back fire in air box

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Carlyle

Reaction score
I left a message about back fire in air bock had a few hinits to the fix but still back firing feel like telling dealer no good till it goes away. Pissesd me off new bick & back firing in air box

REGARDS TOM C

P.S any advice would be good

Tom Carlyle said:
I left a message about back fire in air bock had a few hinits to the fix but still back firing feel like telling dealer no good till it goes away. Pissesd me off new bick & back firing in air box

REGARDS TOM C

Hi Tom,

Can you furnish more information on the bike? What year is it and did you buy it from a dealer or has he serviced it? When does it backfire, at idle, when letting off of the throttle or? Are you sure it's a backfire in the air box and not an exhaust leak possibly? I'll try to help as best I can.

Mike

Tom Carlyle said:

REGARDS TOM C

I am assuming you are talking about a NEW 06 bike.
Farting through the carbs/airbox while bike is COLD and giving it a little throttle is normal until the bikes warms up to operating temperature.
My bike did that when new in 2003 and still does that when cold but is very crisp and responsive when warm with no carb farts at all.
Carburetor equipped bikes do that, now the fuel injection bikes have an automatic enricher which make the engine run smooth from complete cold
to cut down on idle pollution and improve cold drivability.

Note: my bike was just adjusted using a sniffer and synchronized at the dealer so I know it is close to perfect as it will get.

If you insist on not having it fart/backfire in the airbox you can adjust the A/F mixture screws of each carb 1/4 of a turn counter clock wise to make it richer. But the bike will not be as crisp.

However if the backfiring in the airbox happens when the bike is fully warmed up then you have a problem that might be clogged idle circuit passages and the dealer should fix it under warranty.
This is my :twocents: experience with my bike since I bought it new.
I hope that helps.
________
C216

Last edited:
Mine does this when cold and I just barely hit the throttle or try to take of nice and easy. But only when the bike is cold/first fired up. Once the bike is warmed up, it doesn't happen anymore.

However, I know my carbs are a bit out of sync so I figure that will resolve itself with a tune-up.

Back