Back again

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavgrab302

Reaction score
Well after selling my 01 vmax back in 2015 I took a long break from being on here. Going tomorrow to pick up a 2012 vmax with 1200 miles on it totally stock and looks show room...I don't like stock so I'll be picking brains once again..any suggestions on what to hit first. I assume the ref lash by Nash is what I hear?

Well after selling my 01 vmax back in 2015 I took a long break from being on here. Going tomorrow to pick up a 2012 vmax with 1200 miles on it totally stock and looks show room...I don't like stock so I'll be picking brains once again..any suggestions on what to hit first. I assume the ref lash by Nash is what I hear?

With a double clutch spring, and retainer also sold through gurued gear. It'll help the clutch, I've got 4,800 miles on my 18, maybe 500 on the reflash and the clutch was slipping. I installed the extra spring and retainer but I think a little late, I'm going to get new clutch discs and friction discs because I know they been hot. You might want to decide if you want a de-cat with slip ons or a full exhaust before you send out your ECU. Just so you don't have to send it out twice, it's only $45 for a flash after the initial flash, but you'll be without it until you get it back. While the ECU is out you can install your exhaust if you have the room. And install any other mods. Congrats on the Gen 2, post lots of pics!!! Check out the user mods section in the gen 2 for ideas. I got a couple threads of my own in there. And in the frequently asked questions in the gen 2 section also.

For sure the exhaust then reflash. Not too much gen2 tips on here what's with that? I assume the dd clutch mod is the same as it was for gen1? After hearing several on YT a gutted cat is probably what I'll start with, YT is much different that actually hearing..I had bought marks 14" for my last 01 and covered half the baffle and cut to 7" and always loved that blown v8 sound, gong to shoot for that again eventually.. I've looked but doesn't seem Marks exhaust is a no go for the gen2? I'll figure out the dd mod for the gen two just haven't seen a pic by pic install..appreciate the shout out..

I noticed my 18 had a bit of a lope to it after the reflash and the ECU goes into closed loop.I have the voodoo slip ons with de-cat. I repacked the baffles with fiberglass and got rid of the wire mesh. Gave them a deeper tone, and less crackle. Still loud even with ear plugs in and a full face. I can hear it over my Bluetooth Sena with the volume all the way up. Dropped in a K&N with the baffle removed from the air box. I'll be needing a set of tires next season if not before...... Lol. I like the Twisties. You can buy a de-cat pipe and keep the stock mufflers. But the gen 2s don't sound like the gen 1.

This is what I did to my Gen 2. Its a 2011, that I bought used, and it was completely stock. Nash Flash, Triple threat air box mod, DD clutch and retainer, Power commander 5 (to make the Nash Flash perfect.....you need to PCV to fine tune it), and autotune, and POD300, Hindle 4-1, as well as Sato frame sliders and the like.

You can hear the idle change about 30 seconds into the video. At a stop light, after riding, the A/F is 12.1 to 11.9 and it really lopes then.

This is what I did to my Gen 2. Its a 2011, that I bought used, and it was completely stock. Nash Flash, Triple threat air box mod, DD clutch and retainer, Power commander 5 (to make the Nash Flash perfect.....you need to PCV to fine tune it), and autotune, and POD300, Hindle 4-1, as well as Sato frame sliders and the like.

You can hear the idle change about 30 seconds into the video. At a stop light, after riding, the A/F is 12.1 to 11.9 and it really lopes then.

PCV with the Autotune?

Power Commander V, I've heard differing thoughts on the auto tune. Personal preference I guess.

So you have to buy pvc AND reflash. The reflash I found was on Guru for like $550 is that correct..? Sure seems steep for a tune, he'll my 2011 Roush was $75 bucks for lifetime tunes from BAMA performance..lol

Yes it is steep, I juggled with it for a while before deciding to send it off. Nobody else can do what Tim has/can. He's done hundreds of Dyno runs with different intake, and exhaust set ups. I had a guy local that could do it for $300. But after researching what software he uses, and what it changes. Tim's flash was the obvious choice. I had it back in 6 days. I've got a whole thread about the Nash flash in 2nd gen section also lol. The PCv isn't necessary, I'm running it without it, but if you want optimum performance is recommended. If your going to the track and want the fastest time then I would suggest it, but for everyday street use you don't need it. Tim's flash does everything that other guys can do plus a whole lot more that they can't do. It's steep but it's by far the best bang for the buck. Any flash you do later on for exhaust change, air box mods Tim has it. Any combination you come up with he has it, and it's $45. As many times as you want, it's $45.

