AVON CHROME 130/70/18 + 200/55/18 combo feedback

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanos

Reaction score
Anyone fitted this combo?(stock rims) Impressions? Thanks

Done similar on a gen 1. Does ok. The 55 is a lot taller though.

Thanks for replying, I would like to hear someone with Gen 2 also.

I have run Cobra Chromes on my Raider for 25k miles and loved them. So when I got my first 2016 with 5k miles I immediately put a 200-55/18 ACC on the rear and Avon didn't make a Chrome for the front so I got an Avon Spirit ST on the front. They held up well and handled great in turns. As Sean said the 55 is a bit taller and was a stretch for me at 5'7". But it gave me more ground clearance. They are not cheap but worth it to me.

I have run Cobra Chromes on my Raider for 25k miles and loved them. So when I got my first 2016 with 5k miles I immediately put a 200-55/18 ACC on the rear and Avon didn't make a Chrome for the front so I got an Avon Spirit ST on the front. They held up well and handled great in turns. As Sean said the 55 is a bit taller and was a stretch for me at 5'7". But it gave me more ground clearance. They are not cheap but worth it to me.
Thanks for your kind info. Do you know if the 130/70/18 Avon Chrome will fit ? Have you heard anything about it's performance?

Sorry but I have no idea. The 130 should be a bit wider but actually a shorter tire also being a 70. That is why I ended up going with the Spirit line. Of course some guys are running 17" wheels front and back, not sure what size tire? Sean Morley maybe able to answer the front tire question with more clarity. Myself, I do not want a shorter tire on the front at certain speeds and quickness of the Vmax.

Sorry but I have no idea. The 130 should be a bit wider but actually a shorter tire also being a 70. That is why I ended up going with the Spirit line. Of course some guys are running 17" wheels front and back, not sure what size tire? Sean Morley maybe able to answer the front tire question with more clarity. Myself, I do not want a shorter tire on the front at certain speeds and quickness of the Vmax.
I think that you are wrong here the 130/70/18 is taller and not shorter.The height from 200/55/18 will match the difference in order the bike to
be like OEM comparing the height within front as also back. From back
you gaining 20mm height and with 130 front you gaining ALSO 15mm. The
difference in total comparison to OEM will be 5mm taller in the rear
Minor difference but not shorter in any case..
size.jpgsize2.jpg

Last edited:
You are correct, not sure why but I was thinking you were going to a 130/60-18. If you have the height you will definitely have more ground clearance. The 130 should fit in the fender with no problem. Onetime when getting tires put on at the shop I realized that they had put a 130 on my Raider which took 120/70-21. It actually had the wrong sticker size from Avon. I asked them if it was ok to just run the 130 but they asked me to come back to put the correct size on because it could cause wobble at higher speeds. I don't know how true that was or if they just wanted to put the correct size on for liability reasons since I knew it was wrong.

Yes the ground clearance will help a lot within many ways. The fact that the front would be 5mm shorter than the back will change slightly the geometry of oem total balance. The weight will end up more to front but I do not know how much will really effect the overall performance, that's why I opened this thread.

We sport tour with ours and i run the 200/55 18 out back and may try the 130/70 18 on the front but i run the avon 3dxm in the front and figure id go to the spirit next because this combo handles corners well. Handled the rain well too. I have both front and rear cobra chromes on my guzzi california 1400 and it handles like a dream.

I have not yet tried the combo and searching around forums, facebook e,t,c none has tried this specific combo which according to numbers is super match for the bike. However I found multiple users who have fit them separately. The feedback's were good for both tires. As soon as you tired them please do NOT forget to inform me. Now I am running the BT028 set. Thank you.

Not sure if you have ordered your Avon's yet but I had ordered a set for another bike of mine. A couple of months ago they told me they had the Avon Cobra Chrome for the front but the 240/40-18 rear was backordered until May, then June and now July. I checked all the online bike websites and everyone had posted "Out of Stock" for the 240. I posted on another forum I am on and asked if anyone had ordered an ACC 240/40R18 lately. One of the guys said they were closing the plant in the UK that produces Avon's and gave me the link. The two tires you are speaking look to be in stock most places but just thought I would give you a heads up since it sounds like you like running Avon's like I do.

Last edited:
Not sure if have ordered your Avon's yet but I had ordered a set for another bike of mine. A couple of months ago they told me they had the Avon Cobra Chrome for the front but the 240/40-18 rear was backordered until May, then June and now July. I checked all the online bike websites and everyone had posted "Out of Stock" for the 240. I posted on another forum I am on and asked if anyone had ordered an ACC 240/40R18 lately. One of the guys said they were closing the plant in the UK that produces Avon's and gave me the link. The two tires you are speaking look to be in stock most places but just thought I would give you a heads up since it sounds like you like running Avon's like I do.
Ouch! just read your post, 1Badmax. I run a 300 Python. Guess I better start a search.
I have never had to lookup any other brand, never thought I'd have to.
Thanks for the heads up!

Gent

Not sure if you have ordered your Avon's yet but I had ordered a set for another bike of mine. A couple of months ago they told me they had the Avon Cobra Chrome for the front but the 240/40-18 rear was backordered until May, then June and now July. I checked all the online bike websites and everyone had posted "Out of Stock" for the 240. I posted on another forum I am on and asked if anyone had ordered an ACC 240/40R18 lately. One of the guys said they were closing the plant in the UK that produces Avon's and gave me the link. The two tires you are speaking look to be in stock most places but just thought I would give you a heads up since it sounds like you like running Avon's like I do.
Thanks for the info. So none has managed to try the combo yet.

Finally I have ordered this pair for my bike after talking to a vmax owner who managed to make some miles with them. He is fully happy with the tires. He clearly said that they are much better than OEM and the driving is more fun due to more angle. Furthermore from also another Vmax owner I got the feeling that after 8000 miles the front one was in great condition comparing to the OEM generally he categorized them as ultra sticky. I will also reply with my review very soon as also with own photos (those are from other owner). Speed-Load rating is 63V for the front and 79V for rear (Ultra close to OEM).

Attachments

• ben3.jpg
    ben3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • ben4.jpg
    ben4.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am amazed about the handling, as also the front feeling specially on cornering. The bike brakes with more confident. The tires fit like glove. No mods no cuts or anything. Directly bolt on. Great feeling also on bumps, more comfortable, running 36/42psi.
All the comparison is only with Battlax BT-028.

Attachments

• IMG20230609160837.jpg
    IMG20230609160837.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230609160832.jpg
    IMG20230609160832.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 1
Excellent! Thanks for the follow up, I’ll probably go this route when I need to change my tires. I can always use more lean angle!

I am amazed about the handling, as also the front feeling specially on cornering. The bike brakes with more confident. The tires fit like glove. No mods no cuts or anything. Directly bolt on. Great feeling also on bumps, more comfortable, running 36/42psi.
All the comparison is only with Battlax BT-028.
Is the gap between the front tire and the fender still decent with the Avon? Some of the guys that had the rs warrior swapped to a taller tire and had the issue of rocks getting jammed in between the tire and fender. I even remember one that blew the tire. Does it look like that could be an issue?

Latest posts

Back