Avon or Shinko?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't decided which way I'm going but I'll need new tires soon. For those that went with the Avon Cobra Chrome 200/55, what front did you get? They don't make the cobra chrome in the stock size. If you run a shinko out back, did you get a shinko up front or another brand?

I think it's a good idea to run the same type of Tire front and rear. You want the level of adhesion to be the same. You don't want the front losing grip before the rear or vice versa. I know many people who choose to mix-and-match but I have found that tires are much more predictable when you are running the same type of compound for both.

I think it's a good idea to run the same type of Tire front and rear. You want the level of adhesion to be the same. You don't want the front losing grip before the rear or vice versa. I know many people who choose to mix-and-match but I have found that tires are much more predictable when you are running the same type of compound for both.

I assume by type, you mean brand...but even within the same brand you get different types, touring, sport/touring, sport, etc. I've ridden many bikes with mismatched tires without issue & I've done other things some of you would probably want to slap me for :D I just don't ride that hard & I don't think it would be as much of an issue compared to some of you. Avon makes 2 tires in stock front sizes, the storm & the spirit. I'm wondering which one people are using if cobra chrome Avon on the rear.

I'm curious...Do you replace the front tire whenever you replace the rear, considering the rubber hardens over time?

I'm curious...Do you replace the front tire whenever you replace the rear, considering the rubber hardens over time?

I've been riding for 35 years or more & if memory serves, this will be the first time both tires are worn to the indicators at the same time. That's the only reason I'm replacing both. I don't replace a tire over age if it's within 4 years of manufacturing date.

What about
Avon Cobra Chrome 150/90 V B15 TL (74V)
Avon Roadrider MK II 110/90 V 18 (61V)
?

What about
Avon Cobra Chrome 150/90 V B15 TL (74V)
Avon Roadrider MK II 110/90 V 18 (61V)
?
I looked at Avon's sheet for both, and their indistinct bar graphs don't really deliver qualitative data sufficient for me to say yes or no. Going strictly by the bar graphs, the rear will have more grip than the front.

From the link below:
Note that modern tires are rated with a speed rating and load index. From Michelin: “This code, when present, appears after the size marking. The code comprises three characters: two numbers and a letter, for example, 67H. The two-digit number is a code for the maximum load carrying capacity of the tire. The letter is a maximum speed rating indicating the maximum speed at which the tire may be used with maximum load when the maximum listed inflation pressure is used.”

Motorcycle Tire Speed Ratings, Load Ratings & Tire Size Designations (webbikeworld.com)

I suppose that if you are a careful rider, and you aren't someone who burns-up the road, you can go with this combo. It appears the rear may be more sticky than the front. That to me means that your front grip will lessen before the rear will. As long as you pay attention to the tires' messages then you could have confidence in their working together. If you are that 'road-burner,' who does drag-racing burnouts and who generally abuses your bike, then I'd be more-inclined to buy the stickiest tires you can fit, and just replace them as they wear. Mileage will be less on these, but your safety factor should be your guardian angel.

I have a friend that has run older / mismatched tires on his Max. I have chased him on my Max and also on my Z900RS and always been amazed how that sucker sticks to the road in the twisties. And we all know that rears on the Max are changed out way more often than the front, and matched tires can be hard to come by sometimes. If you like to go out and scrape your footpegs, the added safety of new/matched tires is hard to argue with, but for a straight rip thru the gears and cruisin‘ maybe not so much. Get tires you feel comfortable with and fit your budget then ride accordingly.

I was hoping for someone with the cobra chrome rear to chime in but it won't be necessary now...found articles stating the Spirit replaced the Storm so I'll be picking up the chrome rear & spirit front when current tires are done. I considered the shinko's but there are too many comments about out of round issues. Sticky tires are nice but I don't ride hard enough to make that the priority & I'd rather have longevity.

I just had Shinko 230 Tours put on about 500 miles ago. Yep they are cheap bout $77 front and $118 for rear. I had the original Bridgetone on a 16yr old bike. The rounder profile of the Shinko is much better as far as corners and these tires are sticky! No complaints thus far. I don't ride like an idiot....I should be able to get at least 8K miles out of these tires.

