Back patch Idea

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax Marine

Reaction score
I got this from a friend on facebook and I thought that it would make a great back patch to a vest. But I need to track down who made this or who sells this because to make it from a .bmp file to a patch is a bit pricey.
what do you all think

Attachments

• rsz_1photo.jpg
    rsz_1photo.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 81
Having a long MC Club background, that's a 3 piece patch set which is a problem even with what it says. I have absolutely no problem with it but I'm sure some clubbers will, just because it's layed out the way it is. Much better to be made a one piece patch... Just friendly advise from someone who cares about you....

Having a long MC Club background, that's a 3 piece patch set which is a problem even with what it says. I have absolutely no problem with it but I'm sure some clubbers will, just because it's layed out the way it is. Much better to be made a one piece patch... Just friendly advise from someone who cares about you....

Just an innocent question b/c all I know about MC clubs is what I know from watching The Devil's Ride TV show. What is up with three pieces and why would one piece be acceptable?

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Thank you for your concern, I have some experience with being in a three patch club and with this I was thinking that I would also put the 1st Marines patch on the jacket which looks like a 1%er patch. you may think that I am asking for trouble but where do you think that they got the idea of a 1 in a diamond shape patch? and that was the division I was in when I went to the sand box.

I usually get along with people of that type well and hell if not I all ways have my 13, 230 grain, .45, Hydra-Shok friends I keep on me at all times.

all in all I don't see why anyone would take offense and I would not do the one patch thing, also most of the older guys in the clubs are Vietnam vets and the younger ones are Iraq/Afgan vets.
for those who dont know it was Veterans from WWI and WWII who started motorcycle clubs in case anyone did not already know just a little info.

Spec Ops is the man!:punk:

This is for those that do not know the History of the 3 piece patch and 1%ers came from:

The American Motorcycle Association (AMA) was founded in 1924 as an organizing arm to promote motorcycling riding in America. They sanctioned groups of riders from the same area that rode together as clubs. Some wore complete matching outfits with the name of their club stitched on the back of their shirts and/or jackets. At events the AMA would give out awards for the best dressed clubs. This was the start of the motorcycle clubs patches.

During an event in Hollister, California in 1947, an exaggerated news story that was later made into a movie called "The Wild One" starring Marlon Brando. The AMA wrote an article in their magazines stating that 99% of their members were law-abiding citizens and only "1%" are outlaws. This then began what today is known as 1%'ers. These clubs were then banned from all AMA events and functions.

In order to designate themselves as outside the rules of the AMA to all other clubs, the 1%'ers cut their club patches into 3 separate pieces. The top rocker identified the club name, the center identified the emblem or crest of the club, and the bottom rocker identified the city, town, or geographical location from which the club was located.

The term “colors” is used in referring to a motorcycle club's patch setup. Rockers on top and bottom, patch in the center. Because all three parts are separate, the term three-piece-patch is used.

Motorcycle clubs differ from motorcycling organizations in that they have a probationary "Prospecting" time required before the club members decide whether the individual (Prospect) will be accepted into the group and allowed to wear, or to "Fly" the colors of the club. A separate "cube" with the letters "MC" on it is designed to clarify and distinguish them as a club and not an organization.

RECOGNIZING CLUB PATCHES

1. A one-piece patch typically signifies a family club, riding club, AMA- sanctioned motorcycle club or political action/biker rights organization. Some require little more than filling out an application (which is actually a release of liability) and mailing a check.

2. A 2-Piece patch has many different meanings and variations as long as it's done with "respect" to other clubs. A two-piece patch may signify a motorcycle club in transition, awaiting approval from the dominant club(s) to become a three-piece patch. These clubs are sometimes, but not always, in the process of becoming an associate or support club. The hierarchy and traditions in the MC community are complex but not without purpose. They are valuable for maintaining order and avoiding trouble.

3. The 3-Piece patch normally identifies the club as a traditional motorcycle club(MC). A three-piece patch signifies that the club is not sanctioned by the AMA, but not necessarily a 1% club. With very few exceptions, the club has been approved by the dominant club in the state or area.

The three- piece patch is awarded in three parts as a prospective member earns the privilege to wear the full patch. A "hangaround" is someone who is eligible for membership and has been invited to attend club events and runs, but wears no part of the patch. If he is sponsored by a full member and approved by the club members he may wear the bottom rocker and is considered a "prospect". If he successfully completes the training period and is approved by 100% of the members, he is allowed to have the top rocker and the "center patch" or club insignia. His colors are then complete and he is considered to be a full member or "patch holder."

