Are these slip ons fixable?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smallz700r

Reaction score
Just wondering if these slip ons could be fixed or if they are junk... thanks

Attachments

• A4AA06DE-41F7-4853-A1BB-CE4075057CF7.png
    A4AA06DE-41F7-4853-A1BB-CE4075057CF7.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DE919A37-2B19-4593-BF79-AA1C9318B400.png
    DE919A37-2B19-4593-BF79-AA1C9318B400.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 70
Everything is fixable, the question is whether it is worth the time and money? Is the end piece just held on by rivets and can you see what is inside the can? You may be lucky in that after drilling the rivets off, the internals will come out so you should be able to hammer the dent out.

Everything is fixable, the question is whether it is worth the time and money? Is the end piece just held on by rivets and can you see what is inside the can? You may be lucky in that after drilling the rivets off, the internals will come out so you should be able to hammer the dent out.
Yeah thats what I figured, im just looking for a cheap LOUD slip on, you got one for sale?

I scored my pair of supertrapps for $240 shipped a month ago on ebay, the set I got are very clean. A little bit of patience and I'm sure you will score some pipes that are decent shape for a good price.
Thats what im thinking, You got a deal!!! I found these cobras on ebay for 160$ but I heard they kill performance... Plus i want some super loud slip ons like the UFO or Supertrapp ones or something man! If you happen to find a deal like yours would you send it to me bro? Thanks man! 1996 Yamaha Vmax VMX12 Y647-1. aftermarket exhaust mufflers tail pipes | eBay

Thats what im thinking, You got a deal!!! I found these cobras on ebay for 160$ but I heard they kill performance... Plus i want some super loud slip ons like the UFO or Supertrapp ones or something man! If you happen to find a deal like yours would you send it to me bro? Thanks man! 1996 Yamaha Vmax VMX12 Y647-1. aftermarket exhaust mufflers tail pipes | eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-2007-...922647&hash=item48f2aef66e:g:Jt4AAOSwIHhfuBvQ
This one looks pretty good, and its a full system!

Last edited:
So, if they’re loud, they must be good? Wouldn’t a better question be “Are there any slip-ons that actually enhance performance?”

<sigh> Since it seems that the answer to that one is “probably not”, I guess loud is the next most important criteria.

But...you could use this opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and go with a used full system.

Just sayin’...

So, if they’re loud, they must be good? Wouldn’t a better question be “Are there any slip-ons that actually enhance performance?”

<sigh> Since it seems that the answer to that one is “probably not”, I guess loud is the next most important criteria.

But...you could use this opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and go with a used full system.

Just sayin’...
Bike already fast, I just hate how quiet it is! I guess if you can gain a little performance from slips on without any carb tuning, thats great! But honestly I just want my old ladies ears to bleed... lol If i went witha full system what all would I have to do to the carbs? Thanks

Short answer is nothing. But, if you want to wring every oz of energy out of that V4, carb tuning would be required: jetting, springs, needles or some combination. Again, you could get away with doing nothing to them, even with the full system.

Fortunately and for some strange reason bound by the laws of the physics of the Vmax construction, Freer flowing exhaust on this V4 appears to richen up the combustible mixture rather than lean it out as most motorcycles do. That means you can add the exhaust without the risk of burning a hole in the top of your pistons.

Last edited:
Short answer is nothing. But, if you want to wring every oz of energy out of that V4, cath tuning would be required: jetting, springs, needles or some combination. Again, you could get away with doing nothing to them, even with the full system.th

Fortunately and for some strange reason bound by the laws of the physics of the Vmax construction, Freer flowing exhaust on this V4 appears to richen up the combustible mixture rather than lean it out as most motorcycles do. That means you can add the exhaust without the risk of burning a hole in the top of your pistons.
Every other machine I have is the opposite of that, So your saying a full exhaust without a tune, makes a stock vmax run richer, not leaner? How is that possible?

I have asked the same question. Apparently this is a Vmax mystery shrouded with the mists of time. However, it is a fact, and one that Vmax owners leverage to their advantage by leaning it out after installation of a full pipe.

But, as I noted above, it does have the benefit of allowing installation of a full pipe without the need for immediate attention to the carburetors.

Ok thats fine! Im good with rich, id rather change plugs than rings but I have two questions, Does one gain any HP from a full exhaust and no tune? And also how difficult is it get to the stock headers off the rear two cylinders?? Doesnt look like theres much room?

Rear ones are not to bad, break them free then use a 1/4 inch ratchet to finish them off. Heat shield has to come off, and a center stand makes your life much better.

as the damaged can is riveted together you can look for any cheap second hand race can in as good or bad a condition as you like/need, then remove the outer sleeve and rivet your vmax end onto it, and internals if yours are also damaged

Just measure out your cans & go online look for some 6061 alum. & make new ones.
That should probably be not too-hard to accomplish. If they are just straight tubing w/no internal welds for bracketry to hold the internal baffles, it should be easy.

Cobra 4-into-4's, be sure they are slash-cut, as that's the way to build the most-power from your stock engine, without further tuning needed!!!!!👿👿👿👿👿😡😡😡😡😡🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥It has to-do with the Coriolis Effect. Exhaust escaping from the first open-edge of the slash-cut, will quickly expand into the atmosphere, which creates a low-pressure area, pulling exhaust further-up the pipe, out of the exhaust, more-quickly. This was first discovered by the famous Italian fluid-dynamics engineer, Dr. Bologna. If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, the exhaust should exit on the right, if you live in the Southern Hemisphere, the exhaust should exit on the left, to take full-advantage of the Coriolis Effect.

That should probably be not too-hard to accomplish. If they are just straight tubing w/no internal welds for bracketry to hold the internal baffles, it should be easy.

Cobra 4-into-4's, be sure they are slash-cut, as that's the way to build the most-power from your stock engine, without further tuning needed!!!!!👿👿👿👿👿😡😡😡😡😡🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥It has to-do with the Coriolis Effect. Exhaust escaping from the first open-edge of the slash-cut, will quickly expand into the atmosphere, which creates a low-pressure area, pulling exhaust further-up the pipe, out of the exhaust, more-quickly. This was first discovered by the famous Italian fluid-dynamics engineer, Dr. Bologna. If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, the exhaust should exit on the right, if you live in the Southern Hemisphere, the exhaust should exit on the left, to take full-advantage of the Coriolis Effect.
You guys didnt tell me the centerstand had to be removed for nearly all full exhaust systems?

Back