back rest

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SITORR

Reaction score
When I bought my V-Max it came with a corbin seat and a back rest. the back rest was very loose. I found out the previous owner had striped all the bolts.(it's pretty much trashed). Dose anyone know were I can buy the back rest? Do I have to buy the heavy side pieces too? to install the back rest do you have to remove one side? sorry if my ?'s sound dumb

No such thing as a dumb question. You could do what I did. I drilled the four holes to a bigger size and used a locking nut. It's been like this for a year, no problems.

It's actally very common problem. you could do as Mark suggested and/or helicoil it back. You can even drill all the way through and find a bolt that looks decent to put in it. Even if you took them all out you would not be able to remove the upper part anyway so don't worry too much about it. You have to remove or loosen the bottom sides to get that top section out.

Sean Morley

If it's the Yamaha one I would think it wouldn't be that hard to drill and tap new/bigger holes in the side pieces to re-attach the center piece to the side pieces.

You'll need a "Bottom" tap and also need to be careful not to drill all the way thru the side pieces when enlarging the holes.

The other option is to take it somewhere and have it heli-arced into one solid piece...

I wouldn't trash it if I didn't have to...I had to pay $120 for mine from E-bay.....

The holes are all f-up. It looks like he tried to fix it a few times. The last attempt was a piece of wood? i wanted to try and keep this bike as close to stock as possible. i thought about drilling hole all the way thru but it would lose the stock look. Is thier any place where you can just buy a new one? i'm guessing i would have to buy all three pieces? what about the stock one? dose that work with the same side pieces?

The stock grab rail is all one piece.
It in no way interchanges with any part of the 3 piece factory back rest.

How screwed up is it really??
Is it so bad a welding shop can't make it into a one piece unit; forgetting the bolts. A nice heli-arc job can look pretty decent.

Like I said I found mine on E-bay and it cost me $120

New I think it's more than double that....

i did what you guys said. i drilled all the way thru both pieces. i found some nice chrom plated allen head bolts and counter sunk the heads. came out clean. thanks for all the help.

Back