are all vmax cylinders universal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmullins

Reaction score
Just wanting to know if all cylinders are universal with different years, have a 93 on the ground was wanting to put the 93 topend on a 90 someone said that you couldn't just wondering

As the cylinders are an integral part of the upper crankcase and the two halves will mated together before the holes for the bearings are line bored I would say no, you can't mix and match.

You could swap the guts out of the 90 into the 93 case, taking care to replace shims and crank bearings with correct thickness.
Top and bottom case halves are mated together, the heads can be interchanged though if you're only talking about the camshafts etc

Or you could have them line bored to make them mate. But at that cost I would assume just finding another setup that is already mated together, or not splitting yours up.

Todd

Line boring them would require milling the cases and a lot of rework. Then the tensioners should have enough adjustment to make up for the change in geometry though it's just not worth it.

On a side note. What you are wanting to do has been done and did work. BUT, I highly suggest against it.

I was thinking tickets in my top left down to you Sean looks like I'll be waitin so maybe this winter or less I blow it up at the drag strip this year

The heads and cams will swap for all years with no problems if that's an area of your concern too.

Line boring them would require milling the cases and a lot of rework. Then the tensioners should have enough adjustment to make up for the change in geometry though it's just not worth it.

On a side note. What you are wanting to do has been done and did work. BUT, I highly suggest against it.

Micheal Hansen swapped in a late model bottom half to obtain the spin on oil filter feature, many told him it wouldn't work, for reasons we all understand as the case stampings and bearing sizes sort of become meaningless....

I doubt they even plastiguaged and resized bearings when they did it.:confused2:

Lot'sa miles since then but I think he got lucky:ummm:

Latest posts

Back