As bad as it gets!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdt354

Reaction score
I'm sure many of you have read about the awful accident in New Hampshire last Friday. 7 people were killed on motorcycles when a truck and trailer collided with a group ride of the Jarheads MC of Massachusetts. There were a few injured also. It was the worst motorcycle accident in state history. My prayers go out to all the deceased, their families & friends.
https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20190623/riverside-man-among-victims-in-nh-motorcycle-crash
Be careful out there everybody, cages and trucks aren't paying attention to us like they should.
Steve-o

I have been following that story closely. Sadly no new news on this has came out. I have researched the trucking company and found that its pretty much on par with any other company out there and in the last 2 years have had no traffic collisions. I am reserving my opinion on what may have happened as it may seem cut and dry, there could have been other factors at play that arent being reported.

At the very least, its always a tragedy when bikers fall and are taken too soon from us. But I take solace that if I were to go, I would want to go doing what I loved with the people I love.

The driver has been charged with vehicular homicide. Still more questions than answers. The truth is coming out soon. I hate being the bearer of bad news. But I want it to impact every rider possible. Motivate people to be aware, careful, protect themselves.

I've read a few articles about it, one of riders that was involved but escaped injury, the way he talked it was like the truck driver intentionally turned into them, got out of the truck and ran around screaming after the Carnage. And the driver has a history of dui/dwi, been stopped twice for it prior to this incident.

Terrible deal!! About 500' down the road from their motel. The NTSB has assigned a team of course and announced it will be an 8 - 10 month investigation (think that was their time frame) so not looking for anything anytime soon.

Being Marines it's safe to assume they are a little better trained than a lot of other people, sharper perceptions and quicker reactions. If such a large number of the group was unable to get out of the way it probly went down very, very quickly.

Terrible deal!! About 500' down the road from their motel. The NTSB has assigned a team of course and announced it will be an 8 - 10 month investigation (think that was their time frame) so not looking for anything anytime soon.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-mass-rmv-head-resigns-004453991.html

As always, there will lots more to this story as it develops. Based on this story, the state failed to revoke this kids license 1 month prior for suspected DUI refusing the breathalyzer test. He also had a prior DUI when he was 17. While that prior charge could be nothing more than a punk kid doing what punk kids do, its starting to develop a pattern.

The NTSB has assigned a team of course and announced it will be an 8 - 10 month investigation (think that was their time frame) so not looking for anything anytime soon.

There's no logical reason it should take that long... none!

Being Marines it's safe to assume they are a little better trained than a lot of other people, sharper perceptions and quicker reactions. If such a large number of the group was unable to get out of the way it probly went down very, very quickly.

AND... Very DELIBERATELY!

You're riding and an obstacle like a flatbed is coming right at you. There's no time or space to avoid it. What is your strategy?
Do you eject over the top, pushing off the bars? That's what I was taught at riding school. Or do you lay it down and slide under? There isn't much time to decide. That's why a plan, of some sorts has got to at least be considered. Hopefully non of us ever need to be in that position.

Drugs were found at the drivers residence, heroin it is believed. That trailer also looked like it required brakes, anyone else got an idea about brakes on the trailer?

More about this kid keeps coming out. Like how he rolled a truck one week prior in Texas. A DUI a month prior in Mass. I read alot about people stating a rider could have caused the kid to over react despite reports from survivors and other motorists claiming he was driving erratically. Based on the kids past.....He is a green card holder(recently obtained), I think the kid done fucked up big time. And I dont think he will see any real time because of it.

More about this kid keeps coming out. Like how he rolled a truck one week prior in Texas. A DUI a month prior in Mass. I read alot about people stating a rider could have caused the kid to over react despite reports from survivors and other motorists claiming he was driving erratically. Based on the kids past.....He is a green card holder(recently obtained), I think the kid done fucked up big time. And I dont think he will see any real time because of it.

On my second day driving through Mexico, I had an accident on my motorcycle. (No green card) Does that mean my being white has something to do with it? Sometimes shit happens that we don't want to happen. Am I saying he should be set free without any consequences? No. But leave the racist stuff out of the equation. Every country in the word has bad accidents that hurt all involved.

On my second day driving through Mexico, I had an accident on my motorcycle. (No green card) Does that mean my being white has something to do with it? Sometimes shit happens that we don't want to happen. Am I saying he should be set free without any consequences? No. But leave the racist stuff out of the equation. Every country in the word has bad accidents that hurt all involved.
I’m curious to ur comment about stating someone’s citizenship is racist. The way I took it was that he is not familiar or respectful of the laws based on not being from the U.S.

Ok...that soap box....please get off it. The kid who caused the wreck is WHITE. I am a white boy too. So....a white guy stating a white guys citizenship status is a MOOT point. I think you are trying to stir something that isnt there.

My comment about him not serving any real time is an observation based on my experiences of how the US court systems work. I was 17 when my then girlfriend was hit and killed by a drunk driver. That driver was sentenced to 18 months with 3 years probation. Is that justice for a life taken?

In my state of New Mexico(drunk driving capitol of the US), You hear TONS of stories of drunk drivers killing people and getting slapped on the wrist. Drunk drivers in NM end up getting numerous DUI convictions and continue to drive. I think the person with the most in New Mexico is 24 DUI convictions. This observation is NOT a race issue but a judicial issue. The kid will be convicted. There is no doubt about that. But instead of spending life in prison for killing 7 people, I will bet that this kid gets a couple years per person.

