Baffle removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Dipper

Reaction score
I have a 2019 and I don't have the money to spend on exhaust. I think the stock exhaust is just to quiet for the performance look of the bike. Does anyone know of a good way to remove the baffles? And if it would sound better? Also would it effect anything important when leaving everything else stock?

First, I don't own a Gen. 2. I'm not familiar w/the internal construction of the baffles. I can tell you what the 'old-school' way to make more noise is: Take a piece of re-bar and put it through the exhaust port until it stops, and use a baby sledge on it. Grinding the end of the re-bar to a point would probably make the task easier.

Now I'm going to tell you why not to do it. The last thing the world needs is a noisy, rattly, cannot be-fixed poorly-modified exhaust. You have a nearly-new bike, which probably lightened the bank account of about $14-15K. If you want more-noise, wait until you can put a set of someone's slip-on's onto the bike. That, or buy a set of take-offs from someone who's recouping some of the cost of their slip-on switch-over, and ruin er, modify those. The Yamaha engineers spent a lot of time and $ to design a system for 'passing-gas.' The back-pressure and the routing of the exhaust to make it quiet and effective at the majority of the tach sweep range isn't something they came-up with easily. My no-cost 'solution' to your desire for more-noise will permanently alter your canisters. Yes, it will make more noise. I'd wait until you can afford some slip-on's, or search for someone who removes their aftermarket exhaust to sell it separately because they went back to stock, perhaps to sell the bike.

Last edited:
I have a 2019 and I don't have the money to spend on exhaust. I think the stock exhaust is just to quiet for the performance look of the bike. Does anyone know of a good way to remove the baffles? And if it would sound better? Also would it effect anything important when leaving everything else stock?
Stay stock!

The Gen 2 doesnt have baffles. What people think of as baffles are almost what you would call exhaust tips because you can almost see straight thru them. 99 % of the noise reduction is due to the catalytic converter. You can get the cat delete pipes and keep the stock "baffles". You might need to get the ecu reflashed though. I do know that Tim Nash offers a reflash for even a stock gen 2, and does away with the factory limitations, and helps to balance the throttle bodies.

This is my take on what a Gen 2 should sound like.

Last edited:
Mark (It goes) had a cat delete pipe and kept the stock "baffles" for a bit. I hope that he will chime in.

The Gen 2 doesnt have baffles. What people think of as baffles are almost what you would call exhaust tips because you can almost see straight thru them. 99 % of the noise reduction is due to the catalytic converter. You can get the cat delete pipes and keep the stock "baffles". You might need to get the ecu reflashed though. I do know that Tim Nash offers a reflash for even a stock gen 2, and does away with the factory limitations, and helps to balance the throttle bodies.

This is my take on what a Gen 2 should sound like.

The idle note sounds great. The blips in that video, I can hear the exhaust "roll" through the pipes. Its awful in my opinion. Sounds like exhaust rolling inside itself. Where I live, alot of the Ford mustang folks have exhaust that sound like that. I can hear them coming before I see the vehicle. But, everything is to each his own. What sounds good to me will surely sound like crap to someone else.

As Traumahawk described there is no way to make the stock mufflers louder without removing the cat.

If you are on a budget I would recommend this pipe V MAX V-MAX 1700 Exhaust Cat Eliminator DECAT 2009 -. It will work with the factory mufflers. It would be nice to have it ceramic coated in black to match the factory exhaust but, you could use a black header paint Satin Black Hi-Temp Coating on it and it would look fine for quite a while.

The very next thing you should put some dough away for is an ECU re-flash from Gurued Gear. It will transform the bike and make it even more fun to ride.

Last edited:
I've never liked the way Kerker's sound. Always sounded like the bike had a burnt valve or something.

Best sounds I ever heard were the original UFO exhaust and the Dale Walker systems.