The traditional, or "old school," three-piece patch MC is one that adheres to established protocols, traditions and a code of conduct. Motorcycle clubs differ from riding clubs or other types of motorcycle organizations as they traditionally have "prospecting" time required before an individual is allowed to wear or "fly" the colors of the group. Most club colors will also have MC printed on the rocker or as an additional small, rectangular patch

4. The diamond patch with the 1% or 13 worn with the 3-Piece Patch is a 1% or support club.

5. A “nomad” rocker is worn only when a member continues to live a lifestyle within the definition of the word "Nomad"... A person with no fixed address.

6. Many national organizations in the 1980's joined their rockers in with their patch to avoid any designation or confusion within the biking community. An example of this would be the "Harley Owners Group" (HOG) or the Blue Knights.

A Few Points to Remember!

Never, under any circumstances, ever touch a member’s colors. Members take extreme pride in their colors and rightly so. They have gone through a rigorous and time honored tradition to "earn" their colors and therefore they treat their colors with the utmost respect and will protect and defend their colors at any and all costs.

Never ask a member to borrow or wear his jacket with their colors on it as you'll likely get a swat up the side of your head. The only time a non-member is permitted to wear the club's colors (and this varies from club to club) is ONLY when worn by a FEMALE passenger riding with the club member.

Always ask to take a photograph of a club member and/or of their bikes. If granted permission (and you usually will, providing you asked first) NEVER take a picture of the license plate area.

In the event you do start taking pictures of a "biker" on the road, do not be offended if he "flips you the bird" or gives you the "solo finger salute" as this is actually a common friendly gesture in the biker world.

MC members understand the meaning and importance of respect. They demand it for themselves and their club brothers. They provide it to patch holders outside of their own club until given a reason to do otherwise. Regardless of what's on your back, or how you got it, it is of the utmost importance to show an appropriate degree of respect to those who earned their colors in the old-school tradition.

Motorcycle clubs have existed almost since the origin of motorcycles. Almost as soon as motorcycles began production in the early twentieth century, clubs began emerging around the United States, although the one percent (1%) label would come about later. These clubs brought together motorcycle enthusiasts for rides and other events.

One of the first long lasting motorcycle clubs to emerge was the McCook Outlaws in 1936. The group would later be called the Chicago Outlaws and is now known as the Outlaws Motorcycle Club. The group supposedly formed for long distance touring and racing. Alcohol consumption and partying were secondary, but important, reasons as well.

With the end of World War II in 1945, young soldiers returned home looking for more adventure. Veterans often sought other war survivors out for companionship and understanding and the lure of motorcycle riding became entwined in some of these relationships. The American Motorcycle Association or AMA sponsored many clubs during the post war years.

In the late 1940s, after a disturbance in the town of Hollister, California, some individuals responded to a Life article by stating that the disorder was due to only a small percentage of the motorcyclists there. The statements seemed to many to have come from the AMA and some biker clubs broke away from the organization. Clubs not associated with the AMA would come to be known as outlaw clubs.

1% motorcycle clubs started emerging all over the United States and included clubs like the Bandidos Motorcycle Club, the Pagans Motorcycle Club, and the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club. With the arrival of the Vietnam War, the clubs experienced sharp increases in membership as disenfranchised veterans found acceptance and solace in the clubs.

The influx of Vietnam vets also brought drug culture into the clubs, as many soldiers had been introduced to illegal drugs in Asia. The clubs received negative labels from the outside and were often targeted by law officials. Hollywood presented a number of movies that built on this negative, violent perception. A sub-culture developed surrounding the groups. Many members of the 1% clubs insist that illegal activity happens with only a small percentage of the members and shouldn't be used to label everyone.

While places like Canada have seen more violence and illegal drug activities in recent years (in what is known as the Quebec Biker War), perception in the United States has seem to shift somewhat. Popular television series, like Monster Garage, portray members of a 1% motorcycle club in a more favorable light.

Motorcycle clubs have an important place in the history of the twentieth century. Although their image has not always been positive, the sub-culture of the clubs has influenced American culture.

