Anyone ever repack their aftermarket muffler?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saml01

Reaction score
So yesterday I decided to take apart my Kerker. Don't ask why, I was curious to see whats inside. I took the baffle out and the thing was empty. All I had in my hand was a metal screen attached to the tip. The thing had no packing in it. Its loud, but not obnoxious. But I wouldn't mind toning it down a bit.

Can I just buy some fiberglass muffler pack and wrap the baffle?

Yep, absolutely. I keep it around the baffle with masking tape. It'll burn off eventually and fill the entire muffler. Kerker is the easiest to repack IMO.

If it has a perferated tube going down the center then yes. I like the Moose brand packing, it comes in long spaghetti like strings and works well but any bike packing will work. Cut to length, wrap around once and hold it with scotch tape and reinstall.

Ditto on Marks comment....Roll it as tight as you can and as mcu as you can so it will just stuff back inside the can securing with masking tape

I ordered some Two Brother packing and did my UFO system with good results....put it back together with rivets, Cost me about $40.......I found mine completely void of packing as well after two years usage...I think packing is really a "maintenance item" and probably only lasts a year or so??........I think the stainless packing probably lasts longer but doesn't sound as mellow??

In order for it to be wrapped tight I assume I need a lot of packing. How much length would you guys say I need? Also what thickness, 1/4" or 1/2"?

Just read wikipedia on this stuff. Thicker the better, tighter the better, the more the better.

Thanks everyone will report back with results.

:ummm: Hey, you can use fiberglass insulation from Home Depot or anywhere. Fiberglass is fiberglass. They might even give you a piece from a damaged package. Good Luck, Spurs

:punk: Hey, That will work perfect, not too thick. get it started around your baffle and roll it on the garage floor. Tape it with masking tape at each end and in the middle and you"re good to go. Cut off excess where needed and stuff back in the can, no problem. You can probably roll it twice, this stuff shrinks fast. Good Luck, Spurs

I repacked my UFO's last year and it made a huge difference, you could ride without ear plugs if you wanted to...

pretty sure that's what the Yammy dealer sold me too, pink stringy stuff

Latest posts

Back