I also have a 2009 and here is my experience with the exhaust. I purchased the bike with an original X-pipe already installed with the stock mufflers. I wanted a little more sound. I had the mufflers taken apart. There are no internal baffles. The muffler is made up of one inlet pipe that Y's out to two outlet pipes. The pipe is straight through perforated with small holes & wrapped with packing to deaden noise. In my case I cut off the two exit pipes, just after the Y, & increased the pipe diameter from 1.3" to 1.5" then installed a less dense packing. Now my Catalytic converter was already gone but I can tell you that the muffler modification made a significant difference in the sound level. So the mufflers do some sound deadening. Although the Catalytic converter is restrictive & deadens most of the sound before it gets to the mufflers. I already had the X-pipe but if the Catalytic converter was in place I don't think there would have been much if any sound difference.

I read on the other (now gone) StarMax forum that someone performed a similar muffler modification but left the packing out completely. That caused the muffler body to crack. That cracking may have been the due to the exhaust pules coming through the perforated muffler pipe striking the muffler body directly without the packing installed to absorb the exhaust pulse. Or the cracking could have been caused from vibration due to the lack of muffler packing. But it does show that the muffler are doing some sound reduction.

I drew a little sketch of my muffler modifications but again I really don't think to would be worth it if the Catalytic converter was in place.
Ypipe Posting.jpg

I read on the other (now gone) StarMax forum that someone performed a similar muffler modification but left the packing out completely. That caused the muffler body to crack. That cracking may have been the due to the exhaust pules coming through the perforated muffler pipe striking the muffler body directly without the packing installed to absorb the exhaust pulse. Or the cracking could have been caused from vibration due to the lack of muffler packing. But it does show that the muffler are doing some sound reduction.

I drew a little sketch of my muffler modifications but again I really don't think to would be worth it if the Catalytic converter was in place.
View attachment 72908

Yes that was me, the mufflers did crack I believe from the exhaust pulses amplified in the empty chamber. Sounded cool while it lasted.

The mufflers do have some quieting ability but do almost nothing with the cat in place. Very easy to prove just pull them of and you'll see the bike is still quiet.

I did the same thing you did as well, I made my own Y-Pipes to fit into the mufflers by welding up a couple of off the shelf exhaust fittings. In the end I decided to run Kerker mufflers instead.

Itgoes, seeing that video brings back memories of the old forum. It was you that inspired me to modify my stock mufflers since I love there look. Back then, after reading the problems you had with the body cracking, I did a similar modification but I used packing. With the packing & X-pipe mine is no wares as load as yours was but just right for me. I did the muffler modification back in 2012 & has been perfect ever since. Thank You.

Thank you all for the opinions on my exhaust questions I found it helpful. I think I will leave it stock for now and look into the ECU flash and get rid of the cat. After that I will look into slip-ons

Here are few pictures of the original exhaust pipe that pultruded out of the back of the muffler body and the size of the modified exhaust pipe pultruding out of the back of the muffler body. Latter I added the exhaust tips but I had to have about 1/3" of the inlet exhaust tip machined larger to fit over the larger exhaust pipe pultruding out of the back of the muffler body.

Original.jpgModified.jpg
Vmax exhaust tips 2.jpg

I actually think I have a pair of mufflers that had whatever minor internals removed (by Art from the original Star forum).

I actually think I have a pair of mufflers that had whatever minor internals removed (by Art from the original Star forum).
Do you still have these Sean? I’m really wanting to try this but want to preserve my stock mufflers in case I want to go back. Also, how do you get these apart to get access to the pipes inside? Maybe I’m just being a moron but I can’t see how to get them apart.

It has been a wile but if I remember correctly on the outlet side of the muffler there are 6 screws that you will remove. I pictured them circled in red. On the inlet side there are rivets that must be drilled out. Then the whole assemble can be pulled out of the muffler body. It is pulled out from inlet side of the muffler.

Attachments

• Original 1.jpg
    Original 1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 18
Do you still have these Sean? I’m really wanting to try this but want to preserve my stock mufflers in case I want to go back. Also, how do you get these apart to get access to the pipes inside? Maybe I’m just being a moron but I can’t see how to get them apart.
I think so. Email me at [email protected]

Latest posts

Back