Anyone ever repack a holeshot exhaust?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran into the same problem with mine. The caps are press fit which just seems stupid to me since theyll need repacking. Im waiting til winter to do mine. When i do though, im gonna grind the caps a little so theyll slide out nice and easy like every other muffler does!

I think im either gonna have one of our laser guys cut me some plates to push on things in a press or since its 304 stainless, ill tack some 3/32" filler rod on the inside of each end and pull it apart with a 10 ton overhead crane. Working in a fab shop has its perks, lol. I know that the perf tube is welded to one of the caps from what i can see with it together. Ive thought about cutting the can on the end that i dont think is welded to the perf (inlet side if i remember right) and just going from there. I know Sean has repacked them before and Im pretty sure i reember him saying he used a press to take them apart.

I hear ya. My other bikes had Yoshimura pipes on them and they pulled right apart with the rivets drilled. They also had carbon fiber cans though. This is the first time ive messed with a metal can. I like the sound of the Holeshots but i miss the warmth that a carbon fiber Yoshi pipe has.

Every metal pipe I've owned (muzzy, etc.), had pulled right apart with little to no effort. Any way of describing the plate method in better detail? I may take a swing at it tomorrow.

If youve got the flat outlet style, make a plate that will inside the cans walls for that end and a plate that the can wall will rest against on the other end so the cap will pass through and push with a press.

I got mine apart with WD40 and much effort. You may have a bit of drill flash from drilling out the rivets. Be careful with the end caps, one of mine now looks a little ripply. I'm trying to remember, but I think I pushed the intake side into the tube which pushed the end cap out. Call and ask Dale how they do it.

No. The intake side has a tube attached to it and runs the length of the can. Push the intake end in until the end cap clears, About an inch or so then you can use the tube to push the intake end out. I placed a scrap 2x4 on garage floor and tapped the intake end on that. Like a monkey breaking a coconut. I reassembled the thing with short ss cap screws instead of rivets for next time.

No. The intake side has a tube attached to it and runs the length of the can. Push the intake end in until the end cap clears, About an inch or so then you can use the tube to push the intake end out. I placed a scrap 2x4 on garage floor and tapped the intake end on that. Like a monkey breaking a coconut. I reassembled the thing with short ss cap screws instead of rivets for next time.

^hahaha

Both my 18" and 14" Hindle's are just like that with the perf tube welded to the inlet cap.

Ok... Did the tribal method. Got one of them out, but it seems the end cap is also welded to the core (perforated tube). Is it press fit? The other core won't budge... It's currently soaking in penetrating oil.

They're just stuck on there. Tight fit then add the carbon from the exhaust. Go easy with those, I boogered one of mine up. Too much coffee.

Back