Aquamax Checking In

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquamax

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I joined a few weeks ago because of someone's thread I ran across during a word search or something, and didn't stop in first to introduce myself! Anyway...

So this is the Aquamax. I painted it to look like a 2002 model, maybe 2003? I forget. But, unlike Yamaha's colors that year, I carried the stripes thru to the fenders...
HPIM3412.JPG
HPIM3413.JPG
He's a 1990 that I have owned since 1996. Back then I worked in Utah's largest multi-line dealership. This bike came in to our shop one day after it spent the previous weekend underwater (PO blew a turn in a canyon & it ended up in a lake). So that is part of the the "aqua" name. Our service department did an insurance estimate on it, then insurance quickly totaled it. Then our shop bought it from insurance, brought it back to life & dressed it in factory 1993 blue/purple~ish colors, thereby cementing the Aquamax name in my mind. ;)

This bike and I have had a storied history over the years, let me tell ya. It schooled me in the fine art of "body english" in high speed turns, and I schooled it (sorta) in "you won't beat me!" LOL 😁 We now both have a mutual understanding. Haha!

Anyway, the original (underwater) engine developed a serious case of blowby back in 2009. I didn't ride for a few years, while I mulled over my options. Then in 2012, I found a dismantler in Ohio who had a low mile 2007 wreck with a good engine. So by summer of 2013, the Aquamax had a heart transplant! :cool: Plus a few more bling items. Every time I have an altercation where the Aquamax is concerned, I bring it back looking better than before. Sooo...BLING!
Anyhoo I plan on visiting the "best customization" thread soon, but here's a couple ideas I put into this bike on his last incarnation that work great...
I replaced the stock turn signals/always~on ambers with halogen Kuryakin bullet lights (may be discontinued by now). Down by the radiator is my DRL (daytime running lights in LED).
HPIM3429.JPG
So in daytime it looks more like this...

HPIM3417.JPG
The halogens are switched by this little button...thru a relay. Pardon the dust, the Aquamax hasn't been out yet this year. 🙁

HPIM4266.JPG

BTW, here is a photo from around 1998, when the Aquamax was still blue...
Aquamax 001.jpg

Any guesses on what the taillight is?
Anyway, this is my long-winded HOWDY! 🙃

Attachments

• HPIM3430.JPG
    HPIM3430.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 12
I need a more-direct shot to have any idea of what the taillight is from.

The water-trip the bike took is a good story. That reminds me of a friend/fire-rescue co-worker who rescued an RX-7 Mazda sportscar from a watery grave shortly after its immersion. He debated doing a reclamation but was offered a good price for the car as-is, and that was a good choice in my book. He is quite the character, he worked for Mel Fischer who discovered the Spanish galleon the Atocha, unfortunately not when they found it, but before. He also used to take time-off from work on fire-rescue and was a commercial diver. He worked for awhile on trips to the Mediterranean where they did maintenance on aquatic-based navigational aids. He was also part-owner of a commercial submarine, a Perry PC-1201, certified for 1,000 ft depths. It's been from the Atlantic to the Antarctic Oceans. He sold his interest awhile ago. He bought it needing refurbishment, and he did a lot of the work, and it was re-commissioned, and leased for various uses before he got bought-out. Perry submarine for charter and film production - Submarines for Sale or Charter, New and Used (sub-find.com)

Thanks for the link, I appreciate it.

The taillight is from a Honda V65 Magna. I trimmed off the black outer housing, then modified the V-max bracket & it looks like it was born there! :) I never cared much for the stock V-max taillight.
Here's a couple photos from Ebay...

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Back