ATGATT, pants, gloves and boots.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
So I always wear a lid now that I'm a grown-up and have long since moved away from that part of the motorcycling world where flat black invisibility is cool and no lid is optimal. Now I use full face lids w/o fail. I'm getting ready to buy a new one for the coming season. This has prompted me to look for the rest of the proper gear since I recently acquired a gixxer 1k and have not even ridden it yet, but some Youtube viewing has given me an idea how fast they are and how hard a person can hit the ground when they fuck up riding a 1000. I have not ridden this bike yet r/t snow, and I wont lie, I'm nervous about it and want adequate protection. I dont want to be a squid haha.

I have a good heavy Triumph leather and a Joe Rocket summer mesh jacket both with Kevlar shoulders and elbows. I feel adequately covered there but I will add some back protection to the existing jackets. I'll be picking up a new solid white Arai Signet GT for my weird shaped head.

What I have been wearing is usually urban style leather boots and blue jeans, but always with the jacket and lid, regardless of weather. Now I'm ready to move up to ATG ATT instead of some of the gear all the time.

I've been looking at gloves but the problem I always have is the L are not wide enough and XL are too long, wondering if anyone with wider paws out there can recommend anything not made in China that may work for L size with comfortable width. There is so much conflicting info out there that I cant get through a lot of it.

Boots, same issue, I wear an 11.5 wide, I can go with a 12 but they get a touch clunky. My urban boots are 11.5 EE and they fit great but I had to go to Tacoma to try and buy. I'm hoping for some proper riding boots that are comfortable enough to tour and walk with yet still offer visibility and protection without making me look like a Storm Trooper. Again something available in increased widths and not made in China. I'll have to go to Ft Collins to buy them (12 hour round trip, so it's all good) as its almost always a fit fail to order gloves or footwear online.

Pants, I've been looking at these. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airwave-2-pants in gray. I cant seem to find any locally to try on and I cant see where they are manufactured. Again I'm looking for something that gives me visibility and comfort without the boy racer look, and of course not made in China. I cant buy boots online, I have to try 50 pair of shoes/boots to find a pair that fit right. EDIT, I see that Airwaves are made in Vietnam, which is fine with me. I hope to try some on.

I'm just fishing for anyone that has some favorites that meet these criteria. I'm not sure if I can buy pants online, it depends on if riding pants are true to their stated size and I can measure waist and inseam, then order something that is likely to fit. I noticed that jeans mostly are highly inconsistent with sizing and must be tried on. Not sure if riding pants are that way too.

I have to go to Ft Collins pretty soon anyway, figured that would be a great time to find a large vendor of gear and try some stuff on, incl a new lid. Wisdom welcome and appreciated as I "Gear up" for the season I'm so looking forward to. I know there are more vendors near Denver but I cant get very far into the city without melting down haha. Ft Collins is a straight shot off the slab so less painful. Also any good vendors any Coloradans can recommend adjacent to Ft Collins? I know it's a lot, thanks for reading and sharing your favs.

TIA.

Last edited:
That pretty much sounds like me last year. In my dirt bike days, I had a some crashes that good gear would have saved significant injuries so I went head to toe with good mx gear. When I went to street it was basically just a fullface lid with whatever else I had to throw on depending on the weather. Last year I upgraded to all dedicated mc gear for the street. I wanted good protection but didnt want to look like i belonged on a track. Like you I need wide boots and cant get my hand in lg gloves and xl fingers are too long. WTF. I ended up getting all hot weather gear except pants which are Bull-It SR6 Jeans and added in knee and hip pads. They are pretty beefy and get hot in the summer but feel the protection they offer is worth it. I like the Rev-It Fly 2 gloves in XL & A'stars Roam 2 Air boots fit well. Olympia Hudson jacket takes me from early spring through late fall and topped off with a Bell SRT Modular. I am pretty happy with everything and it came in less than 1k for everything from Revzilla.Their reviews are very helpful, c.s., selection, & shipping are great and prices good if you look for sale and closeout pricing. Good luck with your new ride, be safe.

That seems to be exactly where I'm at. I'm making notes here on these.

I called some local places but all they have is MX gear and street gear like black leather vests and Village People chaps haha.

I see a couple places not to far from where I'm going, maybe swing through Cheyenne along the way too, there are a couple motorsports dealerships there too that look big enough to carry some protective stuff.

Even the bigger shops around have limited selection on gear and brands. The Revzilla showroom is about an hour away so I was able to go try on name brand gear to get my sizing right. Then I went home and did my shopping online through out the winter. I bought 1 piece of gear a month, by spring I was geared up. Hope you find the right gear and never have to "use" it.

Are the pants, in your experience, true to their size as opposed to off the shelf clothing made who knows where? I know some vendors do free returns/exchanges, maybe I need to see if Revzilla does.

Bull-It definately run a size small. Size up on them. Thats where the reviews help alot. Free exchanges, you just have to pay return shipping.

After decades of paying top shelf prices for ill fitting half ass gear, I finally got measured and chose the leather, color, design and full armor from a hometown manufacturer. All I can say is that I should of done it years ago, would of saved a lot of money! Not to mention comfort and fit are a revelation that only get better as it breaks in. A google search is worth the time. Even if you can’t get it locally, shops will assist you over the phone. Often the price is no higher than some of the off the rack Italian brands.

After decades of paying top shelf prices for ill fitting half ass gear, I finally got measured and chose the leather, color, design and full armor from a hometown manufacturer. All I can say is that I should of done it years ago, would of saved a lot of money! Not to mention comfort and fit are a revelation that only get better as it breaks in. A google search is worth the time. Even if you can’t get it locally, shops will assist you over the phone. Often the price is no higher than some of the off the rack Italian brands.

I'm definitely looking into this. I don't mind paying for quality.

I would love a wide glove. Having to go up in size sucks.

I pieced my gear together and decided to avoid gear with foamy type pads in my opinion only if your armor isnt strapped to you where eill be in a flying w or superman slide lol. Heres what i wear.

Icon motorsorts full face
Fox Titan Pro Pressure suit
Carbon knuckled gloves
Fox Titan Pro knee/shin vombo under thick carhartt style pants and milwaukee boots.

Attachments

• 20220813_073650.jpg
    20220813_073650.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20220716_230438.jpeg
    Resized_20220716_230438.jpeg
    679.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20220704_215749.jpeg
    Resized_20220704_215749.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20220704_215455.jpeg
    Resized_20220704_215455.jpeg