Anyone tried the METZELER ME888 MARATHON ULTRA?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanos

Reaction score
Metzeler has the correct sizes for Vmax1700*

METZELER ME 888 MARATHON ULTRA

120/70 ZR 18 M/C (59W) TL

200/50 ZR 18 M/C (76W) TL

Anyone tried them?
Thanks

*The only difference is the Speed Rate. Metzeller has W versus Bt028 with V

My recommendation would be Shinko Verge 011's for best performance.

They also are not very expensive.

I did have a Metzeler 240 on my wide wheel and did not like it at all.

When I bought my Gen 1, it had Metzlers on it. Now granted they were 10 years old when I got the bike, But they gave the death wobble to my bike. Not a fan personally. Now running Bridgestone tires.

I just bought the exact pair you speak of. Changed the tires myself....note, if you DON'T use zipties to put the rear tire on, you are a masochistic. It took me all of 20 minutes to get the back off and the new 888 on. Compared to the BattleAxe that was on there (2nd one), this tire is a lot stiffer. Nice tread pattern. I won't be able to talk about ride til next week. My brake pads are shot and it's the holiday weekend....perfect.

Everything I read about the 888 radials says they last and are sticky enough. I love the Battleaxes, but getting 3.5 k miles out of them is painful. The centers ALWAYS wear out regardless of how I drive. I blame Cincinnati roads which are pittiful. The highways look like files, sawing away my tires. I went a bit tougher....and a little more money to see if I can level the field with the department of transportation.

I work alot, so I might not get back to this for a while....but I will try

c

I have a Gen I but just put that tire on the rear. I used to run Metzelers (ME880's). Then tried Brigestone G850/851's (front and rear). I'm back on the Metzelers and don't think I'll be changing to anything else.
The neutral steering and the traction is very good. But to be clear, the new Ultra ME888 is on the rear only.
I'm running a 180/55-18 rear ME888 and the Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z8 on the front (120/70-18).
I would run both Z8's front/rear or both ME888's, but they don't make the same model in both the sizes for front and rear that I need.

So far I love these tires. The Brigestones when new took away my confidence. Something about that profile made the bike feel like I was losing the front end sometimes. I put about 10,000 miles on those tires but never felt really confident on them. Just my feeling and I'm sure some people love that quick steering input. To me though, I was always worried on them.

Now with the Metzelers and the more neutral rounded profile, I'm loving the turns again.
Maybe next time I'll try the rear 'Cruisetec' tire. It's geared toward the power cruiser market that wants more traction and corner stick than the ME888's. They weren't available when I purchased these new tires some time ago. Same basic tire, but just more stick at the expense of less longevity.
When I purchased these ME888 and Z8 tires, I wanted the longevity and good traction on the rear, and some extra 'stick' on the front;
https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/products/tires/cruisetec
https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/products/tires/roadtec-z8-interact

Last edited:
Metzeler has the correct sizes for Vmax1700*

METZELER ME 888 MARATHON ULTRA

120/70 ZR 18 M/C (59W) TL

200/50 ZR 18 M/C (76W) TL

Anyone tried them?
Thanks

*The only difference is the Speed Rate. Metzeller has W versus Bt028 with V
The speed rating is the ZR. Means 149mph+ and the R means radial.
The W (as in W74) is the load rating. So no worries about running fast with a ZR tire.

Vinnie

I just bought the exact pair you speak of. Changed the tires myself....note, if you DON'T use zipties to put the rear tire on, you are a masochistic. It took me all of 20 minutes to get the back off and the new 888 on. Compared to the BattleAxe that was on there (2nd one), this tire is a lot stiffer. Nice tread pattern. I won't be able to talk about ride til next week. My brake pads are shot and it's the holiday weekend....perfect.

Everything I read about the 888 radials says they last and are sticky enough. I love the Battleaxes, but getting 3.5 k miles out of them is painful. The centers ALWAYS wear out regardless of how I drive. I blame Cincinnati roads which are pittiful. The highways look like files, sawing away my tires. I went a bit tougher....and a little more money to see if I can level the field with the department of transportation.

I work alot, so I might not get back to this for a while....but I will try

c

Thank you for info. You are the first in 3 forums that you have tried. Please whenever you find time reply and tell me how they feel in corners? Rain? Compared to Battlax.Thanks.

I have a Gen I but just put that tire on the rear. I used to run Metzelers (ME880's). Then tried Brigestone G850/851's (front and rear). I'm back on the Metzelers and don't think I'll be changing to anything else.
The neutral steering and the traction is very good. But to be clear, the new Ultra ME888 is on the rear only.
I'm running a 180/55-18 rear ME888 and the Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z8 on the front (120/70-18).
I would run both Z8's front/rear or both ME888's, but they don't make the same model in both the sizes for front and rear that I need.

