Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Drum Dog, like Bill said, you won't find a better place to learn and find answers on the beloved Vmax.
Enjoy!

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

GDay folks
Aussie V-max owner here ..
Same as everyone else I guess... I remember standing staring in awe back in the 80s thinking I gotta have one of them.....
30 years later I finally bought one !
I have owned stacks of bikes over the years (mostly high power sports bikes), but last few years havent had a registered road bike (ran out of points and figured it was safer).
So now with a cleaner license and an itchy throttle hand I decided to buy something close to 25 years old so I can club register it for 10% the cost of a normal rego... What else would you get but a Vmax !
Found a lovely US import with 29,000 miles on it, and have truely fallen in love with it... Deeper with every ride.
It came with triple pot front calipers and braided lines done (pulls up like a modern bike), it also has 5 inch Supertrapp Mufflers that I hace increased to 10 disks per side.
Ive rebuilt the carbs, and added a sissy bar for the Mrs
Now Im nearly finished upgrading to a digital dash and adding a fuel sender to the tank...
What ever happens this is one I will never sell... I bloody love it (Might get painted black though always wanted a black one)

Day I got it
day1.jpg

Added the Sissy bar
vmaxatvmac2.jpg

New Dash
dash.jpg

Last edited:
Hello folks, I picked up my 17 vmax last Saturday and I'm looking forward to riding season here in Ohio. I just came off a Honda F6B which I lost in a tornado in November. My previous bikes were 1973 Laverda SF750, 1977 Yamaha XS650, 2004 Yamaha Vmax, 2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2006 Triumph Rocket3, 2013 Honda F6B, and now the Vmax.

Hey, all. Not sure if I already posted it not, so here goes.

86 with just over 42k on the ticker.

I got her in trade for a pile of Jeep parts.

A torn backrest cover has been replaced with a home sewn cover. I didn't realise the heat forming on the original fabric, but I did two pieces instead of three, but I can make another.

Removed the stage 7 tubes so I could synch the carbs which were really badly out of synch. Got it close, but need to check the liquid level to see if the floats are out.

Replaced all the orings in the oil gallery and am using the Kawa oring on the pressure tube.

Going back to a more of a super cruiser style versus the Street fighter style. One thing I would like to do, but not sure if it would be a direct fit is putting VStar floorboard forward controls on it. That would go a long way to taming out long rides. Also looking at a Venture style seat and pegs which I think would be almost a bolt on.

I have had the bike for a couple of years, but I just got it on the road this season and have about 700 miles of rides in this month thanks to a 160 mile commute. Did 210 in the saddle yesterday and the leg cramps weren't bad, but I have to do something about the seat.

Overall, even though a lot of the parts are older, this forum has been very helpful getting going.
b13628b75c12dec2fca0d531354a788f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

hello evryone, i fell in love with the v-max and i think im gonna buy one pretty soon, i live in Germany right now and i find nice looking ones between 4-5 k euros, manufacturing year: 1998 and up and milleage in the low 20's, i've been reading around here to see the what issues the bike has and what to chek when i buy one, i dont think im gonna have problems with comfort, im 5"9 tall and the bike will fit me well, afterwards i plan to reduce the weight on it by changeing the exhaust, buy better suspension, maybe a dyno jet upgrade..after the big stuff,small change's will come, like custom paint and so on..i own a suzuki sv650 and im a little scared by the v-max :D

Howdy!

This is my third Yamaha, first Vmax. In love is an understatement. I've ridden all sorts of bikes over the years and never had this much fun.

'18 Vmax in Matte Raven

Attachments

• 1525788685680260339554.jpg
    1525788685680260339554.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 26
New from Indiana. Just picked up this at an auction on Sunday. Killer deal on an awesome bike. Tons of aftermarket stuff included. Haven't even figured out what all extra parts came with it in boxes along with stuff showing its had Stage 7 kit and a bunch of other stuff. Sounds so awesome and pulls hard.
Todd
picture.php

New from Indiana. Just picked up this at an auction on Sunday. Killer deal on an awesome bike. Tons of aftermarket stuff included. Haven't even figured out what all extra parts came with it in boxes along with stuff showing its had Stage 7 kit and a bunch of other stuff. Sounds so awesome and pulls hard.
Todd
picture.php

Sweet! If you have any questions about bits and pieces throw up some pics, theres a whole lot of knowledge on this forum. What a great score, Looks lile a good day for new members. Welcome!

