Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Always remember what this season is all about and always be thankful because there is always someone out there that has it much worse than any of us and you never know who it is.

God Bless everyone ride safe
Darren

Hi there,

I'm new to this Forum.

I'm 48, german, but living in Phoenix Arizona since about 6 years now.

Riding experience is 26 years with some breaks in between where I did not have a chance to ride a bike.

After a long struggle, in temporary absence of my wife (she travelled to Germany) I treated myself with a new 2019 VMax in Raven Matte Black this week.

I had different bikes in the past (VFR750, GS500, SV650, Speed Triple 955, Buell Blast (lol), Shadow 600, K1200S, K1300S, Intruder 1400, Z1000, Vulcan 1600, ...).
The K1300S and the Vulcan 1600 are still in my Garage.
Since I don't feel comfortable with the Sport / Sport Touring Position on the K1300S anymore, I got myself a cruiser, the Vulcan which I do enjoy, but I'm missing some power here....

I already started some modding, LED conversion etc. Amazon is a good an quick source for some parts.

Wish me luck when my wife returns and find this baby in the garage. :D

Btw, as I do like to create my own stuff. Has anybody the dimension of the tidy (or similar) Fender Eliminator available? From hole to hole, length, width, all those details?
I don't want to take the fender off just to measure.
I have access to Solidworks, 3D Printers, Laser Cutters, so sometimes I'm using this to create Stuff (besides blink blink stuff for my wife).

Thorsten

Too funny. I too neglected to tell my wife when I bought my 2017 VMax. I told her I was thinking about getting a bike and showed up with it soon after. I never regretted it. She was surprised but not too upset. I have updated everything about it. Corbin fender. Led lights (flush mounted). New mirrors with blinkers. Lowered pegs. Sound bomb horn. Black ferings. Flashed the ecu. Full akrapovic exaust. Double clutch mod. Airbox mod. Cruise control. And cruiser pegs. It's what we all do. So have fun.

Mods will come over time. I did already some modifications, LEDs, LED flasher relay, testing some mirrors (Handlebar and others).

I need to read into the different things.... lot of stuff.

Currently I'm preparing my K1300S for sale.

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-02 at 09.41.12.jpeg

Kinda a before and after.

Attachments

• 20180321_112554.jpg
    20180321_112554.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190425_151047.jpg
    20190425_151047.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 20
Kinda a before and after.
Nice.

I found a Taillight with integrated Turn Signals on Amazon ... Maybe I give this a try when cleaning up the tail.

On top, I found one of these Number Plates which have some sort of Electronic inside to detect if you are braking / decelerating, giving the tailgaters a flash pattern.
I have one similar on my Bmw, which gives a pattern once you apply the brakes.

On top, there is this smart electronics to mount INSIDE the bike, which does the same, giving flash pattern etc once you use engine brak etc.

I will try once I have all the parts here.

Btw, is there any chance you can measure the rear fender part (the hole pattern which attaches the plate holder etc to the bike) (if you have it disassembled, if not, will do it once I rip everything apart)

The original lights that came with the bike put too much pressure on the corbin fender and it cracked. I got a replacement and switched to the flush mounted lights. So I do have that broken part. I'll look for it and measure the holes.

Cool, thanks. Maybe a picture of it and just paint the numbers / distances in it.

I trust my 3D Printing material, so I believe a Numberplate Holder can be printer or cut from Plexiglass or both combined

The original lights that came with the bike put too much pressure on the corbin fender and it cracked. I got a replacement and switched to the flush mounted lights. So I do have that broken part. I'll look for it and measure the holes.

Just Curious, When you installed the Corbin Fender... Is this why you repainted the bike from Red to Black?

(I had a New 2014 with the OEM Flat/Satin Gray paint and I did not like the color. I WAS, pleasantly surprised at the Power these bikes have though... Dayemn!!)

Looking back, that Satin Gray Color may have been the main reason I sold it. I think the Only reason I bought my 2017 is that I thought the Red really looked good on the bike (IMO).

Not required to measure anymore, I just ripped everything apart.

Hello everyone, new to the forum and new 2001 VMax owner. I've wanted one since they came out and decided that it was as good a time as any to own one. I look forward to interacting and becoming part of this community. I am a hands on kind of a guy and can't help but to make improvements and do my own repairs. Hopefully I bought the bike that won't require a lot of that for a while.

Not required to measure anymore, I just ripped everything apart.
upload_2020-2-5_8-52-2.png

First draft of my selfmade Fender Eliminator
Will use threaded rivet nuts to put things together.
Using the for the top part 1/4" Plexiglass. If not strong enough, I will use 2 sheets.

Hello. New to the forum and glad to be among so many V-Max enthusiasts. I own a 1998 V-Max with the Holeshot exhaust system and I've changed to a Renthal handle bars setup that I'm used to on my motocross bike. Gives it a nice feel. Have lots of questions and think this forum has a wealth of knowledge. Thank you!

Hello all!
I was given a 1985 Vmax by a brother. He was moving and did not want to move it. He laziness is (was) my gain!
As far as I know it is a stock bike, with only 14,390 on it. When it was given to me, (back in June) it had not been started in 4 or so years. I was able to get it going using a hanging fuel bottle. The tank was effin NASTY!
My original plan was to make this a track bike because I have never been on a track & you gotta start somewhere, right?! Well, life is what happens as you're making plans. Now, I NEED to get the sold.
So, per TK3333 recommendation (we belong to another forum together) I have come here to gather some knowledge to get the bike running well enough that I do not feel like I selling a basket case to the next owner.