This is for those that do not know the History of the 3 piece patch and 1%ers came from:

The American Motorcycle Association (AMA) was founded in 1924 as an organizing arm to promote motorcycling riding in America. They sanctioned groups of riders from the same area that rode together as clubs. Some wore complete matching outfits with the name of their club stitched on the back of their shirts and/or jackets. At events the AMA would give out awards for the best dressed clubs. This was the start of the motorcycle clubs patches.

During an event in Hollister, California in 1947, an exaggerated news story that was later made into a movie called "The Wild One" starring Marlon Brando. The AMA wrote an article in their magazines stating that 99% of their members were law-abiding citizens and only "1%" are outlaws. This then began what today is known as 1%'ers. These clubs were then banned from all AMA events and functions.

In order to designate themselves as outside the rules of the AMA to all other clubs, the 1%'ers cut their club patches into 3 separate pieces. The top rocker identified the club name, the center identified the emblem or crest of the club, and the bottom rocker identified the city, town, or geographical location from which the club was located.

The term ?colors? is used in referring to a motorcycle club's patch setup. Rockers on top and bottom, patch in the center. Because all three parts are separate, the term three-piece-patch is used.

Motorcycle clubs differ from motorcycling organizations in that they have a probationary "Prospecting" time required before the club members decide whether the individual (Prospect) will be accepted into the group and allowed to wear, or to "Fly" the colors of the club. A separate "cube" with the letters "MC" on it is designed to clarify and distinguish them as a club and not an organization.

RECOGNIZING CLUB PATCHES

1. A one-piece patch typically signifies a family club, riding club, AMA- sanctioned motorcycle club or political action/biker rights organization. Some require little more than filling out an application (which is actually a release of liability) and mailing a check.

2. A 2-Piece patch has many different meanings and variations as long as it's done with "respect" to other clubs. A two-piece patch may signify a motorcycle club in transition, awaiting approval from the dominant club(s) to become a three-piece patch. These clubs are sometimes, but not always, in the process of becoming an associate or support club. The hierarchy and traditions in the MC community are complex but not without purpose. They are valuable for maintaining order and avoiding trouble.

3. The 3-Piece patch normally identifies the club as a traditional motorcycle club(MC). A three-piece patch signifies that the club is not sanctioned by the AMA, but not necessarily a 1% club. With very few exceptions, the club has been approved by the dominant club in the state or area.

The three- piece patch is awarded in three parts as a prospective member earns the privilege to wear the full patch. A "hangaround" is someone who is eligible for membership and has been invited to attend club events and runs, but wears no part of the patch. If he is sponsored by a full member and approved by the club members he may wear the bottom rocker and is considered a "prospect". If he successfully completes the training period and is approved by 100% of the members, he is allowed to have the top rocker and the "center patch" or club insignia. His colors are then complete and he is considered to be a full member or "patch holder."

The traditional, or "old school," three-piece patch MC is one that adheres to established protocols, traditions and a code of conduct. Motorcycle clubs differ from riding clubs or other types of motorcycle organizations as they traditionally have "prospecting" time required before an individual is allowed to wear or "fly" the colors of the group. Most club colors will also have MC printed on the rocker or as an additional small, rectangular patch

4. The diamond patch with the 1% or 13 worn with the 3-Piece Patch is a 1% or support club.

5. A ?nomad? rocker is worn only when a member continues to live a lifestyle within the definition of the word "Nomad"... A person with no fixed address.

6. Many national organizations in the 1980's joined their rockers in with their patch to avoid any designation or confusion within the biking community. An example of this would be the "Harley Owners Group" (HOG) or the Blue Knights.

A Few Points to Remember!

Never, under any circumstances, ever touch a member?s colors. Members take extreme pride in their colors and rightly so. They have gone through a rigorous and time honored tradition to "earn" their colors and therefore they treat their colors with the utmost respect and will protect and defend their colors at any and all costs.

Never ask a member to borrow or wear his jacket with their colors on it as you'll likely get a swat up the side of your head. The only time a non-member is permitted to wear the club's colors (and this varies from club to club) is ONLY when worn by a FEMALE passenger riding with the club member.

Always ask to take a photograph of a club member and/or of their bikes. If granted permission (and you usually will, providing you asked first) NEVER take a picture of the license plate area.

In the event you do start taking pictures of a "biker" on the road, do not be offended if he "flips you the bird" or gives you the "solo finger salute" as this is actually a common friendly gesture in the biker world.

