Australian bike compliance SUX ARSE!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
Just for shits and giggles, you guys can check out what took those retards at QLD Imports aka www.importaharley.com.au (AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE), Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, from April until about a week ago to complete:

- fitting a new speedo (in km/h only - the dual one ain't good enough..)

- sticking reflectors on top of existing reflectors :confused2::confused2:
- adding crap brackets to rear blinkers to shit them rearward :ummm:
- sticking on a gay pink import plate (orange and pink? :bang head:)

All that took, lemme see...

... SEVEN months!!! At least they were 'kind' enough to give me a $500 discount on their $2500 + parts compliance fee due to '"delays in obtaining used import plates"

Arseholes!!!

Attachments

• P1130543.jpg
    P1130543.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 64
  • P1130534.jpg
    P1130534.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 63
  • P1130536.jpg
    P1130536.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 63
  • P1130545.jpg
    P1130545.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 62
Did all the Gen 1's that were imported directly from Japan, to the Aussie dealerships, have to been altered in the same way? Or did Yamaha ship them with different reflectors and altered turn signal mounts?

Or is all this just another government money-grab thing?

AFAIK the vmax was not imported here all years - it's very hard to find out which.

This compliance crap is only for imported bikes newer than 01/89, and it seems to me they kinda make the rules up as they go along. I've seen plenty of Harleys and other customs here that would never go through all the crap mine had to, yet they're on the road and registered, so who knows..

Ya that is a load of shit! Questions: Why can't they leave the speedo in MPH? Why the cheesy stick on reflector over top of the factory one? Why the extensions on the rear turnsignals? What happens if you change the stuff back that they did? I can see the import plate, but the rest of it has me wondering why?

Just to cause a stink I would write your elected representatives. That is a gouge job of the highest order. Since nobody got raped/hurt (but your wallet) probably nothing will happen, but it's the satisfaction of having addressed it.

:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

:BoomSmilie_anim::th_biggun::flamethrower::gun shoot:

Congratulations G on the final chapter of the epic odyssey of your VMax . Sounds like the Harley Corp. has made a few contributions to the transportation dept. of your new adopted country. :bang head::bang head::bang head:

I would think any and all requirements for compliance would be spelled out in some governmental department handbook or the like. At least it should be online somewhere. I would also think they would or should tell what needs to be in compliance and you do the work and an inspector could pass it or fail it. Thank god there was no emission requirements. You would probably be screwed even worse. At that price it did not sound worth it G.
06maximus asked already I think but can you change it back to "Normal" now that it is licensed?
I don't imagine the local constablary giving a shit about that stuff. How would a guy ride a homebuilt custom then? Hope your arse goes back to its original size cause you got a big time screw job there! And to think I cry about the tax to license an out of state cycle here in Florida.

I bet the import company probably pays a lot of that exorbitant fee back to the government in some way. Sounds like a bureaucracy money grab if I ever heard one.

Yeah..i think the reflectors on reflectors is a bit much.

...now...place your order for mini turn signals and get her lookin proper. ;)

nice lookin bike though..i like the color.

t$

Customs was probably cruising it around the whole time! (just kidding, of course)

Last edited:
Te bike probably has to go to a bonded warehouse to have the work done by a business licensed to make the changeover, and then inspected by a functionary of the national government for vehicle code compliance. Forfeiture of the vehicle may happen if the vehicle is found not to be in compliance, or if the bike is found on the road w/o having gone thru the procedure.

Ya that is a load of shit! Questions: Why can't they leave the speedo in MPH? Why the cheesy stick on reflector over top of the factory one? Why the extensions on the rear turnsignals? What happens if you change the stuff back that they did? I can see the import plate, but the rest of it has me wondering why?

The speedo *must* be in km/h as a main scale. The reflectors and blinker brackets are just complete BS as far as I'm concerned.

I got it inspected / registered / plated today, so it's now road legal.

The blinkers are off it already. I have a nice set of LED ones going on instead.
I guess I'll have some fun pulling off the reflectors and cleaning the glue..

And, the HH pads (which they had to take off as they weren't "listed as standard parts" are going back in, as well as SS braided lines at the front.

The OEM mufflers (needed to pass the noise test; result 92dB @ 3,500rpm :) are also off as I'm going with my fave slip-ons, the Jardines. :clapping:

So after all the crap they changed to pass inspection , what happens if they pull you over and their changes aren't there ? Fines , wrist slap , impound ?

I think actually nothing - zilch - nada. The only reason they would pull you over is for bad driving or checking for alcohol. If they really wanted to be arseholes they might check your tires tread depth and how loud your exhaust is, but considering how many REALLY loud harleys I keep seeing I don't think they even bother. The cops wouldn't know any of the compliance rules anyway..

And, the HH pads (which they had to take off as they weren't "listed as standard parts" are going back in, as well as SS braided lines at the front.

They check the friggin brake pads too?
wow..thats thorough.

Apparently they have to:
- fit new tires
- fit new brakes (pads I guess)
- change brake fluid
- change headlamp to RH drive
- change speedo to km/h

I had new tires AND an invoice for them so got away with that. Also had brand new HH pads (and invoice) but they weren't ok as "not listed under OEM parts"...

Back