Thanks, So far I figured out it has the following:
Aftermarket Shocks (originals included) that say "WORKS" on them
Stage 7 jet kit
K&N individual pods
Kerker 4-2-1 exhaust
Corbin Seat
Shift light
Dyna 3000 ignition

Tons of parts and stuff in boxes indicating some sort of bearings were changed out, along with tons of gaskets, filters, plugs, original seat, front fender, side covers and shocks. Original turn signals, new sets of signals. Video tape on rebuilding front suspension and more I haven't even gotten through. Some sort of Carb syncing device. I have a feeling the original owner (now passed away as I purchased from an estate auction) was probably a member here.

Hey Guys--been lusting after the 85 model since I was in high school--finally found one this past weekend. Took the carbs apart this weekend--was pretty gummed up in that it was sitting for a couple of years. Other suggestions on things to do to it before riding? Has 16,000 miles--very nice shape.--all original.

Attachments

• when purchased.jpg
    when purchased.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 16
  • when purchased2.jpg
    when purchased2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 16
  • when purchased3.jpg
    when purchased3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 15
Hey Guys--been lusting after the 85 model since I was in high school--finally found one this past weekend. Took the carbs apart this weekend--was pretty gummed up in that it was sitting for a couple of years. Other suggestions on things to do to it before riding? Has 16,000 miles--very nice shape.--all original.

Flush the brakes and clutch, change the oil and filter, probably change the coolant.

Jsmith1107 I think I’d add checking/changing the air filter to that list as well. Never know what could be in there. Other then that, enjoy the bike! It’s a nice looking bike, welcome to the forum, and congrats on the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just joined today. I have had a Yamaha Venture Royale for 1 year and love it. I have always owned several bikes for the last 45 years. I have recently had a problem with the turn signals not working out of the blue during a ride last Sunday. I checked the fuse and rebuilt the switch. Still no response at all from the signals. Any suggestions. I could not find on this web site how I could start a post to ask this question.

I just joined today. I have had a Yamaha Venture Royale for 1 year and love it. I have always owned several bikes for the last 45 years. I have recently had a problem with the turn signals not working out of the blue during a ride last Sunday. I checked the fuse and rebuilt the switch. Still no response at all from the signals. Any suggestions. I could not find on this web site how I could start a post to ask this question.

May I ask for clarification on model and year? The Venture Royale was halted in 93 when production of the gen1 Ventures ended. I think it was 96 when they came back with the gen2 Venture Royal Star, at least in the US. The Royale vs Royal had to be a laugh for someone at Yamaha.

In any event I have a few things, including schematic (I think) for the Gen1 Royale but not the Gen2 Royal Star. I'm not sure how similar it is to Vmax but I doubt it's much different. I'm no electrical guru but I think next is to make sure your actually getting 12v to the flasher unit and the switch. Do the hazard flashers work? I would be remiss not to mention venturerider.org as a fantastic resource for all things Venture. It has been priceless in getting my 89 Venture Royale whipped into shape and a great group as well. I hope you get it sorted out, welcome!

Hello all, I’m new here to this forum. I’m working on a friends 95 v-max. I believe it’s a 1200.
It’s having a starter issue. When cranking it, it goes nerk nerk crunch, nerk nerk crunch. Do these bikes have any issues with the starter overrun clutch,gears etc? He does have a Clymers manual, so I do have a clue as to what I’m getting into. Is there anything I need to watch out for? I own an 86 Suzuki Cavalcade myself, so I know how helpful these forums can be. Thanks for any input.

There are tutorials on U Tube on how to deal with the noisey starter clutch on our V-Max, not usually a big deal, the fastners will work loose over time, be sure to inspect all parts for cracks/damage, you will need a good puller and grade 8 fastners to get the flywheel off.

Back