MC members understand the meaning and importance of respect. They demand it for themselves and their club brothers. They provide it to patch holders outside of their own club until given a reason to do otherwise. Regardless of what's on your back, or how you got it, it is of the utmost importance to show an appropriate degree of respect to those who earned their colors in the old-school tradition.

Motorcycle clubs have existed almost since the origin of motorcycles. Almost as soon as motorcycles began production in the early twentieth century, clubs began emerging around the United States, although the one percent (1%) label would come about later. These clubs brought together motorcycle enthusiasts for rides and other events.

One of the first long lasting motorcycle clubs to emerge was the McCook Outlaws in 1936. The group would later be called the Chicago Outlaws and is now known as the Outlaws Motorcycle Club. The group supposedly formed for long distance touring and racing. Alcohol consumption and partying were secondary, but important, reasons as well.

With the end of World War II in 1945, young soldiers returned home looking for more adventure. Veterans often sought other war survivors out for companionship and understanding and the lure of motorcycle riding became entwined in some of these relationships. The American Motorcycle Association or AMA sponsored many clubs during the post war years.

In the late 1940s, after a disturbance in the town of Hollister, California, some individuals responded to a Life article by stating that the disorder was due to only a small percentage of the motorcyclists there. The statements seemed to many to have come from the AMA and some biker clubs broke away from the organization. Clubs not associated with the AMA would come to be known as outlaw clubs.

1% motorcycle clubs started emerging all over the United States and included clubs like the Bandidos Motorcycle Club, the Pagans Motorcycle Club, and the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club. With the arrival of the Vietnam War, the clubs experienced sharp increases in membership as disenfranchised veterans found acceptance and solace in the clubs.

The influx of Vietnam vets also brought drug culture into the clubs, as many soldiers had been introduced to illegal drugs in Asia. The clubs received negative labels from the outside and were often targeted by law officials. Hollywood presented a number of movies that built on this negative, violent perception. A sub-culture developed surrounding the groups. Many members of the 1% clubs insist that illegal activity happens with only a small percentage of the members and shouldn't be used to label everyone.

While places like Canada have seen more violence and illegal drug activities in recent years (in what is known as the Quebec Biker War), perception in the United States has seem to shift somewhat. Popular television series, like Monster Garage, portray members of a 1% motorcycle club in a more favorable light.

Motorcycle clubs have an important place in the history of the twentieth century. Although their image has not always been positive, the sub-culture of the clubs has influenced American culture.

Fantastic Write Up.. The Cobras MC Prospects need to read this.. 1st link that comes up on a web search for the club. I'm way retired though.

i know i might offend some people by saying this but i completely dont understand all this macho stuff...i am part of one club and only one club...so other then bieng vets why do they deserve more respect then any other person wearing a coat.. i will be honest..i go to harley rallies with all my army buddies just to be scorned and hated...we all ride rockets and we are all packing legally..
i am not saying all clubs are bad...but for the most part i dont understand bieng snobish and judgmental.
i dont go looking for a fight but a few years ago a friend of mine got beat and his bike torched by a club...so if they want to be bad asses we go give them someone to play with that they cant push arround.
for the most part i must say we are excepted and have a good time and sometimes even teach the older generation a little about tuning their own bikes.

my moto is that if you are going to hate....then try to hate on me first...lol

I imagine all the "macho shit" with the hierarchy, lengthy joining process, ect, it just to differentiate themselves from the "Family Friendly Honda Safe Touring Riders for Jesus", since clubs like that don't exactly strike fear into people and aren't suitably bad-ass enough, and they want to be clearly distinguished.

It's also easy to see how such practices keep the club stable. Making it difficult to get in weeds out casual looky-loos, troublemakers, and in some cases, cops. They want people who are going to be loyal to the club and if you tough-out the initiation it shows you're serious.

i guess i just really don't understand the need....what do you get out of it? why join a club? what does it matter who is riding with you? I am no angel. i have my run ins with the law. but what is the appeal of bieng labeled? dont wear my bdu's when i ride. does that mean i am not proud? and most importantly my biggest ? is....why hide behind some patches? if i have beef with someone i stand toe to toe without patches and without back up and say whoever walks away wins...so do whatever you want...but i am actually trying to understand ....not fight with you...so if you took it as a challenge then i appologize.

Latest posts

Back