Axle modification question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing okay.

Here's my question: Do any of you know a person or company that can grind an axle's diameter down to a smaller diameter in a safe and precise way?

I ask because I'm attempting to mount a 1994 Honda CB1000 front wheel on a pair of USD CBR954 forks. The width of the wheel is perfect, but since the CB1000's axle really can't be modded appropriately, I'm hoping to find someone who can grind down the diameter of a CB954's axle so it can fit in the CB1000 wheel.

Is that something that can/should be done, and if so, do any of you know someone I could hire to do it?

Thanks a million, and have a great weekend!

Elimax

if you want to send it out i can say harrys machine shop in northboro MA is great. Sean probably has some names too.

Yep, we can either get it ground or have a custom axle made. Depends on how hard the metal is and how much material you'd leave. That will be up to you to determine if it's enough to do what you want.

+1, any shop with a lathe could help.

Guessing this axle has a large shoulder on one side that can stay but on the other end the OD of the axle will be too small for the fork leg. How do you plan to take care of that? I guess a bushing could be made with a flange on one end to make up the difference. Once the bolt is installed, that would keep the bushing in place.

How much does it need turned down? I believe those axles are hollow with a bolt that screws into the ID of the axle. Need to make sure there is enough material left behind to keep the part strong.

Any chance you could find wheel bearings that will fit in the 1000 wheel but have an ID that will work with the new axle?

Back