Anyone running a windshield?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stock accessory is good for its size, and GIVI (below)

a123_90x90.jpg

makes a similar product. if you want touring coverage, something from National Cycle is probably up your alley. I looked at the Memphis Shades, but didn't find anything that was specific to the VMax. You might be able to go to a dealer who carries them and cobble something up, but be prepared to possibly trim some plastic, and the mounting may not be optimal, but it hasto be sturdy! The speeds the VMax is capable of, any fork mounted fairing can feed all-sorts of undesirable loads into the chassis and handlebars if you are above legal speeds.

Here's a not-bad looking one that has more coverage, from an old name in bodywork, Tracy. A very friendly price!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Yamaha...en-red-fade-/291854020417?hash=item43f3daef41
s-l1600.jpg

I've got an old Tracy Gauntlet that goes on the Max occasionally. I think I bought it back around 1983 for my Virago. It's been trimmed a bit along the bottom to make it usable with drag bars. Still looks good, and helps cheat the wind a bit.

Running a cheap Ebay Viper universal windscreen. Makes a HUGE difference at speed, I'm not constantly fighting the wind and feeling like a kite at highway speeds. I think it was $70, it feels cheap too, but its way better than nothing.

Attachments

• DSCN2587.jpg
    DSCN2587.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 41
I ran a Givi 20" windshield on my trip to Newfoundland over 3 weeks last summer. It was nice to sit in a pocket of quiet air for the many days of getting there/ back and when it rained since the constant wind for hours was tiring. The rain protection is worth it too! Other than that I would prefer the air in the face when cruising locally and when the weather was hot I did miss the air, especially into the helmet.

I'm a windshield guy, ran quite a few and like the reduced strain on my back caused by constant head winds.

-Yamaha Mini III was too noisy and blocked very little wind.

-Memphis Shades Classic Deuce is a nice shield but a bit on the large side.

-MRA Vario Touring shield was probly the best one I ran on the VMax.

-Currently have another, bike specific, MRA shield on the S1000XR which is perfect.

I had a givi on mine. I took it off because I like the look of the max better without it. Around town I don't notice much difference after taking it off, but freeway is a whole different story! It's amazing how much wind that little windshield moves. I'm seriously thinking about putting it back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://bikescreen.com/products/yamaha-v-max
Windscreen Products

Any bodywork is sold directly through the fairing manufacturer. View links to our industry partners HERE. We provide the windscreen only. The pictures of the fairing are for your reference.
Share:

Yamaha V-Max

$180.00 USD$134.95 USD

Quantity
Styles: '+2 Taller'+5 Taller'-1 ShorterStock
'+2 Taller 134.95 '+5 Taller 139.95 '-1 Shorter 129.95 Stock 129.95
Tint: Clear Light Smoke (Bronze) Dark Smoke (Bronze) Light Smoke (Gray) Dark Smoke (Gray) Dark Blue Light Blue Red Purple (Dark) Dark Green Light Green Amber Yellow Opaque Black Opaque White Fluorescent Pink Fluorescent Green Color Examples

*Each product will require drilling for installation unless otherwise noted.
We manufacture each windscreen (and headlight covers, deflectors) to order. We can manufacture and ship within 3 business days under current demand.

Styles Available Price ($USD) '+2 Taller 134.95 '+5 Taller 139.95 '-1 Shorter 129.95 Stock 129.95

I had a givi on mine. I took it off because I like the look of the max better without it. Around town I don't notice much difference after taking it off, but freeway is a whole different story! It's amazing how much wind that little windshield moves. I'm seriously thinking about putting it back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally run with a Givi but sometimes after a mod I will leave it off at some point during the first ride I'll decide to reinstall. Like you said once you get up to speed it really shows it worth.

I run the Memphis Shade Demon.
http://www.memphisshades.com/universal-mount/demon
I got some conduit clamps from home depot that are thin and have a rubber sleeve in the loop part and drilled a hole in the windshield close enough to the turn signal stalks to clamp the bottom of the screen to them.
Tricky to drill that material and put grommets in the hole in the screen to lessen the stress.
The added bottom mount makes it a sturdier install.
Have it off at the moment but can send a pic of the modded bits if you like.

Latest posts

Back