Axle removal with shorter shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
Brothers and sisters-
Although still long enough to reach the ground when walking, my legs are relatively short (I have a 30" inseam). On my bike - with stock suspension all around - I could flat-foot at stops, providing I had my riding boots on. Still, I always felt a tad uncomfortable, particularly when the bike was loaded down.
Therefore, one of my winter mods involved lowering the bike. I dropped the front shocks 1 1/2" internally, and dished out the seat by removing some foam.
Feels much better now, I can almost flat foot with runners on, but I'd like to complete the package, by lowering the rear end as well, with 11 1/2" or 12" shocks.
My question - when removing the rear wheel axle, with the 13" OEM shocks and stock exhaust cans - the axle just barely clears the bottom side of the r.h. can. With shorter shocks installed, won't removal of the rear wheel also involve removal of the rear shocks, to obtain enough clearance to pull the axle?:ummm:
Seems to me that this would be a major pain, especially if dealing with a flat tire while on the road.
One solution would be to "massage" a groove in the underside of the can - similar to the groove for the centrestand foot lever. Has anyone done this?
Thanks in advance for replies
Cheers!

Yes, you either need an aftermarket exhaust with smaller cans, an extended swingarm, or just lossen the shocks on the top and let the assembly hang down long enough to get the axle out.

Latest posts

Back