Anyone tried the METZELER ME888 MARATHON ULTRA?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Battlax doesn't have that cold weather issue. The truth is that even with mid race profile it holds.........Thanks for the info.

I have a Gen I but just put that tire on the rear. I used to run Metzelers (ME880's). Then tried Brigestone G850/851's (front and rear). I'm back on the Metzelers and don't think I'll be changing to anything else.
The neutral steering and the traction is very good. But to be clear, the new Ultra ME888 is on the rear only.
I'm running a 180/55-18 rear ME888 and the Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z8 on the front (120/70-18).
I would run both Z8's front/rear or both ME888's, but they don't make the same model in both the sizes for front and rear that I need.

So far I love these tires. The Brigestones when new took away my confidence. Something about that profile made the bike feel like I was losing the front end sometimes. I put about 10,000 miles on those tires but never felt really confident on them. Just my feeling and I'm sure some people love that quick steering input. To me though, I was always worried on them.

Now with the Metzelers and the more neutral rounded profile, I'm loving the turns again.
Maybe next time I'll try the rear 'Cruisetec' tire. It's geared toward the power cruiser market that wants more traction and corner stick than the ME888's. They weren't available when I purchased these new tires some time ago. Same basic tire, but just more stick at the expense of less longevity.
When I purchased these ME888 and Z8 tires, I wanted the longevity and good traction on the rear, and some extra 'stick' on the front;
https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/products/tires/cruisetec
https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/products/tires/roadtec-z8-interact

Digging up an old thread here and providing an update:

I've put almost 6000 miles on that Z8 and the Ultra ME888 I spoke about above. Both tires are now near their limit, tread thickness-wise.

Few obervations;
-Z8 still handles well and is not squared off.
-Z8 gave me confidence throughout its life.
-ME888 I liked for the first few thousand miles, but then would seem to 'light up' easier.
-ME888 now lights up wayyyyy too fast in the current colder weather. I took the bike out last Monday and the temps were about 45 degrees and sunny. Almost consitently, I'd be moving in first gear at about 10mph and then hit the gas, and the tire would grip and then break away and the rpm's would shoot to 9k or so and the tire would spin away. It was 'fun' I guess but I just don't trust the tire anymore. I'm running 36 psi cold in the rear.
I think the wear is pretty good, and the wear 'pattern' look perfectly symetrical. No flat spotting or anything. Looks perfectly contoured just like when new. But wayyyyyyy too slippery and I would not take this to the canyon again and push it.
I noticed at the end of summer, that I could feel the rear break away on some turns and I was getting concerned about it.

I just ordered a Verge 011 120/70ZR-18 for the front and a Stealth 003 180/55ZR-18 for the rear.
I was going to try another Z8 on the front, and then try out a Metzeler Cruistec on the back (so that it's grippier on the rear than the ME888). But the costs on those (especially the rear), are crazy now. About $277.00 just for the rear!
I got both the front and rear Shinko's for about that cost.

I'll see how the Shinko's wear and handle. I'll ride these Metzelers for the rest of the winter or so until I 'have' to change them (if the wear bars show a bit more than now).
Will be interesting so see what the bike feels like with the Shinko's in the canyons come spring.

Vinnie

My Gen 2 came with a 240/40 VR18 TL Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra (79V) and a 120/70 ZR18 Michelin (59W) in the front. Not sure if I'll get the 240-18 Shinko Advance 005 when it comes time, as I doubt it will last as long as the Metzeler, but it's 100 bucks less. I don't ride in the rain anymore or carve out canyons (never did the canyon thing). I have had the rear break loose several times and spin a bit shifting into second when accelerating from a left turn leaving a traffic light. Fairly easy to break traction if you want to when the tire is cold. The bike has 10K miles on the clock, but I have no idea when the rear was converted to 240. Looks like there is little wear between the center patch and tire corners.
Here are some of the pros listed for the Metzeler:
  • Radial carcass construction for ultra high mileage coupled with Metzeler performance and handling
  • Tire compounds offer better abrasion resistance and an improved grip on wet surfaces
  • Tread design with variable inclination in the groove walls improves wear regularity and provides increased mileage and performance consistency
  • Tread gives increased mileage and better water drainage over the Metzeler ME880 cruiser tires
  • Profile features a wider and shorter footprint area for reduced wear and increased mileage and stability
  • Contact patch is 5% shorter and 15% wider than the Metzeler ME880 tires for better transfers of engine torque to the ground
  • To increase wear regularity, the transversal grooves of the tread pattern are discontinued by ‘compound bridges’, resulting in a more solid and stiffer tread design that reduces the stress transmitted to the belts and carcass plies.

