Anyone using Titanium bolts for the front callipers?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
just wondering, as per title ....

As someone who has worked on old school Porsches.....Titanium is a WONDERFUL light alloy metal. However, despite its great lightweight and strong properties, what alot of folks fail to realize is, it is extremely brittle when the wrong type of harmonics are working on it. The old Porsche lugnuts were titanium. An impact gun would shatter them. If they were too loose, they would crack in half under braking applications.

So....if you are to use titanium....ALWAYS proper torque every single time and NO power tools. Used properly....they will function wonderfully and will lighten up the hardware portion of your build.

My general opinion....the costs of the hardware doesnt justify the means. Couple grams here and there wont make any appreciable gains. Fun fact.....The new Bugatti Chiron uses 17 titanium bolts to hold the chassis together. Those bolts are $100 each.

You're not a professional racer with a professional pit crew. Stick to steel. Don't go with full-blown douchebaggery in a vain attempt to have something unusual.

As someone who has worked on old school Porsches.....Titanium is a WONDERFUL light alloy metal. However, despite its great lightweight and strong properties, what alot of folks fail to realize is, it is extremely brittle when the wrong type of harmonics are working on it. The old Porsche lugnuts were titanium. An impact gun would shatter them. If they were too loose, they would crack in half under braking applications.

So....if you are to use titanium....ALWAYS proper torque every single time and NO power tools. Used properly....they will function wonderfully and will lighten up the hardware portion of your build.

My general opinion....the costs of the hardware doesnt justify the means. Couple grams here and there wont make any appreciable gains. Fun fact.....The new Bugatti Chiron uses 17 titanium bolts to hold the chassis together. Those bolts are $100 each.
😳 Is that-all?

I recall reading about the F1 wheel nuts in titanium, they were $2K! That's 'each.' Fortunately, you only need four, plus four back-up's.

I can't see any advantage to using Ti nuts/bolts. Go on a diet!

I recall that the rivets on the Honda 'Com-Star' wheels were titanium.

😳 Is that-all?

I recall reading about the F1 wheel nuts in titanium, they were $2K! That's 'each.' Fortunately, you only need four, plus four back-up's.

I can't see any advantage to using Ti nuts/bolts. Go on a diet!

I recall that the rivets on the Honda 'Com-Star' wheels were titanium.
You are right. Those F1 lugnuts are indeed 2K each. Actually, I think that data may be dated and they are a bit more now. However, you ever see one of those bad boys? They are monstrous. Compared to the retaining bolts of the Bugatti...the F1 lugs are big and expensive. The kit for the old Porsches were expensive, but if you were able to afford the vehicle, the bill was no big deal. We mainly replaced the lugs on those vehicles for discoloration. Generally not for failure. Though I seen a couple fail and broke one myself with an impact. We would replace those with the saved good ones that were discolored. I still have a set of them kicking with locking lugs

Back