Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vmax will work fine for short to mid lenght jaunts, provided you replace the brick yamaha saw fit to call a seat. Looks are in the eye yadda yadda- I personally went with the single seat mod so I couldn't make it work but check out the Maxgasser. I think it looks pretty trick and it is very highly thought of. Or you want to retain the stock style Sean Morley of Morley Muscle offers his version also widely praised. I'd suggest you get some highway pegs or at least some crash bars so you can change your footing.

Justify it however you have to, just so long as you get the bike...but if you were after comfort solely you'd be on the 'wing forum. :smile:

Welcome to the forum.

Vmax will work fine for short to mid lenght jaunts, provided you replace the brick yamaha saw fit to call a seat. Looks are in the eye yadda yadda- I personally went with the single seat mod so I couldn't make it work but check out the Maxgasser. I think it looks pretty trick and it is very highly thought of. Or you want to retain the stock style Sean Morley of Morley Muscle offers his version also widely praised. I'd suggest you get some highway pegs or at least some crash bars so you can change your footing.

Justify it however you have to, just so long as you get the bike...but if you were after comfort solely you'd be on the 'wing forum. :smile:

Welcome to the forum.
I will check out the Maxgasser. Maybe get a Wing in about 20 years. I'm still young enough to not want to be passed by my dad and his Harley buddies. :biglaugh:

Blurr gave some good advice about seats, I'm a Morley Muscle seat owner and couldn't be happier! I've done 600+ mile days and had no problems (undue soreness or lasting aches). I have set of simple frame bolt on foot pegs (Kuryakin) but probably will upgrade those to Kuryakin longhorn style adaptor since the add some adjustability and are a little wider.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new purchase! Well be here to help!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk w/ vboost!

This is the one I currently am seeking. It has a crash bar and highway peg set up of some sort. Can any of the experts tell me more about it? Brand etc. Aslo, any other insight into the mods on this one that you guys have would be helpful. I am hoping to look at it in person this week.
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3940991574.html

Yamaha didn't start adding those fork protectors till 2002, I believe.
Maybe this bike was involved in a front-ender, requiring new forks? I'd check into it's history.
Cheers!

Yamaha didn't start adding those fork protectors till 2002, I believe.
Maybe this bike was involved in a front-ender, requiring new forks? I'd check into it's history.
Cheers!

Miles has a point. I'd be interested to hear the story about the forks.

It has Cobra slip on exhaust. Lots of guys dig the looks and sound but be warned that this setup will LOSE HP over the stock exhaust. I'd ask if he has the stock mufflers. If the bike were mine, I wouldn't hesitate to return to stock and sell the Cobras

Based on the accessories (wind shield, big cruising pegs, saddle bags....) I'd guess its owned by an older gentleman that enjoys cruising. Hard to tell from pictures but it appears clean/cared for.

I'd ask about the forks, look over the frame down tubes near the radiator for any signs of dents or kinks, check the steering stops for damage (all based on possiblity of front end collision) and if all is well give him an offer.

Welcome Aboard Broncofan( I live in New England , I just cant say bronc's rule) I don't like the location of that exhaust looks like it could hurt, as for the seat it's not a MAXGASSER and all those cut down stock seats look the same to me:confused2:

This is the one I currently am seeking. It has a crash bar and highway peg set up of some sort. Can any of the experts tell me more about it? Brand etc. Aslo, any other insight into the mods on this one that you guys have would be helpful. I am hoping to look at it in person this week.
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3940991574.html
While I agree that this one does look well cared for, I have to concur that the history needs to be checked. I imagine that he could have had the fork protectors added when he did the Progressive springs, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Another possibility. http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3903370172.html . Anyone seen a Hindle highmount before? Can't find any info on it. Looks like it might be too close to the wifes leg...Also, any idea what kind of seat that is?
I have seen images on the net before of a high mount exhaust like that, but never in person. And I have to concur that it DOES look rather close to where your wife's leg would be if she rode with you. If you plan on doin 2up riding any, I would personally recommending passing on this one, just for that reason.

The blue one is a salvaged title. Its out of the running. I will inquire about the history on the other one. If it checks out, and my money comes through before he sells it to someone else, I am going to make an offer. I like the carbon look, and will deal with the Cobras for a bit. Thanks for all the good advice so far.

Welcome Aboard Broncofan( I live in New England , I just cant say bronc's rule) I don't like the location of that exhaust looks like it could hurt, as for the seat it's not a MAXGASSER and all those cut down stock seats look the same to me:confused2:

Looks like a sportmax seat. They aren't the most comfortable out there; I have one and like it quite abit but it takes some getting used too. It actually moves you lower and little more forward in a locked in position. Personally I think it is more sport than comfort, though it is more so than stock.

