Attn Reloaders

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powder is hard to get here too.

I'm on several waiting lists but if you aren't right at the keyboard when a shipment comes in....you lose!

It's really pretty crazy, I'm sure Winchester, Alliant, IMR and the rest of them have stepped up production but they can't even come close to demand. Unless the Gummint is snapping it all up....nah, they bought all the bullets, they got no need for powder & primers! :biglaugh:

I'm on several waiting lists but if you aren't right at the keyboard when a shipment comes in....you lose!

It's really pretty crazy, I'm sure Winchester, Alliant, IMR and the rest of them have stepped up production but they can't even come close to demand. Unless the Gummint is snapping it all up....nah, they bought all the bullets, they got no need for powder & primers! :biglaugh:

You want to check on this to see if it is true... There is a super smart reloader here that knows burn rates in the top of his head and can tell you yes that powder will work for you or it won't. However he always checks the book to make sure. Now he tells me that since the shortage there has been many small ammunition manufacturers that have popped up. With that they have first dibbs on the powder.

G

My son picked up 8 pounds of Unique for 180 bucks and a pound of 4064 Rifle powder for 25 bucks. Local Dealer had too much on hand after his last order and just wanted to move it. I'm set on all primers but only had 3 pounds of Unique on hand.
Good Luck finding what you all need. It's there you just gotta hunt it down.

You want to check on this to see if it is true... There is a super smart reloader here that knows burn rates in the top of his head and can tell you yes that powder will work for you or it won't. However he always checks the book to make sure. Now he tells me that since the shortage there has been many small ammunition manufacturers that have popped up. With that they have first dibbs on the powder.

G

Not surprised by that, actually it's a good thing overall.

My son picked up 8 pounds of Unique for 180 bucks and a pound of 4064 Rifle powder for 25 bucks. Local Dealer had too much on hand after his last order and just wanted to move it. I'm set on all primers but only had 3 pounds of Unique on hand.
Good Luck finding what you all need. It's there you just gotta hunt it down.

Very true.....got bullets, primers & brass that way (altho I want to see the primers on my desk before making a 'final' call on that one) :biglaugh:

But, yeah, I'll hit it right sooner or later.....not destitute yet but running low.

If you reload you probably already know this. Just a heads up, careful with Bullseye. It's dense and powerful, an overload isn't easy to eyeball. Unless you're weighing each round. An overloaded Ultralight will fill the shell. I had a hot one once crack a Browning frame on me. Blew the left grip off. No hand damage.
Steve

HP-38 is the same powder as W231. It gives you one more option.

Things seem to be getting better, however it is still running hot and cold. Some weeks my local shop will have a pretty good selection, other times...no so much.

BTW: Which calibers are you loading for? From your powder selection I would guess 45 acp.

Things seem to be getting better, however it is still running hot and cold. Some weeks my local shop will have a pretty good selection, other times...no so much.

BTW: Which calibers are you loading for? From your powder selection I would guess 45 acp.

I haunt the local shops but no luck so far. Yeah .45 ACP, .45 LC & .38 +P

Thanks for the Hodgdon powder code, maybe I can find some of that.

You need to poke around the reloading sites some.
There are a boatload of powders that you can use for all of those calibers. They may not all be optimum, but there are many...many that will work just fine.

Since the great shortage started I keep a list of the powders I can use on my phone, so when I am out and about I can quick cross check between stock and usability.
Here is a link to get you started (http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-733043.html)

I tend to list the powders sorted by caliber and then sort the calibers based on how the powder can be loaded (i.e. in the 44 mag, H110 is only a top end magnum powder and can't be downloaded much, while W231 is the lower end of mid range loads, and Trail Boss is plinking loads only).

You need to poke around the reloading sites some.
There are a boatload of powders that you can use for all of those calibers. They may not all be optimum, but there are many...many that will work just fine.

Since the great shortage started I keep a list of the powders I can use on my phone, so when I am out and about I can quick cross check between stock and usability.
Here is a link to get you started (http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-733043.html)

I tend to list the powders sorted by caliber and then sort the calibers based on how the powder can be loaded (i.e. in the 44 mag, H110 is only a top end magnum powder and can't be downloaded much, while W231 is the lower end of mid range loads, and Trail Boss is plinking loads only).

That's a real handy link....thanks!

Latest posts

Back