Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi...V max 1988... traveling along the motorway taking in the country air when i saw a car come to a junction...i shut off ..slowing down waiting to see what she did..as i approached she pulled out in front of me but in the inside lane...ah ok..nope she then decided to continue into my lane...braking as hard as i dare...just touched the rear end..enough to send me and my bike sprawling down the road....yes she said she saw me!!!!!...wtf...she had young child in rear of her car...anyway...lhs damage to bike...usual stuff...clutch m cylinder...clutch lever ..footrest...etc etc...i live to ride another day...my GF said is it not time to give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...your 69 sweetheart!!!....nnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooo....once a biker etc....btw...ill mend....diff
You have to change your underwear?!

Hi...V max 1988... traveling along the motorway taking in the country air when i saw a car come to a junction...i shut off ..slowing down waiting to see what she did..as i approached she pulled out in front of me but in the inside lane...ah ok..nope she then decided to continue into my lane...braking as hard as i dare...just touched the rear end..enough to send me and my bike sprawling down the road....yes she said she saw me!!!!!...wtf...she had young child in rear of her car...anyway...lhs damage to bike...usual stuff...clutch m cylinder...clutch lever ..footrest...etc etc...i live to ride another day...my GF said is it not time to give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...your 69 sweetheart!!!....nnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooo....once a biker etc....btw...ill mend....diff

Sorry to hear about this. Hope you heal up and get the bike fixed up soon.

Been riding for 50 yrs had many get off s...im healing fine...not the first and probably not the last....)))

Sounds like your off to a great start with some cool bits and pieces. Glad you made it here, some damn find riding up on OR when the weather holds. It's no R6 but it doesnt take to much to make it handle acceptably for mild/moderate canyon carving.

Welcome!
There is a ton of riding choices, around here. Took her out this weekend. Other than chewing up gas (45 miles and the light came on), she did well. I was expecting to fight her in the corners (a lot of reviews dog on them for cornering), but found her to be rather stable. 45MPH corners at 60... just about right for a cruiser. I ride year-round, as long as it's not going to get wet or too cold. I'm pushing the cold, this week (no rain), because I need to get some seafoam thru it before I give up and tear into the carbs.

20181202_121201.jpg

Hi Guys!

I bought an '86 with 5k miles a few weeks ago in early November. Due to an early onset of winter here in Michigan, I only got in two good rides before the season was over (so far). It was such a teaser...now to wait all winter to enjoy it some more.

As you can see in my signature, I enjoy owning and wrenching old Japanese bikes from the late 70's and early 80's. Starting with the XS750 I bought in 1980, I moved on to big brother XS1100, then on the next king of the hill, the Honda V65. I always dreamed of the VMAX as my end game. My wonderful wife kept reminding me that life will be slowing down too soon, and I shouldn't wait any longer,... so I pushed the button when I saw a low mile, completely stock, older model VMAX that suited my collection. I bought it from a dealership that took it in on trade-in from a fellow that supposedly had 5 or 6 VMAX's.

This is the first bike I bought since 1980 that didn't take year to get it back on the road!

Nonetheless, I have a couple 'issues' I need to learn about immediately. I stopped by two other forums first, but couldn't find a forum with that cache of posts with all the knowledge and history. This seems to be the place.

My name on all the other forums is "Radioguylogs". I screwed up when signed up here and accidently ended up with my real name. It's OK, just that folks won't recognize me as the same guy. I was going to fix it, but I guess it's not important.

See you around the site,

-Mike

"My name on all the other forums is "Radioguylogs". I screwed up when signed up here and accidently ended up with my real name. It's OK, just that folks won't recognize me as the same guy. I was going to fix it, but I guess it's not important."

Would you like me to change your name to Radioguylogs? It would be no trouble to do so for you.

