Austin, TX. 11/1 to 11/5

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I'll be visiting Austin, TX. first week of November this year and would like to get an idea of what not to miss. Definitely want to hit some BBQ joints, and wouldn't mind hearing some music; blues to rock to alternative or anything recommended. I'll be in town for a trade meeting/ show so may only have one night or possibly 2 to enjoy the local scene. So let's hear the recommendations!
If only the date was closer to the F1 or a MotoGP event at COTA I would have liked to have attended either one and but will someday.

No luck on taking my bike since were flying in. I heard 6th was a good start, any place in particular, my coworker more than likely will be with me and she is worried about being in a bad part of town or something.

Downtown and east Austin is where most of the homeless live- not really a threat but lots of hands out. I think you will find the most friendliest and weirdest people there as their motto is "keep Austin weird".
I have an older brother that plays lead guitar in a German band near there- here is the site- My father is a US Federal Marshall there so if you get drunk and thrown in the cage have my brother call him-lol
http://www.walburgrestaurant.net/

He is the fat bastard on the end- you will be there during their oktoberfest and if you go make a reservation. Good food and good music too.
Sixth street gets crowded at night but you can easily walk from one bar to the next for miles to find your type of music.
As far as BBQ goes Stubbs (good music and great bbq-srv used to host there) The green mesquite, the salt lick and franklins (watch the line there and they close early because they always run out).
Lamar street, Guadalupe and Congress st are cool places to visit and Lake LBJ, Town Lake and Lake Travis are cool too-(hippy hollow at Lake Travis is a nude beach).
The Broken Spoke is legendary for good bands as is The Continental Club.
If you like Jazz try The Elephant Room just off sixth.
If it gets too crowded on sixth one of my favs was Pearls Oyster Bar off the strip.
Check out the State Capital too as it is bigger than the White House--Of course Everything is Bigger there.--I remember them flushing their swimming pools--:rofl_200: Enjoy

Thanks for the suggestions but it appears our free time will be limited! I would hang out on 6th st but will have to see what she feels ok with. Maybe we could hit Stubbs for dinner Sun night and then let her pick a lunch spot on Monday since those are the only two days that are really free to do what we want. I want to get some tex-mex fare too while I'm there.
We already have vendors hooking us up for M/Tu/W nights and the conference is setup for on site breakfast and lunch (all free). It should be fun as some of the vendors really throw a great party. One year in Vegas IBM rented a suite in the Bellagio fully catered and stocked with booze, it was quite the party!

Tex Mex Joes on N Lamar Blvd or Chuys on Barton Springs in South Austin--
If you like HOT try The Habanero Cafe.

We are staying near the Arboretum, about 10 or so miles to the downtown area. The co-worker found this restaurant called Koriente, which looks good and if it makes her happy that's good for me.
I'm going to try to get into Stubb's but will keep Stiles Switch as a backup plan and keep Tex-Mex Joes open for a evening taco run.

We had a great time getting wined and dined by the vendors. We didn't have much free time for our own but we did get to the County Line BBQ joint for a hospitality event complete with entertaining armadillos! Well, they didn't do to much but scurry around their enclosure but we got to hold them, saw a little bit of their acrobatics, surprising how high they can jump! Interesting creature to say the least! I wasn't very impressed with the brisket at the County Line, as I have tasted better elsewhere. We did get to taste some Amy's ice cream, some late night snacking at the nearby Cheescake Factory, family style Italian at Beppo di Beppo which was near our hotel and very delicious. The favorite meal was at Terry Black's BBQ restaurant which we happened upon on our drive down to visit the Texas Capitol on our last day there. Terry Blacks was what I was looking for in a brisket meal! You could cut-it-with-a-fork tender, delicious wood smoky aroma that melted in your mouth.
Here are a couple of pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2377.jpg
    IMG_2377.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 23
Great people there, im sure you enjoyed it- looks like it.
Is that star in the center of the floor at the state capitol still cracked from that guy falling there?
You know those armadillos love music-:clapping:

I didn't notice any cracks but there were a couple grade school tours going on so there was a lot of people milling about. I'll check my pictures to see if I by chance snapped a picture of it.
Must have fallen from the top level to crack that floor!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk w/ vboost![emoji469]

You sly devil, Brian.....insisting on a REDHEADED workmate to attend the conference with you! Nice call!

Attachments

• IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 24
I have been working with her for the last 15 years, she can be a bit of high maintenance at times but have a lot of fun too! She has been engaged for the last 10 years to a great guy and in fact he was the original owner of Redbone! How could he be a bad guy if he bought a Vmax and carefully preserving it for me to buy 10 years later!:punk:

Latest posts

Back