So lets continue this thread....is old but usefull. Whats your thoughts after many years of testing....whats the best Combo or Not Tyre for front and rear. Personally I still finding the Battlax very trusty and solid. Tried Shink verge (120-200) and I was happy for the first 5000kms. Also I was not happy from the 1st km on rain....Anyone tried me888 Ultra both front and rear?Final thoughts after 10K? Rain driving?

For a bike i'm going to keep for any length of time I run the Metzler. It last twice as long or more then the others (for a gen 1). If I am looking at tires for a gen 2 I tend to go a softer compound to garner as much traction as I can.

For my Gen 1, Bridgestones have been good to me. For my Gen 2, Metzler on the front wore faster than the rear. The Metzler also wore in a W pattern on the front for some sketchy turning when it got to that point. As for the Shinko, I went through 2 fronts that vibrated. The one I replaced only lasted about 4000 miles and wore so bad that it developed a 3/4 inch crack in the tire. The Gen2, despite my aggressive powering off the line doesnt seem to be affecting the rear tire that much. The Metzler or Shinko seems to do well on the Gen 2. But the Gen 2 loves eating front tires. Currently, I am running a Dunlop up front. I know it wont last long, but I am looking to ride out to November before I get new matched tires.

As for folks saying dont mismatch tires.....I agree. I wont dispute that wisdom. For me though....With the type of riding I do....I dont drag race the bike, I dont track the bike. So matched compounds are not as critical for me as those who race their bikes. I notice no difference(other than the Dunlop is not vibrating) with a front new Dunlop and a 5500 mile rear Shinko.

If I lived where the majority of you lived in moderately populated and close quartered metros, I probably would never have a tire issue. But I can travel a 100 miles at 100 mph, run out of gas and still be no where. For those across the pond, the state I live in is approximately 121K square miles. Compare that to Germany that is 138K square miles. Germany has 83 million people in that space. New Mexico has 2.1 million people. Comparison for the distances travelled with the amount of people in a given area.

For my Gen 1, Bridgestones have been good to me. For my Gen 2, Metzler on the front wore faster than the rear. The Metzler also wore in a W pattern on the front for some sketchy turning when it got to that point. As for the Shinko, I went through 2 fronts that vibrated. The one I replaced only lasted about 4000 miles and wore so bad that it developed a 3/4 inch crack in the tire. The Gen2, despite my aggressive powering off the line doesnt seem to be affecting the rear tire that much. The Metzler or Shinko seems to do well on the Gen 2. But the Gen 2 loves eating front tires. Currently, I am running a Dunlop up front. I know it wont last long, but I am looking to ride out to November before I get new matched tires.

As for folks saying dont mismatch tires.....I agree. I wont dispute that wisdom. For me though....With the type of riding I do....I dont drag race the bike, I dont track the bike. So matched compounds are not as critical for me as those who race their bikes. I notice no difference(other than the Dunlop is not vibrating) with a front new Dunlop and a 5500 mile rear Shinko.

If I lived where the majority of you lived in moderately populated and close quartered metros, I probably would never have a tire issue. But I can travel a 100 miles at 100 mph, run out of gas and still be no where. For those across the pond, the state I live in is approximately 121K square miles. Compare that to Germany that is 138K square miles. Germany has 83 million people in that space. New Mexico has 2.1 million people. Comparison for the distances travelled with the amount of people in a given area.
Nice explanation!

Nice review! Me personally after all those years (2009 model Gen2) and extended search on Gen2 tyres I can definitely suggest the battlax. For some reason they are steady, trusty and keeping me safe for at least 10K kms. No Drag, no Track only Tour. However from other reviews I can also realize that also Me888 ultra are also an option for this use. Anyone who have them both front and rear for multiple kms? just to hear more opinions! Thanks.

Anyone tried the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II front/rear pair?

Back