Not a new member but just wanted to check in and say hi to you all. Sadly I have sold the FZ6 and the #100 Anniversary VMax. Been off the saddle for a few years and just got me another ride last week a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad VN1900D Shes no Vmax but is still a thrill to ride. Talk soon :)

20181129_122356.jpg 20181129_122425.jpg 20181129_122441.jpg

Took her out this weekend. Other than chewing up gas (45 miles and the light came on), she did well. I was expecting to fight her in the corners (a lot of reviews dog on them for cornering), but found her to be rather stable. 45MPH corners at 60... just about right for a cruiser. I ride year-round, as long as it's not going to get wet or too cold. I'm pushing the cold, this week (no rain), because I need to get some seafoam thru it before I give up and tear into the carbs.

View attachment 68128

Well... I figured out Max's biggest issue... the dummy sitting on the seat! I feel soooooo stupid and I should have figured it out faster... the choke lever is "UP" for off. *embarrassed*

Once I figured that out, it's been smooth sailing. Starts really nice (about 1/2 choke, even as cold as it's been), idles a little lower than I'd like (just read where to find the idle adjust screw). Even with the "playing" I did, on a ride, this weekend, I got just under 30mpg. I'll play with speed/throttle/fun control to see how good I can get.

I went on a quest to "find" the v-boost, yesterday. It was nice and sunny, roads had dried (after a few days of rain), so I found a straight stretch and poked the bear. WOO HOO! I'm glad I was "ready" for it, or it could have been very interesting. I just read that there is no rev-limiter, so my visits to "boost land" will probably be few and far between, until I get a little more comfortable with the sounds/feels of her (very difficult to watch the tach, at speed, with a full-face helmet on).

Well... I figured out Max's biggest issue... the dummy sitting on the seat! I feel soooooo stupid and I should have figured it out faster... the choke lever is "UP" for off. *embarrassed*

Once I figured that out, it's been smooth sailing. Starts really nice (about 1/2 choke, even as cold as it's been), idles a little lower than I'd like (just read where to find the idle adjust screw). Even with the "playing" I did, on a ride, this weekend, I got just under 30mpg. I'll play with speed/throttle/fun control to see how good I can get.

I went on a quest to "find" the v-boost, yesterday. It was nice and sunny, roads had dried (after a few days of rain), so I found a straight stretch and poked the bear. WOO HOO! I'm glad I was "ready" for it, or it could have been very interesting. I just read that there is no rev-limiter, so my visits to "boost land" will probably be few and far between, until I get a little more comfortable with the sounds/feels of her (very difficult to watch the tach, at speed, with a full-face helmet on).

A Dyna or Ignitech ignition box has a rev limiter function.

Hello there, i’m dennis from www. facebook.com/vmax1700 and www. vmax1700.nl
Looking froward to look around here. Greetz from the netherlands.

Attachments

• 75D75FA9-E593-40E9-9C0F-461B3F6C6407.jpeg
    75D75FA9-E593-40E9-9C0F-461B3F6C6407.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 12D490A2-786F-41D6-9269-5C71F697483C.jpeg
    12D490A2-786F-41D6-9269-5C71F697483C.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 7176C2AC-150F-4BA6-8ED6-9B7B0CD42A2F.jpeg
    7176C2AC-150F-4BA6-8ED6-9B7B0CD42A2F.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 2203423B-61F7-4F54-AE35-494CF0F2D6BD.jpeg
    2203423B-61F7-4F54-AE35-494CF0F2D6BD.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 8
  • C3B37CE6-28A8-4DA3-9AD9-A79548FA77AB.jpeg
    C3B37CE6-28A8-4DA3-9AD9-A79548FA77AB.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 9
  • AC1BA525-D7A3-4BE8-B88C-8FAF380A9C67.jpeg
    AC1BA525-D7A3-4BE8-B88C-8FAF380A9C67.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 11
  • E07F5D93-5569-4D7D-935F-86BF357D44F9.jpeg
    E07F5D93-5569-4D7D-935F-86BF357D44F9.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 9
  • A2A77061-7AF0-4A90-B261-5664A0596295.jpeg
    A2A77061-7AF0-4A90-B261-5664A0596295.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
New member checking in to say hello. A few months back a friend sold me his 1997 VMAX that had been sitting for a few years after an accident he had. It wouldn't start at first but eventually I had it running to the point that I could attempt to balance the carbs which led me to pulling the carbs and rebuilding them. Replacing all the diaphragms seemed to do the trick and my new-old ride is now on the street, idling perfectly, and blazing quick with vboost kicking in :) Most of the road rash has been removed so I am down to replacing old seals (leaking valve cover gasket etc). I still have a problem at 4~5K rpm in 5th gear where it hesitates a bit before vboost kicks in but I will figure that out once the weather warms up again... This was such a fun project, I figured I would restore my old 1973 RD250 which really contrasts with the VMAX. Quick and agile versus fast and smooth. I rebuilt the RD engine and powder coated the frame. Just waiting on a few new parts before reassembly. Anyway, I thank the VMAX for getting me interested in motorcycles again!
Have fun, --Bob--