When I bought my 16 with 5500 miles the battleaxes had plenty of tread but they were as hard as nails and I did a lot of sliding, front and rear. I am kinda a preferred Avon guy since I run them on my 740 lb. Raider and they stick really well for a big heavy bike that I throw into turns with little mercy. Therefore instead of going with the preferred Shinko Verge 011 I put an Avon Cobra Chrome on the rear and had to go with an Avon Spirit on the front since Avon's don't make the Cobra for the front. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they handle on the Max in cornering there were only a few times when coming off a turn and was too hard on the throttle and the rear would start breaking loose. But this was pushing it and not leisurely riding. In a straight line forget it the Avon would lite up 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear no matter what type of pavement. I will say I had it on the strip several times and after dropping PSI to 20 and heating the tire it would hook EVERY time leaving at 4k to 5k rpms. I did buy a Shinko that is sitting the garage now waiting for my next Gen 2 Max since my 16 was totaled back in December. I one thing on buying a Avon Cobra Chrome for the rear is they only come in 200/55VR18 and not a 50 sidewall which is the stock size. Therefore your tire will be a bit taller but didn't bother me since I had a little more ground clearance. Avon's are pricey though so Shinko are probably best for the money. I got about 4500 miles out of the Avon's but I ride pretty aggressive, probably 8K-12k normal riding but not many do that on a Max.

When I bought my 16 with 5500 miles the battleaxes had plenty of tread but they were as hard as nails and I did a lot of sliding, front and rear. I am kinda a preferred Avon guy since I run them on my 740 lb. Raider and they stick really well for a big heavy bike that I throw into turns with little mercy. Therefore instead of going with the preferred Shinko Verge 011 I put an Avon Cobra Chrome on the rear and had to go with an Avon Spirit on the front since Avon's don't make the Cobra for the front. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they handle on the Max in cornering there were only a few times when coming off a turn and was too hard on the throttle and the rear would start breaking loose. But this was pushing it and not leisurely riding. In a straight line forget it the Avon would lite up 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear no matter what type of pavement. I will say I had it on the strip several times and after dropping PSI to 20 and heating the tire it would hook EVERY time leaving at 4k to 5k rpms. I did buy a Shinko that is sitting the garage now waiting for my next Gen 2 Max since my 16 was totaled back in December. I one thing on buying a Avon Cobra Chrome for the rear is they only come in 200/55VR18 and not a 50 sidewall which is the stock size. Therefore your tire will be a bit taller but didn't bother me since I had a little more ground clearance. Avon's are pricey though so Shinko are probably best for the money. I got about 4500 miles out of the Avon's but I ride pretty aggressive, probably 8K-12k normal riding but not many do that on a Max.
I like the idea of the taller tire...helps with correcting the speedo a bit. I've got just about 5500 miles on the stock bridgestones. I was running lower pressure for a while on the rear due to some of the suggestions here. I changed it once I started seeing the wear. I go with 40F/42R now.

Only good experiences with Shinkos. They are sticky and designed by Yokohama. I replace one tire at a time when they are done. Vmax is not a road racing bike so I like the Shinkos. They work very well for me.

I have a shinko 009 on the rear right now and it's been a good tire, very sticky even though it's almost bald with about 7400 miles on it. It's been great at 120mph + for distances and carving mountain twisties.

Late, but I'll chime in. I ran the Avon Cobra on the rear and liked it a lot. I just wore it out. It's a 3% increase in circumference vs stock, and that brought the speedometer up from stupidly inaccurate to just sadly wrong. It also gave me a bit taller gearing. Not much, and I could feel it on launch, but anything helps on the interstate. I suppose I got something like 5,000 miles out of it, and it didn't misbehave in any way undeserved. It does not have a lot of side grip under power, and it will most certainly walk the back out aka powerslide if one is not judicious w/the throttle on slower curves.

FWIW I'm using the Shinko on the front and have since I mounted the rear tire. I've no issues or concerns with mismatched tires.

To replace that tire is obscene from any dealer. Think $350-400 for the tire, generally around $100 to $150 to install and etc.

I've been happy with the front Shinko and can get the tire quickly and for $150 less, so that's that. Guess we'll see how I feel the new one sticks.

Latest posts

Back