Backrest compatibility

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbmorgan

Reaction score
Hello folks, I’m new to the Vmax and the forum and I’m curious about backrest compatibility from other bikes. I can source a few vstar backrest locally for a decent price but uncertain if it would fit a vmax. I wouldn’t mind a minor modification to make one fit. Would the vstar fit or any other? I’ve also thought about making one and mounting it in the reflector location on the factory sissy bar/grab handle. Has anyone tried this? Thanks for any help, loving the Vmax!

The OEM 3 piece is nearly the only thing out there. Aftermarket ones are few and far-between. The Maxgasser seat is going to be made again by the looks of things. (31) I’m Back …………. | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net) Not a backrest, but an alternative seat to one (OEM) many people find lacking.

1649244526331.png

It offers a bit more vertical support than the standard factory seat, for the pilot's lower back. Since they are custom-made, the shape can be tailored to the rider.

The Corbin seat in some models has a backrest that can be for the pilot or the passenger, or for both (requires two, obviously). It/they are removable. They had originally a solid pad, now they have a 'halo' with an open center. It's the 'Ovalbac,' and is curved and is adjustable. The flat-style with no 'halo' I believe is still offered.

1649246378578.png

Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Yamaha V-Max | 800-538-7035

VMax Corbin seat-backrest old style.png

Here's another rare aftermarket backrest.

1649245458051.png

Yamaha V-Max 1200 (Up to 2008) Carrier in Chrome - with Padded Backrest - Renntec - Motorcycle luggage racks, grab rails & more

This is probably the least expensive aftermarket backrest & luggage rack you're gonna find. U.K. pricing currently £ 170.

No modifications are required to fit to your V-Max, so your bike can be returned to standard quickly.

• Full instructions and fittings included
  • Easy installation
  • No modifications needed
  • UK Designed & Manufactured
  • Chromed finish

Last edited:
I went to a MaxGasser seat from a Corbin, night and day would fail to encompass the magnitude of the improvement. It's worth every penny. Good to hear it will again be an option. The rack and backrest I was lucky enough to get while still in production.20200819_115036.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1649251524404.png
    1649251524404.png
    441 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
1649252602304.png

Another adaptation I found.

1649252942402.png

One that henrysgmc sold awhile ago.

One from one member, who used to make these, I don't think he's still in production.

1649253160135.png

And a shot of Dobie Gillum's Cycle-istic backrest/luggage rack with a Maxgasser seat, no interference.

1649253420927.png

Last edited:
Not for the Gen 1. Homemade for my Gen 2. Maybe $40 in material. I have this one already painted up. I am awaiting a Yamaha sticker before I apply my clear coat. The back rest is already made and will be the full length of my back rest. It is in a similar style as my main seat with a carbon fiber type look with regular vinyl using red thread to pull it all together.

I made this as a swap so if a passenger wanted to ride on the Gen 2 with me, a few minutes I could swap it. I tried looking into quick connects, but decided to use the nuts and bolts that hold my low rise to the bike. Once its completed, I will post a final product pic. 0817211720_HDR.jpg

Guess no one can see my post for a Factory backrest with 6 pack rack in the For Sale classifieds.

As Patmax said, the factory backrest and luggage rack are made for the job. Sounds like we may have a motivated seller, and a motivated buyer.

Me personally the stock Yamaha stuff looks the bes if you can get it
I do have a high test that was made by a member on this site it’s my second the first was on my 2010 you reuse the short pad my partner is very happy
with a set of passenger lowering pegs from Corbin to get her out of fetal position the rides are very pleasent

cheers
Peter

Me personally the stock Yamaha stuff looks the bes if you can get it
I do have a high test that was made by a member on this site it’s my second the first was on my 2010 you reuse the short pad my partner is very happy
with a set of passenger lowering pegs from Corbin to get her out of fetal position the rides are very pleasent

cheers
Peter
This is using stock rails

I went to a MaxGasser seat from a Corbin, night and day would fail to encompass the magnitude of the improvement. It's worth every penny. Good to hear it will again be an option. The rack and backrest I was lucky enough to get while still in production.View attachment 83375
Great rig. What is that spare gas tank setup? Is it hooked up to your stock gas tank?

Great rig. What is that spare gas tank setup? Is it hooked up to your stock gas tank?

Thanks.

It was going to be an aux for the Vmax, I had it made narrow so it would look better on the rack. Turns out it fits nicely in the trunk of a Venture too.

I found a hose on the Vmax I could splice it into and it would just gravity feed (light, simple) into the service tank. Not fast, but faster than hoofing it. Fuel range is absolutely critical when you avoid cities with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

I used a Virago backrest and it fit the stock Gen I rails.

Attachments

• Rollie's '90 VMax At The Dragon   50.jpg
    Rollie's '90 VMax At The Dragon 50.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 32
I used a Virago backrest and it fit the stock Gen I rails.
Yes it does. Certain years.

Be very careful when attempting to fit the hoop! The correct way is to to loosen/remove one of the side grab-handles, then place the hoop into the still mounted grab-handle. Re-mount the loosened/removed grab-handle, start the machine screws, and do the screw tightening in several passes, to ensure that everything is properly aligned.

When using a Virago backrest I found it necessary to grind one corner to get the hoop properly-fitted. Be aware that if you buy the complete Virago sissybar, the grab-handles are NOT the same as the VMax! You will be wasting your $. It's possible that you may have to buy a complete Virago sissybar, in which case you could try to sell the unused side-pieces to recoup some of your expenditure.

I'd just like to add from personal experience that with the Exactrep backrest installed on my gen 1, I could not get a Corbin seat (with the removeable gas fill section) to properly install. The extra bracket needed to install the backrest prevent the rear of the corbin seat from fitting down all the way on to the frame.

I'd just like to add from personal experience that with the Exactrep backrest installed on my gen 1, I could not get a Corbin seat (with the removeable gas fill section) to properly install. The extra bracket needed to install the backrest prevent the rear of the corbin seat from fitting down all the way on to the frame.
That is also common with the stock backrest though it's not usually a problem.

Back