Capture.PNG

Hi Guys,

New member here, got my first V-max about 2 weeks ago its a 1996 and man is this a fun machine! I've been poking through the threads its got a few issues and so far every question I've had about this thing there is a thread with a fix and about 30 upgrades while your in there. Rear brake issue solved got the galfer SS lines, EBC HH pads, new rotor and a caliper rebuild. Water leak through the weep hole the thread with the parts list, thank you very much! (Ordered that's next weekends project). Got the seat recovered as soon as I got it. Have a small fuel leak, ill find the thread I'm sure there are multiple ones out there to get pointed in the right direction.
This is my first bike got it from a buddy of mine for cheap, so I'm takin it easy on her just cruisin and yes I am taking the class end of December.
Thanks again for this VMAX site so far I've been able to find a way to make a list of all the cool stuff I want for this bike and have seen all the wonderful member pics of mods, covers, ect. I think my list is only about up to 5k but hey isn't that the fun part! She's old and been neglected so now its my job to bring her back to life and I really enjoy wrenchin on stuff.

Thanks again to all,

Ben

New member checking in to say hello. A few months back a friend sold me his 1997 VMAX that had been sitting for a few years after an accident he had. It wouldn't start at first but eventually I had it running to the point that I could attempt to balance the carbs which led me to pulling the carbs and rebuilding them. Replacing all the diaphragms seemed to do the trick and my new-old ride is now on the street, idling perfectly, and blazing quick with vboost kicking in :) Most of the road rash has been removed so I am down to replacing old seals (leaking valve cover gasket etc). I still have a problem at 4~5K rpm in 5th gear where it hesitates a bit before vboost kicks in but I will figure that out once the weather warms up again... This was such a fun project, I figured I would restore my old 1973 RD250 which really contrasts with the VMAX. Quick and agile versus fast and smooth. I rebuilt the RD engine and powder coated the frame. Just waiting on a few new parts before reassembly. Anyway, I thank the VMAX for getting me interested in motorcycles again!
Have fun, --Bob--

View attachment 68251
Always liked the 97 color scheme. Was the PO a member here? That bike looks familiar.

Always liked the 97 color scheme. Was the PO a member here? That bike looks familiar.
I don't think the previous owner was on here. He usually brought his bike into a shop for work, but now, around here in Sacramento CA, it is hard to find shops that work on motorcycles older than 10 years. He gave it to me because he thought I could get it going again... The only mods I have done are a seat cover, mirrors, rear tail light, rear turn signals, reservoir covers, and misc parts to get it running again and remove road rash. Other than that it should look pretty much stock. I like the color too, just needs a good engine cleaning / shine.

G'day everyone ,
I'm Jase from New Zealand and a proud owner of an all numbers matching 85' Max . Been in my possession for a little over two years now only put maybe 1500 miles on the clock in that time ,
Many thanks and glad to have found this forum
Cheers

Jase

Back