Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up a nice 1992. It rides well, but I'll need some highway pegs...any suggestions?

LM

Hi, new to the site. Just wanted to say hello, I just joined today and I’m learning to navigate the site so I’m hoping this is the right place to make my first post. I just picked up a 1989 Vmax, I had a 97 Vmax for 10 years and had to sell it. So I’m pretty familiar with the first gen. Just glad to have another one and to find this forum. Looks like tons of information. Glad to be aboard, thanks

hello all newbies, I'm new too, it doesn't look like new 'hellos' get responded to so don't take offence, dig into the information sources and join in where you can, I am and it's a good site :D

New guy here (Rick) from Sarasota, FL. Just picked up a 1988 Vmax a couple weeks ago. Even though I'm 62 I have always had Sportbikes and currently ride a Aprilia RSVR. This is my first cruiser style bike. So far I'm pretty impressed with this bike especially being 31 years old it's actually amazing! I absolutely have to fix the front brakes and front suspension though. It feels like i can't stop it and have to use the rear brakes to stop quickly. The front suspension is mush also. I've been lurking here and see there are options to dealing with these issues. I am on it! Other than that, it seems like a great bike!

Xz3tvj9.jpg

hello, cruiser style bikes are much heavier on the rear so the rear brake is more effective that a sports bike one, as a sports bike front brakes can 'stoppie' the bike which renders the rear useless, cruisers are meant to have soggy suspension so you can waft and wallow along :D

Hello every one my name is tyler. I've wanted a vmax for years and i finnaly got into one with an offer i couldn't turn down. It's a 1985 V-max looks like most everything is stock. It was a project from the time i said i do. It's been sitting for a bout 7 years and you guessed it it was parked with fuel in it. Tank and carbs were pulled cleaned rebuilt and reassembled. Everything seems right with the carbs as i am getting good fuel and i synced the carbs the best i could as the rear cylinders will not fire. I've done some info scavenging here before i posted and trouble shoot the electrical best i could. The bike fires instantly and even idles with no choke, but the rear two cylinders will not fire. Things i've done. The battery and plugs were changed. A little oil was put in cylinders to prevent dry start. oil was changed. Starter went almost immediatly so it was replaced. Now i have good crank the starter clutch goes. Starter clutch was replaced. The fuel pump quit. So i replaced the fuel pump. The v-boost controler only cycles upon startup when i wiggle the wire with cap off the box. The bike finally started and sounds like a loud lawnmower. putting a temp gun on all cylinders it's obvious the rear cylinders are not firing. All conections on the entire bike were seperated and cleaned with contact cleaner. All grounds were removed including the rectifier cleaned and reassembled. As it is an 85 with stock electrical i point my finger. Upon removal of the stator for starter clutch replacment i had noticed small cracks in stator. i wanted to see it run so it was reassembled and noted for further consideration. Checking the spark on rear cylinders is inconsistant weak to almost non exsistant. Checking the orange to black wire coming from pickup is 120 ohms and the 30 amp fuse is good. There is always debate on strucural integrety of the wiring the three white wires look like run of the mill hardware store bullet conectors mabey a fault. I would like to invest a little to the things i know have room for improvment with a new stator. i'm up in the air on replacing the pickups just because they are 30 yrs old. i'd like to get into a ignitech ignition to enjoy the fruits of a rev limiter and eliminate the bad v-boost control box unless the ignitech actually uses the box correct me if it plugs into ignition box or replaces it. new regulator rectifier and appropriate wiring connections. Sorry for the long ass post but i know it's hard getting a feel for someone else's problems without info and i'm sure i forgot stuff. any input would be greatly appreciated. trying to get a feel for sourcing parts sounds like sean is a go to guy. I've been looking at rm stator and regulator rectifier.com. any input?

Hello all. I joined a while ago and just bought my second VMAX, a 1993. So good to have somewhere to get good info on these bikes.1993 VMAX.jpg

Joined a short time ago and already have spent time here just looking and learning. Appears to be a good Forum. I sold my 13' 'built to the hilt' Harley Streetbob to get MR. Max. Went with a buddy to look at a different bike, walked around the corner and it was love at first sight. 5 days later it was home. 550 miles later it was taken apart. Mods include: 'Nash' Flash, Dynojet Power Commander V, major air box mods, K&N, Delkevic 8 inch round Carbon Fiber exhaust system (no baffles per Tim Nash and above 5 grand it's LOUD), and DD clutch upgrade (and NO that does not make your hand hurt...smh). Dyno'd at 197. Next up will be a Holeshot Performance/Corbin front seat and 'gunfighter tail'... LOVE the bike.VMax side photo.jpg

