Auxiliary Fuel Tank for Travel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuup

Reaction score
Hello! I recently got me a gen 2, and I absolutely love it. I'm sure y'all are aware of the relatively small range it has though. It really doesn't bother me for out carving pavement, but it certainly would be nice to get another couple of miles out of it in some "touring" scenarios. I was thinking about adding one of those sissy bar auxiliary tanks for about an extra 2 gallons of fuel. Seems like a significantly more simple solution than basically disassembling the thing to add a new fuel tank lol.

Shitty idea? I don't know haha. I imagine it's probably not the safest thing in the world in the event of a tip-over, but it would really only be for highway miles to add another 2 or 3 gallons. Anyone ever give it a shot?

Something like in the picture here:
1601515267100.pngs-l1600.jpg

I was thinking that maybe I could run the gravity feed into the breather on the main tank and connect the breather on the aux tank to the original breather line. It would take a minute to add and remove but it wouldn't be harder than taking the seat off I think. I'm really talking out of my ass here, I'm not sure how functional that would be lol. It seems okay in my head...

Anyway, just some fun things to think about. Thanks.

The Exactrep appears to be very easy to install, and looks real good on the bike. The replacement under the seat tanks are clearly a full day or two project. I am going to have to do something to extend the range. I really enjoy getting away for some long weekends with the mighty MAX.

Ooooh boy, it certainly does look nice but that costs a pretty penny. I think at that point I'd just buy a 6 gallon internal and pay someone to put it in haha.

^^^^ That certainly looks to be well made; the internal one, by Fueltank is similar cost albeit appears to be made from ABS (plastic). To save money, I would just get a rucksack, line it with plastic bags and store the petrol (gas) there, what could possibly go wrong???!?!?

^^^^ That certainly looks to be well made; the internal one, by Fueltank is similar cost albeit appears to be made from ABS (plastic). To save money, I would just get a rucksack, line it with plastic bags and store the petrol (gas) there, what could possibly go wrong???!?!?
That is a safe and sound plan. Who is your life insurance broker? :D

maybe not as elegant a solution but something like this for £ 35:

You'd want to have breakable bolts so that in the case of a collision, it breaks away and goes bouncing down the road than split and spew its contents over you and the bike.

1601567538720.png available in black too: 1601567767425.png

For 175 dollars per year, I get full coverage insurance and road side assistance. I've never run my Vmax out of gas. If I ever do, I make a call and wait 20 or 30 minutes.

Whole lot cheaper than all the other nonsense.

maybe not as elegant a solution but something like this for £ 35:

You'd want to have breakable bolts so that in the case of a collision, it breaks away and goes bouncing down the road than split and spew its contents over you and the bike.

View attachment 73099 available in black too: View attachment 73100
I know some guys who are into Adventure Biking. They ship their motorcycles all over the world and head off into the craziest of places. One year they rode from Cape Town to Cairo. They have huge tanks and carry extra fuel like this. Plus tubes, banding wire and duct taoe. Obviously no VMAX would survive the road conditions that these are built for.

a 10L fuel cell like this; 8.5"(L)X8.25"(W)X10"(H) would sit quite happily on the back, cost about $ 65

1601623449453.png

I’ve nearly ran out of fuel at least twice, and now have a leather roll pouch on the front attached between the forks. Inside I store 1 litre in a camping container that is approved for carrying fuel. Gives me piece of mind. Sandwiches taste a bit strange though even although the container does not leak, you do eventually get used to it and I now prefer them like that.

ok, here is an idea that nobody else seems to have done.
how about mounting a water expansion tank behind the right hand scoop - my calculation is that the water will expand by about 70 cc (that is 1/5 the volume of a coca cola can) so it does not need a large tank.

Use the space where the coolant tank is for a second fuel tank which is 0.3 l so gives 2 miles .... hence why nobody has done it LOL (it may be possible to fit a slight larger one)

I was at Thunder in the Valley two years ago. Somebody had a trailer for their VMAX. I spoke to the guy but do not remember his name. As I recall he had a whiskey barrel on it that was converted to storage. It looked like he was hauling booze. That would easily convert to a 55 gallon drum. Now you could do a 1,000 miles with out refueling.

I suspect 0-60 would go down quite a bit.

I was at Thunder in the Valley two years ago. Somebody had a trailer for their VMAX. I spoke to the guy but do not remember his name. As I recall he had a whiskey barrel on it that was converted to storage. It looked like he was hauling booze. That would easily convert to a 55 gallon drum. Now you could do a 1,000 miles with out refueling.

I suspect 0-60 would go down quite a bit.
That would actually be hilarious.

A NOS tank would be cool converted to hold gas would be cool on the back. It would make people think.

Hello! I recently got me a gen 2, and I absolutely love it. I'm sure y'all are aware of the relatively small range it has though. It really doesn't bother me for out carving pavement, but it certainly would be nice to get another couple of miles out of it in some "touring" scenarios. I was thinking about adding one of those sissy bar auxiliary tanks for about an extra 2 gallons of fuel. Seems like a significantly more simple solution than basically disassembling the thing to add a new fuel tank lol.

Shitty idea? I don't know haha. I imagine it's probably not the safest thing in the world in the event of a tip-over, but it would really only be for highway miles to add another 2 or 3 gallons. Anyone ever give it a shot?

Something like in the picture here:
View attachment 73097View attachment 73098

I was thinking that maybe I could run the gravity feed into the breather on the main tank and connect the breather on the aux tank to the original breather line. It would take a minute to add and remove but it wouldn't be harder than taking the seat off I think. I'm really talking out of my ass here, I'm not sure how functional that would be lol. It seems okay in my head...

Anyway, just some fun things to think about. Thanks.
This is exactly what I've been considering but, in the videos I've seen everyone is connecting to the vent tube at the filler neck and that makes no sense to me. Unless I'm understanding it wrong, the vent/breather tube is to allow air into the tank to replace the fuel that is consumed and to allow for the release of gasses during heat expansion. If you use this tube as your filler there is nowhere for the air to go when you fill it up. Obviously, it appears to be working for people but, I'm not understanding why? Thoughts?

EEZHEL9.jpg

55kCPx4.jpg

Latest posts

Back