Backrest clear coat cracks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SledHead

Reaction score
The quote "NOS" backrest that I bought on eBay has the infamous clear coat cracking issue. What is the best way to restore this?

1. What is the best way to remove the old clearcoat?
  2. Can I use a rattle can of clearcoat to respray it? Does the rattle can stuff work very well?

I will consider simply polishing it if necessary, but I'm not even sure how to do that. Additionally I want it to match the rest of the bike, so I don't want it to look like chrome.

Thank you in advance for the help!

The quote "NOS" backrest that I bought on eBay has the infamous clear coat cracking issue. What is the best way to restore this?

1. What is the best way to remove the old clearcoat?
  2. Can I use a rattle can of clearcoat to respray it? Does the rattle can stuff work very well?
I will consider simply polishing it if necessary, but I'm not even sure how to do that. Additionally I want it to match the rest of the bike, so I don't want it to look like chrome.

Thank you in advance for the help!

If you don't like the chrome look,contact
PATMAX For powder coating:biglaugh:

That thing is a long way from NOS. I can see where the bolts were torqued down from it being mounted up.

Not NOS and hope you did not pay NOS price for it. Polishing it will make it stand out like a site thumb on a bike that is stock otherwise. Aircraft Finish remover in the gel type payed on thick and probably two or three applications will remove just about all that and do NOT use steel wool, any of those green scrubby pads or the like. Soft plastic bristles only. Otherwise you will impart scratches into the finish. Eastwood makes a clear called Nyalack that is easy to apply, replicates the original clear and resisted yellowing.
If it were me, I'd try to get my $ back from the seller unless you got it for say $150. Powdercoating is an option but will increase your costs but leaves you with a long lasting carefree finish. I have yet to do it but I don't see why it cannot be powdercoated clear after being stripped. I have one currently that was a pain to strip but there were sections that lifted in sheets. A smooth factory surface just doesn't have the "bite" to reliably hold the powder.

Factory Clear Coat:

I found some spray at Advanced Auto that Kyle recommended. Worked great.
Refinish was done with Plastikote type paint in Silver. It's held up to more abuse
than some powder coatings and only cost a few dollars. I poured gas on a test piece
and it didn't touch the finish. Body Shops hate the stuff because it's a Royal Pain in the
Ass to get it off.

That thing is a long way from NOS. I can see where the bolts were torqued down from it being mounted up.

Yep, Sean, I opened a case with eBay asking for a partial refund.

Not NOS and hope you did not pay NOS price for it. Polishing it will make it stand out like a site thumb on a bike that is stock otherwise. Aircraft Finish remover in the gel type payed on thick and probably two or three applications will remove just about all that and do NOT use steel wool, any of those green scrubby pads or the like. Soft plastic bristles only. Otherwise you will impart scratches into the finish. Eastwood makes a clear called Nyalack that is easy to apply, replicates the original clear and resisted yellowing.
If it were me, I'd try to get my $ back from the seller unless you got it for say $150. Powdercoating is an option but will increase your costs but leaves you with a long lasting carefree finish. I have yet to do it but I don't see why it cannot be powdercoated clear after being stripped. I have one currently that was a pain to strip but there were sections that lifted in sheets. A smooth factory surface just doesn't have the "bite" to reliably hold the powder.

Good info PATMAX thank you. I figured there must be some kind of remover to get the old stuff off.

It's just a bummer that the seller did not reveal the flaw. I will pursue it with eBay, but as these OEM backrests are hard to come by, I don't want to send it back.

Factory Clear Coat:

I found some spray at Advanced Auto that Kyle recommended. Worked great.
Refinish was done with Plastikote type paint in Silver. It's held up to more abuse
than some powder coatings and only cost a few dollars. I poured gas on a test piece
and it didn't touch the finish. Body Shops hate the stuff because it's a Royal Pain in the
Ass to get it off.

So, did you strip off the old clear coat, or just paint over it with the Plastikote Silver?

Stripped the finish with the stuff Kyle recommended. Can't remember the name of it but it was a spray that you leave on for a few minutes till the clearcoat lifts. Pretty amazing stuff..... Then you rinse with water......

Latest posts

Back