Back to the Vmax at last!😄.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax Paul.

Reaction score
Well hello from the UK👋. I bought my Gen 2 Vmax last week, delivered to me by van. I have not ventured out on it yet as the weather in uk has been aweful, frost, ice, snow, salt on roads ☹️. Well the weather looks like changing from today, Sunday, milder temperatures and rain for a few days to melt the snow and ice and wash off the dreaded salt spread on roads👍.
I have been a biker all of my life, various bikes over many years.
I purchased my 1st Vmax, Gen 1, in 1997, new from PDQ Motorcycles in Taplow. Had a few mods done to it by Larry and his team before I picked it up from them. It was a Canadian import. Cheaper at that time than UK models. Some of the money I saved I spent plus more on modifications to it.
Dymag wheels, Paoli front forks, Ohlins rear shocks, Brembo front brakes, Brembo cast discs, Hindley exhaust complete system etc.
I owned this Vmax for almost 20 years! Various other mods, paint work, clutch cover etc done over the years.
I was a very active member of the now de-funked Vmax Club UK for most of the 20 years. My wife and I enjoyed many miles, about 70,000, over those years. Many Vmax owning friends made in that time in the UK and abroad. We travelled to most of the Vmax rallies held in the UK and many other abroad making so many friends. We travelled with the Vmax Club UK to rallies in Belgium, France, Czech Republic etc. We were at the 30th Anniversary rally in Oberbron, excellent stuff.
Anyway, I retired 5 years ago and sadly could not keep the Vmax for various reasons. I sold it to a fellow Vmax enthusiast locally😪😢. I still occasionally see him with it, he changed the paintwork as obviously that is a personal thing.
I have always wanted another Vmax and promised myself and dreamt of owning another, possibly a Gen 2.
At the Motorcycle News rally at the Peterborough showground, in about 2008 when Yamaha had the Gen 2 released, we had a Vmax club stand at the showground like we had had every year for years, we got in touch with Yamaha and they very kindly sent us a demonstration model to display on the stand! Well, thank you Yamaha! It caused quite a stir on the Club stand. Well, obviously a few of us guys on the Club stand, could not resist and took it out for steady test rides! Magic! I've always wanted one ever since.
Well, as I was saying I have been looking to buy a Gen 2 for a while. I saw one for sale up at Wigan motorcycles. After phone calls and them sending me a video of the Gen 2 I purchased it. It was delivered last week😄😜. Well what a buy. The guy who was selling it had bought it new in January 2009! He sent paperwork with it from Yamaha to say it was one of the first 5 imported to the UK! Well hell! what a buy I got.
5.216 miles since new! Never used in rain. It's mint. My god, what a buy. It comes with Akrapovic titanium exhaust, 240 rear wheel conversion with matching front wheel rim, lowered rear suspension unit, lowered rider seat, paintwork repainted from black to slightly metallic burgundy, rear rack and backrest, different front fork springs, all work done to the bike over the first few months of ownership. Over £6,000 spent with his local Yamaha dealer! Looking at the paperwork I received with the bike in the first few years he was doing around 300/400 miles a year! What a buy! So lucky to have found this great example of Gen 2. I part exchanged my 2014 Yamaha Fazer 8 for it, job done.😃😎.
I just purchased a fly screen from my friend and founder of the Vmax Club UK Henry Doyle, or "H" as he is affectionately known. He is the owner of Exactrep in UK.
Can't wait for next summer to get out and about on my Gen 2 with my wife pillion.😎😃.
I will post some pictures of my Gen 1 1200 and of course my pride and joy Gen 2.
Keep 2 wheels down! and shiny side up!

Paul.

Welcome, and may you have a similar period of use with your 'new' Gen. 2 as you did with the Gen. 1, and safe travels.

Pictures of my 1997 Vmax I owned for 20 years.
And Pictures of my Gen 2 I just bought.

Attachments

• 20221218_130619~2.jpg
    20221218_130619~2.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221218_130547~2.jpg
    20221218_130547~2.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221218_130658~3.jpg
    20221218_130658~3.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221218_130740~2.jpg
    20221218_130740~2.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221218_131300~2.jpg
    20221218_131300~2.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221218_131709.jpg
    20221218_131709.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 1
Welcome, Paul. Nice story.

Congratulations on your new Vmax! I can feel how ecstatic you are being back. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Well done on finding a gen 2, not many around.

Latest posts

Back