I can peg the Rev limiter in 2nd gear doing a rolling burnout without doing anything with the clutch, lol. Just twist it wide open, instant burnout. It's absolutely insane, the difference from stock to Tim's flash. You won't be disappointed, until tire change lol.

After riding a hundred miles yesterday for the first time on sec gen does it really need more power..lol. Beats my neighbors busa at a roll now, and spinning till 3rd..bike is nuts..lol but yeah I'll have think on it, after buying into tune programs since early 2000's this one tune will cost what all others have combined (just tunes) but I guess it's the cost of admission with owning something a bit more rare than srt8s, cruiser HOs, roush's etc..

I'm guessing this also fixes what I presume is a known issue...Which I finally figured out. It was hard to start, at the first sound of ignition I was letting the button go and it would die over and over usually took five times to stay running. Or do you have to just stay on the start button till it is idling?

They do take a bit to start, just hold the button until it's running. You sure it's not flashed all ready?? Mine would not spin in 2nd gear let alone 3rd in stock form. The factory power limiter would prevent it. Does it have a lag/bog in first gear when you wot? Tim's flash also gets rid of that pesky lean surge when cruising through town, decreases the engine brake so it doesn't make you brace when you let off the throttle. Removes the speed limiter, increases the Rev limiter, eliminates the bog in first gear, eliminates the ais. Disables the exup servo if you go with a de-cat you can remove the cables. There's other stuff his flash does. More power yeah I'm done in that department, I was contemplating a supercharger but after putting some miles on with the Nash flash alone, that's a big no go, I will die. I'll be lucky to survive the Nash flash lol. But it's fun, and I respect it.
Wouldn't hurt to check the TB sync. Easier than the first gen.

Well when only one person in the country, not sure about the world specifically specializes in the 2nd gen Vmax, and has thousands of miles on the Dyno tuning for virtually every exhaust and intake set up countless hours doing R&D....... Putting myself in his shoes, I would want to get compensated for my time. It's a very rare muscle bike. Not like today's muscle cars where you see 5 of the same car in a mile stretch. Besides mine and dealer showroom, since 2009 I've seen 1 gen 2 in the wild..........1 since 2009!!! 11 years of sales and I've seen 1 lol.

So you have to buy pvc AND reflash. The reflash I found was on Guru for like $550 is that correct..? Sure seems steep for a tune, he'll my 2011 Roush was $75 bucks for lifetime tunes from BAMA performance..lol
This isn't just a basic mustang Bama tuneon a mustang. I too have one of those done.

I also had hard time swallowing the price, but I have gotten it back and it's a whole new beast. I rode 20k miles with out it, and now with it, it's like riding it for the first time again with the new decatted exhaust and air box mod too. Got the dd spring to go on when I do my oil change soon.

They do take a bit to start, just hold the button until it's running. You sure it's not flashed all ready?? Mine would not spin in 2nd gear let alone 3rd in stock form. The factory power limiter would prevent it. Does it have a lag/bog in first gear when you wot? Tim's flash also gets rid of that pesky lean surge when cruising through town, decreases the engine brake so it doesn't make you brace when you let off the throttle. Removes the speed limiter, increases the Rev limiter, eliminates the bog in first gear, eliminates the ais. Disables the exup servo if you go with a de-cat you can remove the cables. There's other stuff his flash does. More power yeah I'm done in that department, I was contemplating a supercharger but after putting some miles on with the Nash flash alone, that's a big no go, I will die. I'll be lucky to survive the Nash flash lol. But it's fun, and I respect it.
Wouldn't hurt to check the TB sync. Easier than the first gen.
I bought it with 1200miles, after this weekend 1430 miles now, the battleax tire in the rear is basically new. Maybe it doesnt grip, i dont know. But playing around a few times with neighbor and his busa it definitely spins even at 50 mph roll on concrete and he has to play catchup. Thats why i asked who needs more power out of this thing. Lol i have not lifted faux tank to see if ecu has any stickers from a reflash, i just assumed it stock being exterior is.

This isn't just a basic mustang Bama tuneon a mustang. I too have one of those done.

I also had hard time swallowing the price, but I have gotten it back and it's a whole new beast. I rode 20k miles with out it, and now with it, it's like riding it for the first time again with the new decatted exhaust and air box mod too. Got the dd spring to go on when I do my oil change soon.
Oh i know I really wasnt bashing Nash reflash price and totally get the more rare aspect so harder to recoup. Just saying it is higher by a lot, hell even my yamaha fx cruiser HO jetski was only 100 and you get multiple growth reflashes with that one life time membership. With my 2011 roush i know i reflashed at least 10 times when i added changed anything but realize they are a larger conp with many many more chances of profit. Hell theres a mustang on every corner. Lol i am going to go the Nash route know doubt.

Back