At my friend's south FL shop

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
So, a day of errands, I stopped @ my friend Steve's shop, Kyle's met him. Here are a couple of odd birds being serviced.

The first is a "Ghetto Turbo" Hyosung 650 v-twin. The bike is running a John Deere 53 mm turbo from a lawn tractor, an S&S Super E carb, a single stage lockup clutch, and lowered compression to let it live. It turned 65 rwhp w/of the lockup clutch before the stock clutch gave up the ghost on the dyno so it's received the new system. A fun bike that will provoke questions. Made by the shop.

The second is a (hold your breath, Kyle) early GL 1000 sporting Weber DCOE 40 mm twin pair of carbs, a carbon fiber fabbed battery & electrics tray under the seat, and aluminum gas tank, and a neat 4/2 exhaust system. Owners fabricated one piece seat & rear fender also in c-f.

Well, time to get some of my stuff done. I hope you enjoy them. Worth enlarging to see the details.

Attachments

• 20161228_133015_001.jpg
    20161228_133015_001.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20161228_133729.jpg
    20161228_133729.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 35
The GL 1000 pic didn't load so here it is.

Attachments

• 20161228_133729.jpg
    20161228_133729.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 21
So sad...on the way home, I got on the interstate (I-95) and two sportbikes ripped thru traffic, cutting lanes (not legal in FL) and doing it at what looked like triple digit speeds.

A bit down the road, and one of the guys was lying in the road, and it didn't appear as-though one arm was attached by much anymore. Fire/rescue approaching. Be careful on the streets, try to behave responsibly and watch out for inattentive drivers.

A South African guy, Willie, who is a body man, did the original layout of the GL 1000. He's just bought a sailboat w/another guy around the shop and they're soon to be off to S. America and the Caribbean. It's gonna look cool when they get done. The body Willie did is like an old Tracy integrated gas tank, seat, and rear fender, except he did the gas tank inside the frame rails, very 1970's/'80's cutting-edge sportbike. I think Ducati's F1 750 was like that, w/the gas tank inside the frame rails, and I think there was a Suzuki being campaigned back then.
ClickHandler.ashx

Here's another old GL 1000 I saw at Daytona a couple of years ago. Supercharged, and strip ready. I thought it could use more carburetion, but I am no strip expert.

By the way, since I cannot correct mistakes once it's posted, the caption on the 'Ghetto Turbo' should have read that the stock clutch went bad when they put it on the dyno, it turned 65 rwhp and had more to go, but no clutch. To fix that, Steve put a single-stage lockup clutch on it, requiring him to modify the clutch side cover to clear the bulkier centrifugal weights, he was working on that today when I was there. He also had to re-position the waste gate exhaust to clear the external AN oil lines he had to fabricate.

Pretty cool stuff. I like the old Wing

Attachments

• iphone pictures 6-26-2014 666.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 666.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back