With all that said, I will start looking and asking questions. I know my fellow bikers/motorcycle enthusiasts love to share their knowledge, their mistakes, and most importantly their wins.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I suggest removing the gas tank and following directions on here to clean it. If it's badly-rusted, you may want to seal it. There are directions for that, too. The carbs are probably filled with crud and should be disassembled and cleaned. You can do it yourself if you're a skilled do-it yourself'er, or, and I suggest this, remove them, make sure they are well drained, and send them to dannymax or to Sean Morley, look at the banner ads at the top of the page. You will get them back, and all you will need to do is to install 'em and synch 'em, an easy, quick thing to do if you have the correct gauges, which aren't expensive, and which will pay for themselves the 1st time you use 'em, compared to having it done at the shop.

As-old as it is, it's not uncommon for the rubber donuts between the airbox and the carb tops, the bottom of the carbs and the VBoost manifold, or the O-rings between the VBoost manifold and the engine (requires airbox, carb, and VBoost removal to access the O-rings) to need to be replaced, They dry-out, and you get air leaks, causing poor operation. There are various ways to try to fix that, but the best way is with new parts. Sean Morley ([email protected]) will be the first one to tell you, "O.E.M. parts only, please!"). There are aftermarket suppliers of the rubber carb donuts you can try, but you know O.E.M. fits and works best.

I wouldn't even try to run the bike on the uncleaned tank (a good thing to try to get it running on an exterior tank), and it would be a total waste of time and $$ to clean the carbs and hook it back-up to the uncleaned tank. Don't forget to change the gas filter, and check the gas lines. There is a molded-rubber T gas line in the carb block assembly, just do yourself a favor and buy a replacement now. As-old as your bike is, it will probably tear-apart when the carbs are disassembled. If you're sending the carbs off, it will be replaced. There is another molded rubber gas line you don't need to replace with the factory line, it's the U-shaped hose on-top of the gas tank, under the seat. You can just get a longer length of gas line, and make a gradual loop to replace it. Avoid bending it too-sharp, to-where it kinks.

A word on using an exterior tank, if you bypass the fuel pump and connect directly to the carbs: you need to hold the exterior tank well-above the bike, to give the gas some 'head' for the gas to-flow into the carbs. If you try to hang it off the handlebars, at the level of the handlebars, you won't have sufficient 'head' to allow the gas to flow sufficiently to fill the carb bowls.

I suggest using some product like Deoxit to clean the electrical connectors, and a dab of dielectric grease on the contacts before re-connecting things. Old harnesses are prone to corrosion. One place where you are likely to find corrosion and possibly a crumbling nylon plug is from the stator to the regulator/rectifier connector. Many people solder this connector ass'y. It doesn't matter which of the 3 wires goes to the other wires from the R/R. Just make sure you wrap w/tape or heat-shrink tubing the splices. Also, remove and clean/sand-down the R/R point of attachment, as the attachment is the ground for the electrical system at that point (there are other grounds in the harness, one by the right engine cover above the footpeg) and it needs to be clean and tight to work. Dielectric grease between the R/R and the left rear footpeg carrier is a good idea.

You should also do the 'crimp-fix,' where you solder a critical wire connection inside the wire harness which has a brass crimp connector underneath the wire wrappings. It's above the battery, in the vicinity of the ignition coils, and should be done. Your charging rate will probably increase.

There are plenty of other things to do. Flushing your brakes with new fluid is one, the clutch too, and check the slave cylinder for clutch actuation, it's a known point of leakage. There are stickies on replacement of the clutch slave cylinder. You can clean the old one, and use a rebuild kit, I suggest just buying a new one, as parts are available. Same thing for the clutch and front brake master cylinders, I but new instead of messing-around with rebuild kits. For now, I would just go w/O.E.M., as people who have tried aftermarket master cylinders have encountered various issues with them not allowing proper brake or clutch operation. Bleeding the brakes and clutch systems, use a 'reverse-bleed' and the work will go much quicker. I used a Mityvac since the early 1980's when I got my 1st one, but on my VMax, a reverse-bleed is quickest, and it pushes any trapped air bubbles out of the system. Just be careful with the master cylinder, as you can end-up with spilled corrosive brake fluid on your paint and engine. Once you see a steady stream of brake fluid filling the open master cylinder, add additional fluid to fill the master cylinder to the proper level, re-cap the master cylinder, and 'fan' the lever a few times, you should get a firm brake or clutch lever quickly.

That should get you started.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, waiting on delivery of my (new to me) 2017 Vmax. It just reached 30F here in Wisconsin today so will not likely be riding for some time. I have a question regarding the paint of this particular Vmax as I have yet to see another like it. I have a feeling that the PO brought this bike to get painted as the Blue looks a different shade than the typical Yamaha Electric Blue. Got a pretty good deal on the bike, Free shipping, new tires, full ceramic coating.

Mods I plan on doing:
Larger Tank
Delkevik SL10 Exhaust
Highway Pegs
Matte black plastics
Dog-carrier top bag
Dyno tune
Frame sliders

Thank you!

-Brandon

Vmax full left.jpg Vmax full.JPG

Attachments

• Vmax 3-4 shot.jpg
    Vmax 3-4 shot.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Vmax Rear.jpg
    Vmax Rear.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 17
  • Vmax Seat.jpg
    Vmax Seat.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 20
I own one that I bought new. The original color was fire engine red. I've changed mine to mat dark gray. I kept the original fairings.

Attachments

• f8884c57115630bcf8c8b3356b4ab15c.jpg
    f8884c57115630bcf8c8b3356b4ab15c.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back