Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its been sitting a while, the carbs probably need to be gone through. A quick, fairly easy task for a novice is the peashooter or shot gun procedure. Do a search on this forum for them. They can help quite a bit without getting in too deep. Change fuel filter also. More back ground on the bike will help the more knowledgeable members here give advice. Good luck.

forget the pea shooter. pull the fuel filter drain the bowls drain and rinse the tank until all the rust is out put corrosion x in there spray on the dry surface wait. refill tank.March 29, 2017 at 0959AM.jpeg

Hi I'm new to. First max I saw was 1988 and just got my first one in October it's a mint 88 stainless pipes kurker exhaust jetted cop mod modes air box hifkow air filter and shaved some weight off of it. I was going to put an aluminum rad on it but front tire is hard enough to keep on the road. I'm looking for a cheap sissy bar one I can take off quick for the wife.
dont do it. the radiator is fine. use water wetter from red line with the regular coolant

I just joined, because I finally got a VMax. Have had numerous Yamaha's over the years, from my first bike (Maxim 400) to my other bike now (XS Eleven Venturer) but always wanted a VMax - even had the "VMax Junior" (Radian 600) for quite a few years.

The bike is a 1988 with Hindle exhausts and a custom bright magenta paint job, in near-showroom condition. The shop specializes in mint condition used bikes and gives them a full tuneup, full checkover and a 100 km highway run before delivery, so the bike is in great shape for its age. Mine also needed a brake job to get everything up to spec, but everything was included in the sale price.

Looking forward to talking with other VMax enthusiasts.

vmx12.jpg

Hi everyone,
My name is hakan and i m writing from turkey. I m 50 yrs old and i have 3 bikes. 2018 Africa dct, 2017 kawasaki versys x300 and 1997 vmax12. Here in my country vmaxes are rare..and there is not much people to ask or talk about restoration, spares etc. So i m very happy to be here..

Hi everyone,
My name is hakan and i m writing from turkey. I m 50 yrs old and i have 3 bikes. 2018 Africa dct, 2017 kawasaki versys x300 and 1997 vmax12. Here in my country vmaxes are rare..and there is not much people to ask or talk about restoration, spares etc. So i m very happy to be here..

Ha, we're the same age and mine was originally red (the previous owner custom painted it with bright magenta and a cobra on the "tank"). Must be different owning a VMax in Turkey versus Canada, though you can probably ride more of the year.

I am getting ready to install a speedo healer on my gen 2. I am sick of speedo being off as much as 10 mph. Anyone else use one?

Matt

Greetings all, new guy here. Just purchased an 86 with 5600 miles on it from a 75 yo gent who was downsizing his collection. The Max has been on my bucket list since they first came out. I've owned dozens of bikes over the years and I'm really looking forward to enjoying saddle time on this one.

Hello,

New member here.
Been around bikes for quiet some time. Can recall when the Vmax first hit the streets in 85 it was a hell of bike. Just purchased an original condition 94 Yellow Vmax in very good condition. Previous owner really took care of it. Had a slight dead spot at 2k rpm. I recently removed the carbs and cleaned, going to reinstall once time permits.

Attachments

• B493F7C9-E3C2-4AD8-B95E-1D3423731F9B.jpeg
    B493F7C9-E3C2-4AD8-B95E-1D3423731F9B.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 11
Hi All. Thanks for letting me into the group. I will do a short presentation as I'm a new member, from Denmark. Not new to V-max bikes though. I bought a new Gen 2 back in 2015, but have recently sold it as I thought it was too big and heavy. I did 23000 kms on it so, I think I have given it my best. I have now bought a 1996 Gen 1 (with 13000 miles on it), which seems to be easier to get about with, and it certainly feels much smaller despite the weight. Anyway, it is going to be my winter-project and will receive some updates and modifications. I like to ride but building and modifying is really my thing. In addition to the Max, I have a Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 8V, that I use as often as the weather allows. I'll be following this site hoping to get info on the "old" Max and find out what has to be done to improve it. I will try to upload a few pics. 20190509_183928.jpg 20190509_183809.jpg 20190509_183559.jpg 20190501_204113.jpg 20180527_111944.jpg 20180527_112013.jpg 20190501_204113.jpg 20190509_183559.jpg 20190509_183809.jpg 20190509_183928.jpg

Greetings all, new guy here. Just purchased an 86 with 5600 miles on it from a 75 yo gent who was downsizing his collection. The Max has been on my bucket list since they first came out. I've owned dozens of bikes over the years and I'm really looking forward to enjoying saddle time on this one.
There are plenty of friendly, helpful people with great info on this site. Great find on that ‘86 model. Welcome and I’m sure you will enjoy the seat time on an old Max.

Well after a brief fling with a 2013 fat bob im back to where I belong 2014 Vmax previously a 2010
grey is cool but I really liked the red head.
anyway was on here before and went to the other forum didn't remember any logins made a new account
Im in Nova Scotia at the very bottom of the province on Cape Sable Island
Lots of twisties here so lots of fun. long time bike rider Millwright by trade x military navy stoker
I will be as active as possible will ask questions and offer suggestions
Hi to all
Peter

hello from Oxfordshire England, I have a 1991 model with 24000 miles on, just a few issues to sort out and then a general tidy up of the paint etc.

Good Morning,

I’ve wanted a Vmax since the very first commercial I saw back in the mid ‘80s, since the very first time I saw one in the showrooms not long after. Was pondering a bike purchase earlier this year and was thinking Aprilia Tuono as my riding buddy has one and I love that v4 sound. Decided to scratch my long standing Vmax itch and v-4 itch at the same time. Really diggin the Vmax! Supertrapps will be going on soon. Like the riding position, sound, the style. Really liking this forum! A lot of folks sharing the same passion and sharing their failures and successes! Awesome. The max stands tall in my collection.

I just joined, because I finally got a VMax. Have had numerous Yamaha's over the years, from my first bike (Maxim 400) to my other bike now (XS Eleven Venturer) but always wanted a VMax - even had the "VMax Junior" (Radian 600) for quite a few years.

The bike is a 1988 with Hindle exhausts and a custom bright magenta paint job, in near-showroom condition. The shop specializes in mint condition used bikes and gives them a full tuneup, full checkover and a 100 km highway run before delivery, so the bike is in great shape for its age. Mine also needed a brake job to get everything up to spec, but everything was included in the sale price.

Looking forward to talking with other VMax enthusiasts.

View attachment 68835
Welcome to the group. Hey, I had an '81 XS1100 Venturer also, made two trips to the west coast on that bike from Ohio. The only mod I did on the bike was a K&N carb kit, that thing was a beast. Wish I still had it, traded it for a new '85 HD FXRT with the new Evo motor. I can't explain some of my past decisions.

Hi all, as the topic says this is my first post. Actually second. I recently purchased 2016 euro spec 60th year color schemed Vmax 3200 kms on the clock. I am from Istanbul Turkey. Hope to participate to topics frequently.

Hello, new member here from finland! heres my 86 max with 98 engine!vemaxx.jpeg

Back