Backfire and popping out of right side exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpick77

Reaction score
Ok guys. I performed a little maintenance on the max and installed new plugs, COPS, and a shotgun procedure. My max ran fine before the work. After initial startup idle was fine. All was good until the ride to work. After about 2 miles the popping began. Nursed it home after work "discouraged." Tore into it a couple of days later and preformed the shotgun procedure. Idled up the road. Road a little and then ran it through the gears and low and behold the popping came back. I did get a little of sediment t out of one carb when I drained the bowls. I checked the inside of the tank and it is shinny and clean. I and going to drain the bowls one more time and shotgun again... Any suggestions???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok guys. I performed a little maintenance on the max and installed new plugs, COPS, and a shotgun procedure. My max ran fine before the work. After initial startup idle was fine. All was good until the ride to work. After about 2 miles the popping began. Nursed it home after work "discouraged." Tore into it a couple of days later and preformed the shotgun procedure. Idled up the road. Road a little and then ran it through the gears and low and behold the popping came back. I did get a little of sediment t out of one carb when I drained the bowls. I checked the inside of the tank and it is shinny and clean. I and going to drain the bowls one more time and shotgun again... Any suggestions???

Check your fuel filter or filters -take them off and blow them out.( I run a stock and 1 inline).
Make sure you have those cops on the plugs down tight. (I keep a new plug and check the fire from the coils- a lot easier than doing the shotgun).
Sound like a clogged paj.

Sounds like carb issues to me, did you replace the fuel filter?.......I would do the shotgun again and see how it acts, I would also try to purge a bit of fuel from the inlet line beforehand to see if there's any debris getting through.....................Tom.

Did you remember to cross the two longer coil wires that go in front closest to the radiator?

Yes. Pretty sure. I will check to make sure...

Thanks guys. I went ahead and drained the bowls and got some of the little black stuff so I would guess that's what may be causing it. Going to do a shotgun again tomorrow or the next day and see if that works. Also going to replace the fuel filter. My guess is that it may be some junk in the bowls. Bike sat for a year or so before I bought it. I guess it took two years of rising for it to work loose. A run on reserve may have also been the culprit. May have cleaned out the bottom of the tank...[emoji15]. Let me know if any of have any other suggestion. I really appreciate it!

Thanks guys. I went ahead and drained the bowls and got some of the little black stuff so I would guess that's what may be causing it. Going to do a shotgun again tomorrow or the next day and see if that works. Also going to replace the fuel filter. My guess is that it may be some junk in the bowls. Bike sat for a year or so before I bought it. I guess it took two years of rising for it to work loose. A run on reserve may have also been the culprit. May have cleaned out the bottom of the tank...[emoji15]. Let me know if any of have any other suggestion. I really appreciate it!

If anything put an inline filter to trap what is coming through now.
I would change ALL the fuel lines as the little black stuff you are describing is the inside of old fuel line.

Going to try and fiddle with the max tonight and I'll hopefully remedy the prob... Fingers crossed...

Didn't get to work on it tonight. Went to the dirt track races instead...[emoji16]

030b524934cbe4f75df3a454ed4d22a4.jpg

Going for round three. Wish me luck...[emoji16]

Finished it up last night. Fired it up and synced the carbs with my digi sync. Noticed that the bike had a hard time staying at 1000 rpms. Idle would fluctuate. Would idle between 980-1040ish. Normal??? Anyways, got the carbs in sync. Have not had a chance for a test ride yet. Hopefully tomorrow. [emoji16]

Sounds like you're getting to the point of pulling the carbs and doing a proper clean and reassemble. I would also look closely again at your cop conversion since this all started after it.

PS: you garage pics makes me think of the VMax article from the eighties where the two are lined up. I think it was cycle world...

Back