Final point....When you were driving through Mexico, did you happen to kill 7 people? Green card vs passport I think is the takeaway of legality between your case and this one.

You're riding and an obstacle like a flatbed is coming right at you. There's no time or space to avoid it. What is your strategy?
When I had my final evaluation before getting my certificate of completion of the MSF/RSS course, the instructor told me the only problem I exhibited was that my focus was too near. He said I needed to learn how to "...scan a 12-to-14 second path of travel... This will give you time to prepare for a situation before it is in your immediate path." Quoted from my 1996 copy of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Inc. Motorcycle RiderCourse Riding and Street Skills.

His pointing this out to me has saved my life countless times! 12 to 14 seconds of time is plenty. If that hadn't saved them, then making "SIPDE" a continuous and repeating practice throughout the ride would have.

Maybe not on this list, but I have said it countless times; "If I am riding a motorcycle and I get into a wreck... its MY FAULT NO EXCUSES! NO ASSIGNATION OF BLAME ON SOMEONE ELSE!"

EVEN in this case, there is something EACH one of these guys could have done to prevent being involved. Couldn't do anything because they were riding in a group and it was a chain reaction? I don't know the situation immediately before this disaster but even chain reactions CAN be prevented!

Last edited:

Do “You People” (who play the “race card” any time they want to push their Liberal/Progressive bona fides) NEVER tire of trying to shame Us into silence!?

I'M A RACIST, since I have a different opinion from yours. By your puerile definition EVERYONE IS A RACIST. Grow up! Find a new flail! This one is USED UP!

We Conservative Americans don’t give a DAMN how you label us!

When I had my final evaluation before getting my certificate of completion of the MSF/RSS course, the instructor told me the only problem I exhibited was that my focus was too near. He said I needed to learn how to "...scan a 12-to-14 second path of travel... This will give you time to prepare for a situation before it is in your immediate path." Quoted from my 1996 copy of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Inc. Motorcycle RiderCourse Riding and Street Skills.

His pointing this out to me has saved my life countless times! 12 to 14 seconds of time is plenty. If that hadn't saved them, then making "SIPDE" a continuous and repeating practice throughout the ride would have.

Maybe not on this list, but I have said it countless times; "If I am riding a motorcycle and I get into a wreck... its MY FAULT!" NO EXCUSES! NO ASSIGNATION OF BLAME ON SOMEONE ELSE!

EVEN in this case, there is something EACH one of these guys could have done to prevent being involved. Couldn't do anything because they were riding in a group and it was a chain reaction? I don't know the situation immediately before this disaster but even chain reactions CAN be prevented!

110% agree with this. New Mexico is great cause I can see alot further than 12-14 seconds. Its what helps me maintain the shiny side up. The ONLY time I get nervous is cresting a hill. I cant see on the other side and no matter how far you scan....earth is a crazy thing to see through. But how I do that is I move close to the right shoulder so in case someone is in the other lane, I have a chance. Nothing you stated here is wrong and if bikers adhered to this better, less tragedy would happen.

While I have no issues with group riders, alot of them need to develop a different method than the 2x2 riding on the road. My old crew I used to ride with, single file....always. Just cause you can fit 2 in a lane side by side, doesnt mean you should. But thats just this crazy old codgers opinion.

110% agree with this. New Mexico is great cause I can see alot further than 12-14 seconds. Its what helps me maintain the shiny side up. The ONLY time I get nervous is cresting a hill. I cant see on the other side and no matter how far you scan....earth is a crazy thing to see through. But how I do that is I move close to the right shoulder so in case someone is in the other lane, I have a chance. Nothing you stated here is wrong and if bikers adhered to this better, less tragedy would happen.

While I have no issues with group riders, alot of them need to develop a different method than the 2x2 riding on the road. My old crew I used to ride with, single file....always. Just cause you can fit 2 in a lane side by side, doesnt mean you should. But thats just this crazy old codgers opinion.

I get on my wife about riding side by side, you have no room for error. We ride almost single file, but we are staggered maintaining a safe distance. I usually ride the whole lane, from center stripe to White stripe depending on the road. I don't like hovering the white line........ Wild animals. Blind hills ain't bad, you can stand up on the max. It's blind corners I hate. Ever since my head on collision 6 years ago (in a cage) I don't like blind corners. Pretty sad I was almost to a stop, and got into a head on collision because the other guy was going to fast on a 90* turn with a frost on the road. Didn't even have the car 2 weeks, didn't even make a payment on it yet and it was at the body shop. Dodge nitro 1, Honda Civic 0, lol. Your not always gonna have an out plain and simple, you have to have reaction time, and your not always gonna have it. It's the risk we all take when we throw a leg over the seat, and pull out of the drive. In all reality your suppose to slow down for blind curves, do we?? No, most of us go oh let's see how fast I can take this one. Same with blind hills, if your over driving your line of sight, your reaction time is nil. Same at night with the low beam, your suppose to slow down, if your covering more ground than what your low beam illuminates you have no reaction time. Who adjusts their speed to maintain a safe reaction time when it's 80, and sunshine??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back