• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Backrest/sissy Bar

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman352004

Reaction score
Just became the owner of a mint 2004 (29000 km or 18,000 miles). I wanted one since 1985 and finally got the one. I am looking for a Sissy bar for it and they seem to be hard to find. If anyone can has one or can point me to a good source I would appreciate it. Also looking for Saddle bag suggestions. Not planning on many long road trips this years but wanted to have something I can put on/take off easily when the urge takes me. If you know of any good Canadian suppliers that would be great. Already checked Royal distribution and Fortnine. Thanks in advance

Keep an eye on the forums for backrest/sissy bar
I made brackets for my saddle bags, work pretty good, then got them powder coated. Bolt onto where the rear signals do and mounted the signals between the bags below the rear rack just above the taillight.

I have some leather bags and a few sets of backrests with and without the optional racks.

Just became the owner of a mint 2004 (29000 km or 18,000 miles). I wanted one since 1985 and finally got the one. I am looking for a Sissy bar for it and they seem to be hard to find. If anyone can has one or can point me to a good source I would appreciate it. Also looking for Saddle bag suggestions. Not planning on many long road trips this years but wanted to have something I can put on/take off easily when the urge takes me. If you know of any good Canadian suppliers that would be great. Already checked Royal distribution and Fortnine. Thanks in advance
Did you ever find a sissy bar for your bike?

Still looking for that sissy bar? Sorry making a correction here. The one I have is for a 1985 Honda V65.

Last edited:
Are you enjoying the bike ? Ive been thinking of getting one for past 30 years since i was a teenager liked them but now my mates try putting me off saying they handle shit. I dont see it as a sports bike more of a fast cruiser so does it matter

Are you enjoying the bike ? Ive been thinking of getting one for past 30 years since i was a teenager liked them but now my mates try putting me off saying they handle shit. I dont see it as a sports bike more of a fast cruiser so does it matter
Just let your mates.See nothing but tail light. When they see how the max takes off. They will be amazed.
I had a guy at the drag strip.
Say vmax isn't fast anymore.
He rode a zx14 with turbo.
When the lights went green.
I didn't see him again.till almost the end of the 1/8 mile. At the end of the quarter mile.he was already getting his time slip.ya he beat me.but he also could not believe.how the vmax launched off the line. He tried 2 more times.same results. After all our runs. He came over and hung out and talked bikes. Also said he would think twice.before challenging a vmax at a stop light.

Just let your mates.See nothing but tail light. When they see how the max takes off. They will be amazed.
I had a guy at the drag strip.
Say vmax isn't fast anymore.
He rode a zx14 with turbo.
When the lights went green.
I didn't see him again.till almost the end of the 1/8 mile. At the end of the quarter mile.he was already getting his time slip.ya he beat me.but he also could not believe.how the vmax launched off the line. He tried 2 more times.same results. After all our runs. He came over and hung out and talked bikes. Also said he would think twice.before challenging a vmax at a stop light.
Nice one. But having had many modern bikes with traction control etc id think im gonna skid off on launch or is it not bad

Many current bikes find their vaunted features are sorely-tried by an experienced rider on a fully-stock VMax. Add some improvements, and your results will only increase.

I consider the #1 best overall improvement to a stock VMax is to add an accessory (not-stock) rear wheel in either 17" or 18" usually 5-1/2" wide (any-wider, and you will probably need to 'notch' the OEM swingarm) so you can run radial tires. It makes the handling at triple-digit speeds much more-stable, and cornering in the 'upper register of use' is greatly-improved. Use the search function for more info. You can use the OEM front wheel with a radial tire, it's not the best solution, but you can do it. Just use the same brand and style (construction and rubber compound) of tires, f & r.

The first is a bolt-up 18" X 5-1/2" rim

18 inch X 5 and one-half inch VMax wheel.jpg
Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_01.jpg

The second is a weld-up 17" X 5-1/2" rim, with an stock 15" rim next-to it.

The 18" rim is closer-to the OEM 15" 90-series profile wheel/tire height, so your top-end loss of speed will be less. The 17" is quite a bit shorter in height with a typical 55 or 60 series 17" sportbike tire. That has an effect of being a gearing change, so, faster acceleration, but you will significantly lose top-end. However, how-often do most riders try to hit the 149 MPH rating associated with the stock bike?

Back