Backrest Sissybar Installation Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATLryder

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used OEM backrest assembly for my 06, tried to install it and realized I am missing a part. The part is a black piece I believe that allows a place for the rear seat to fit into it. It appears it would have 3 holes and at least 1 bolt goes through the rear fender. The person I bought it from swears he had no such part installed on his bike. My question is did earlier vmax grab bars maybe have that part but not machined into the grab bar or is he just BSing me because he sold me an incomplete assembly? Also, does anyone know if that is a part that can be had through a Yamaha dealership? I noticed several threads about the backrests being hard to obtain through the dealer. Thanks.

Yea,
Your missing the black piece. Can't remember if it was on the factory
bar or came with mine. Pretty sure when I bought mine from the
guy on craigslist it had the blk metal plate. All I had to do was
change over my reflector. Guy needs to give you the plate unless
you bought as is.
Goodluck

I believe the black piece is part of the back rest. I looked on fiche for early models and that piece is not listed as separate so it's either a one piece grab bar or you can only get it by buying the whole unit. I've never had a grab bar and mine does have that black piece you're talking about.

That black piece only comes with the backrest assembly. It has two functions. It ties the two side brackets together and the seat has a tab that slips under the center portion to hold it in place. Your only way to get another one is to buy it on eBay or from someone who has an extra. Very unlikely.... I had the same problem and bought a damaged set off eBay just to get that piece.

m-cman is right, bracket comes with Yamaha backrest and very hard to find. Mine broke/cracked on my backrest, ended up fixing it as I never found one used.

Good luck

Mike

Seat won't go anywhere if you leave it off. You can always try to fab something up if you think you need one.

Sean

Here are some pics I have on file from mine. It shows the piece you are lacking. Maybe from these photos you can fab up a piece. My bar was very ill fitting. I ended up putting helicoils in to secure the "top hoop" as the existing threads were pretty junk. My bar was purchased used and p/c'ed though?

Attachments

• DSC01140.jpg
    DSC01140.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC01141.jpg
    DSC01141.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC01142.jpg
    DSC01142.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC01145.jpg
    DSC01145.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 35
The threads for the upright pretty much suck. Especially if you add on the rack.

Sean

The threads for the upright pretty much suck. Especially if you add on the rack.

Sean

This whole Yamaha accessory pretty much sucks, IMO!!

I got one of the last new ones off the line, waited 6 or 7 months for it to finally arrive, and then had to Dremel off burrs and casting screw-ups to make it fit. Very poor quality control!

Actually it seems kinda wierd, these things are in such high demand, and Ya Mama goes out of production. :confused2:

Nice pics Mike, doesn't look like that part would be hard to fab, but like Sean said, the seat is bolted on anyway so it isn't going anywhere.

Just a thought, there's a seat retainer on the stock grab bar isn't there? Is there a way to remove it and adapt it to the sissybar? Just throwing this out without doing any research BTW.

Just a thought, there's a seat retainer on the stock grab bar isn't there? Is there a way to remove it and adapt it to the sissybar? Just throwing this out without doing any research BTW.

Here's a pic of the tab on the grab rail. If he wants to hack up the stock grab rail it might be of some use:confused2: I'd just go and make my own though, like you said, it wouldn't be too hard. I'd like to keep the grab rail in order in case you wanna go back, or sell.

Attachments

• DSC01110.JPG
    DSC01110.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01111.JPG
    DSC01111.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 18
Back