And here she is! 2003, 10k miles, bone stock, and showroom condition. I'm the 2nd owner, and the previous owner was a little obsessive about the care and maintenance. My first impressions (this is my first Vmax, although I've been lusting after one since I knew of their existence) are that it's surprisingly civilized. I was worried that it would feel like an untamed beast even around town. Instead, it's quiet, refined, and easily handled in the putter around town mode. Smooth and soft and feels like a small engine Japanese bike. That is until the edge of town is reached and it jumps to triple digit speeds with a few quick gear clicks. Like everyone says, there doesn't seem to be any roll off in the power band. It just pulls and pulls the higher the rpms.
album.php

Hello to everyone. Thank you for having me here, and a HUGE thank you to all the members that have contributed to one hell of a forum. I don't know if I'm more impressed with my new Max, or this site. The amount of information available here is awesome! I can't thank you all enough.

I recently purchased a 2007 Vmax with a scant 5500 miles. I was looking for a bike that wasn't a sport bike and wasn't a cruiser. Most of the people/dealers out there just gave me a blank stare when I'd tell 'em this and I'd walk away thinking "I know what I want, and I know there's got to be a bike out there for me". I'd heard of the Vmax before, but didn't know much about it, that is until I did a Google search for motorcycles with mid-controls. Bingo... Vmax, a muscle bike. Woohoo!!! That's it. That's got to be the bike for me. A new one was out of the question (I didn't want to spend that kind of money) so it had to be used. I spent hours reading the forum just to get a little familiar with the Vmax, but basically just glanced at the tech stuff. There was just too much to look at.

I soon found a 2007 and the rest as they say is history. The thing was super clean, and looked like it had been owned by a fair day weekend rider. The only warning sign I could see was the pilot jet caps had been removed. (I learned to look for that here.) I figured there couldn't be much if anything wrong with it, and having owned a few motorcycles in the past, I could probably wrench it myself.

Within a day or two of bringing it home, it began running crappy at low speed. Again, from what I learned here, I knew it had to be something with the idle circuit. I bought some Start Your Engines, and it helped a lot but it still ran crappy especially when hot. I started to get a little frustrated, but forged ahead with reading the technical stuff here. Pea Shooter, Shotgun, Charging circuit, COP upgrade, just to name a few. Armed with this knowledge, I've replaced the plugs, put in a new battery (wasn't providing enough voltage), and adjusted the PAJ1 settings.

Almost there, but not quite. Still an occasional miss and some hesitation when hot and it's real odd that just one exhaust pipe (#3) is bluing. According to all the great folks here, bluing is indicating lean, so the next step is obviously the Shotgun which I started this evening. I got everything torn down and backed out the pilot needles, without using compressed air, and lo and behold there's no o-ring and washer on the #3 PAJ1.

I'm real confident that after I put in a replacement Pilot Jet kit, I'll be running great since everything else in the carbs looks just like new.

I guess I got long winded in my first post, but I really wanted y'all to know that I couldn't have gotten this far without the help from the great people on this forum. I hope I can reciprocate with contributing something useful here, or helping a fellow maxer in need.

Warm regards,
Kirk

Well, I struck a deal on this one, paying $4500 (http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3940991574.html). Picking it up on Tuesday. I will deal with the Cobra pipes at some point, but it will be fine to get me started, sounds good so far:biglaugh:. I think I am gonna go in the Muscle seat direction. I like the looks, should be more comfort for me and the wife. As far as the exhaust goes, I would prefer something black, maybe the supertrapps. I Like the sportbike look better than the slash cut/chrome. Any advice is always good.

Welcome Crusher!.....Your not that far from us GR Hooligans, we need to get together for a ride!!.......................Tom.

welcome to the site

And here she is! 2003, 10k miles, bone stock, and showroom condition. I'm the 2nd owner, and the previous owner was a little obsessive about the care and maintenance. My first impressions (this is my first Vmax, although I've been lusting after one since I knew of their existence) are that it's surprisingly civilized. I was worried that it would feel like an untamed beast even around town. Instead, it's quiet, refined, and easily handled in the putter around town mode. Smooth and soft and feels like a small engine Japanese bike. That is until the edge of town is reached and it jumps to triple digit speeds with a few quick gear clicks. Like everyone says, there doesn't seem to be any roll off in the power band. It just pulls and pulls the higher the rpms.
album.php

Back