not need balanced but I always get it balanced anyway just in-case it starts acting up at high speed. I got a very bad speed wobble once at 140 + MPH on a Kawasaki and it was new pair of shocks on the back not being supplied properly as a pair, I got some fright and I've been left very wary of neglecting a back end in any way.

On my cars and vans I nearly always get the 4off wheels balanced (on condition all the tyres are the same size) as I want maximum miles out of them and rotate them every year, the fronts wear slightly uneven due to steering, but put them on the rear and they even out. The fronts always need balanced, I'll assume it has something to do with leading and trailing on a vehicle when dealing with balancing wheels.
There is something with that 25-45 mph range. If I take my hands off the bars at that speed and there is no wobble..We are good. If it wabbles and I re balance it goes away.

Which is what I need to do this week.

Next tire change I'm going to balance the rim before the tire goes on and see how far out the tire is.

I know some tire manufacturers put a dot on the heavy side of the tire on the sidewall and you're supposed to mount it opposite of the valve stem.

I think there is a lot of misinformation about the dots. Every article I've read states dots should be mounted nearest the valve stem, not away. One article stated the difference between a yellow & red dot is yellow marks the light spot of the tire, the other is marking the highest spot of tire (out of round)...then it said if the red dot is present, it is prioritized over yellow & to put at the valve stem.

Latest posts

Back