So far I love these tires. The Brigestones when new took away my confidence. Something about that profile made the bike feel like I was losing the front end sometimes. I put about 10,000 miles on those tires but never felt really confident on them. Just my feeling and I'm sure some people love that quick steering input. To me though, I was always worried on them.

Now with the Metzelers and the more neutral rounded profile, I'm loving the turns again.
Maybe next time I'll try the rear 'Cruisetec' tire. It's geared toward the power cruiser market that wants more traction and corner stick than the ME888's. They weren't available when I purchased these new tires some time ago. Same basic tire, but just more stick at the expense of less longevity.
When I purchased these ME888 and Z8 tires, I wanted the longevity and good traction on the rear, and some extra 'stick' on the front;
https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/products/tires/cruisetec
https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/products/tires/roadtec-z8-interact
I was lucky and found Avon Venom, stock size for front and rear on the 05, been super,,look great too!

I am running the 888 front and back on my Gen 2. So far I have 3k miles on them and wear so far has been great.
What about handling? Cornering? Rain? Compared to Battlax? Which you prefer? Thanks.

My recommendation would be Shinko Verge 011's for best performance.

They also are not very expensive.

I did have a Metzeler 240 on my wide wheel and did not like it at all.

Concerning the Shinko I have to say that in my opinion (I have them for 6 months) they are great only for burning. The cornering is not so good as the Battlax. The stability in rain also is very bad (always compared to Battlax). If you are not pushing the bike for their price I agree they are great. I am ready to try the 888 Ultra but I will wait the two members here to post their opinion first.Thanks.

I just put a Michelin Commander 240 on my 2013 Vmax and it walked right through rain yesterday from Cape Coral over to West Palm Beach. It corners like a champ too!

I had 880 on my gen 1 and liked them a lot
Put cobras on my fat bob and the were fantastic wish I could be them for the gen 2
I’m running battle axes and I get good wear I will be sticking with them till they discontinue them very confident with the tires all conditions
Cheers
Peter

880/888's are by far my favorite tire for all around use. The Shinko's for drag or street block to block riding.

What about handling? Cornering? Rain? Compared to Battlax? Which you prefer? Thanks.
When I bought my bike in 17, it had the OEM tire on the front which I think is Bridgestone which was absolute trash and was bald after 3.5k miles on it and it had a ME-880 on the rear. When I swapped to both ME-888 front and back I noticed an immediate difference. My bike dropped into a corner so easily and stayed there without a fight. I have nearly 4k on this set and still find them to be great on all surfaces. Rear tire hooks up nice in warmer weather which we are finally getting here in Maine. As far as rain goes I have had no issues but I corner like a bitch when the rain falls and in general i do not rain ride a lot considering I live only 3 miles from work and never hit high speeds going there. I cannot compare them to any other brand such as the battle axe which you are referring to. From what I have heard, the 888 have great tread life which was what I wanted but also hold the road well.

I just put a Michelin Commander 240 on my 2013 Vmax and it walked right through rain yesterday from Cape Coral over to West Palm Beach. It corners like a champ too!
I've never had those on my 09 as if yet. But I am very impressed with the Shinkos. Made the bike feel like a different model and not a Vmax. Crazy quick and smooth to cruise too.

When I bought my bike in 17, it had the OEM tire on the front which I think is Bridgestone which was absolute trash and was bald after 3.5k miles on it and it had a ME-880 on the rear. When I swapped to both ME-888 front and back I noticed an immediate difference. My bike dropped into a corner so easily and stayed there without a fight. I have nearly 4k on this set and still find them to be great on all surfaces. Rear tire hooks up nice in warmer weather which we are finally getting here in Maine. As far as rain goes I have had no issues but I corner like a bitch when the rain falls and in general i do not rain ride a lot considering I live only 3 miles from work and never hit high speeds going there. I cannot compare them to any other brand such as the battle axe which you are referring to. From what I have heard, the 888 have great tread life which was what I wanted but also hold the road well.
Thank you for the info. I will try them also this summer and I will post my thoughts.

1000 miles on my marathon ultras, I love them so far, great rear tire. I picked the front end up by surprise doing a 2nd gear power wheelie. Would highly recommend.

I have put about 300 miles on the 888 pair. They are sticky enough, very stable in corners and deliver all the power to the pavement. I really like them so far. Let's see how they wear. For me, they provide more confidence on turning, equal stability on fast runs. I like them. If they last longer than the 028s, I'll love them. I did notice they can break away from the pavement a bit easier, especially when the road is cold.

cart

I have put about 300 miles on the 888 pair. They are sticky enough, very stable in corners and deliver all the power to the pavement. I really like them so far. Let's see how they wear. For me, they provide more confidence on turning, equal stability on fast runs. I like them. If they last longer than the 028s, I'll love them. I did notice they can break away from the pavement a bit easier, especially when the road is cold.

cart
Couldn't agree more with the cold weather comment.

Back