Hey, I’m new to the site also.
I picked up an 86 vmax two years ago. The bike didn’t run for 7 years and also needed an inspection.
After painting the bike and engine, replacing all fluids, rebuilding the carbs, added progressive front shocks... and the list goes on and on. I did all the work myself other than the tires.
Very fun bike to ride and easy to work on for the most part.
This forum has helped me a lot with many different repairs. Happy to be part of the group

Joined a short time ago and already have spent time here just looking and learning. Appears to be a good Forum. I sold my 13' 'built to the hilt' Harley Streetbob to get MR. Max. Went with a buddy to look at a different bike, walked around the corner and it was love at first sight. 5 days later it was home. 550 miles later it was taken apart. Mods include: 'Nash' Flash, Dynojet Power Commander V, major air box mods, K&N, Delkevic 8 inch round Carbon Fiber exhaust system (no baffles per Tim Nash and above 5 grand it's LOUD), and DD clutch upgrade (and NO that does not make your hand hurt...smh). Dyno'd at 197. Next up will be a Holeshot Performance/Corbin front seat and 'gunfighter tail'... LOVE the bike.View attachment 69924
Welcome to the site.
That's a beauty of a gen 2!

Hey, I’m new to the site also.
I picked up an 86 vmax two years ago. The bike didn’t run for 7 years and also needed an inspection.
After painting the bike and engine, replacing all fluids, rebuilding the carbs, added progressive front shocks... and the list goes on and on. I did all the work myself other than the tires.
Very fun bike to ride and easy to work on for the most part.
This forum has helped me a lot with many different repairs. Happy to be part of the group

Sounds like a lot of work!
Glad to hear you got it up and running.
Welcome to the site.

0B46510C-9AF2-4EE7-9543-5EFA698727D1.jpeg Hey everyone! Joined about a week ago. Just picked up a ‘01 VMAX in Indiana and rode it to AZ where I live. The bike used to belong to my dad before passing away and was with another family member until I could afford it. Looking forward to having the bike for a very long time and can’t wait to learn everything about it. This seems like the place to help with that

Hello folks! Not new to motorcycles, however new to Yamaha street bikes. I just picked up this 02 for some light change and she needs a little love'n. I'm looking forward to playing with the old gal. Here is a pic of how I found her.
IMG_20190812_183914_01.jpg

Hello folks! Not new to motorcycles, however new to Yamaha street bikes. I just picked up this 02 for some light change and she needs a little love'n. I'm looking forward to playing with the old gal. Here is a pic of how I found her.
View attachment 69957

Looks like someone put some money into it back then.
Aftermarket exhaust, sportmax seat, sportmax frame braces, case guards with highway pegs, aftermarket front brake master cylinder, mirrors, bar ends..

Looks like someone put some money into it back then.
Aftermarket exhaust, sportmax seat, sportmax frame braces, case guards with highway pegs, aftermarket front brake master cylinder, mirrors, bar ends..

I was told that the exhaust system is a 4-1 Hindle. The bike has wider bars with risers on it. I told the entire front brake system is off of a R1 and was an upgrade to a dual piston caliper. Progressive springs both front and rear. She has the typical 2nd gear curse and has been sitting since 09.

I was told that the exhaust system is a 4-1 Hindle. The bike has wider bars with risers on it. I told the entire front brake system is off of a R1 and was an upgrade to a dual piston caliper. Progressive springs both front and rear. She has the typical 2nd gear curse and has been sitting since 09.

Not sure who made that high exit exhaust you have on there. Its not a very common item. Maybe someone else on here knows?
The calipers look like "blue spots" off an R1 as mentioned.
If you shoot Sean Morley and email, he can fix you up with all the parts you need (and some great advise too) for a 2nd gear repair. [email protected]

Found out more about the exhaust. Come to find out I bought the bike from the original owner. He said the following about the exhaust: Bought brand new straight from Kindle. When he got the exhaust, the muffler was so long that it stuck out past the rear fender. So they sent him a shorter one. Once installed it close to the ground. So he called them up and asked about a fix. They sent him that upside exhaust pipe putting the muffler where we see it

Found out more about the exhaust. Come to find out I bought the bike from the original owner. He said the following about the exhaust: Bought brand new straight from Kindle. When he got the exhaust, the muffler was so long that it stuck out past the rear fender. So they sent him a shorter one. Once installed it close to the ground. So he called them up and asked about a fix. They sent him that upside exhaust pipe putting the muffler where we see it
Looks like a modified version of their high mount system

Latest posts

Back