At a loss

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

#MAXV

Reaction score
Starter switch was not always making a good connection therefore sometimes it would not turn over. Took it a part and noticed (2) spade connectors located under the brake handle. 1 of them was very loose so I thought I found my issue. Slid the connector back on the terminal, and when I did that the I bent the terminal a bit. Now the switch does not work and I have no headlight. There is not even power to the headlight. I did sprayed WD-40 in the switch, still nothing. Jumped the starter solenoid and the bike fired right up. No headlight though. Bulb looks good, but still cannot start the bike with the switch. Thoughts?

I would guess those 2 connectors would be for the brake light.

First step is remove the saddle and check the fuses.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/slow-96-vmax.51883/#post-523221
Some links to switch/pod woes there, being solved. The brake light switch issue may be incidental to what's happened to you. The brake light switch shouldn't have any correlation to the engine start.

The headlight is on a relay which cuts power to the headlight when the starter button is pushed. Sometimes the starter button can stick where the headlight won't come back-on. disassembly of the pod, cleaning of corrosion and a bit of dielectric grease on the electrical contacts should restore function. I once had a broken spring in the starter button and used a ballpoint pen spring to restore its function.

Last edited:
I would guess those 2 connectors would be for the brake light.

First step is remove the saddle and check the fuses.
It was one of the 1st things I checked along with the headlight bulb. All were good

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/slow-96-vmax.51883/#post-523221
Some links to switch/pod woes there, being solved. The brake light switch issue may be incidental to what's happened to you. The brake light switch shouldn't have any correlation to the engine start.

The headlight is on a relay which cuts power to the headlight when the starter button is pushed. Sometimes the starter button can stick where the headlight won't come back-on. disassembly of the pod, cleaning of corrosion and a bit of dielectric grease on the electrical contacts should restore function. I once had a broken spring in the starter button and used a ballpoint pen spring to restore its function.
Tried that to no avail

Back