Baffle removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been a wile but if I remember correctly on the outlet side of the muffler there are 6 screws that you will remove. I pictured them circled in red. On the inlet side there are rivets that must be drilled out. Then the whole assemble can be pulled out of the muffler body. It is pulled out from inlet side of the muffler.
Thanks Allen, I think the rivets on the inlet side are what I missed.

Sorry....I just saw your PM.

I drilled the spot welds on the small (inlet) side of the muffler to get to the internals. Then I put it back together with screws nuts and washers.

If you're not in a hurry I have a spare muffler you could practice on, but I won't be able to ship it until maybe the end of this week. Just pay for the shipping.

Mark

Sorry....I just saw your PM.

I drilled the spot welds on the small (inlet) side of the muffler to get to the internals. Then I put it back together with screws nuts and washers.

If you're not in a hurry I have a spare muffler you could practice on, but I won't be able to ship it until maybe the end of this week. Just pay for the shipping.

Mark
No worries Mark, I may be getting a set from
Sean but if not I would take you up on it. Thanks much, you guys have been a lot of help.

I wish
Vmax Gen1/Kerker = Bad ass
Vmax Gen2/Kerker = Really bad ass

“Rolling” through the pipe or not, it gives me oomlocks. (Ferangi reaction)
Kerker still made it for the gen 2 I love the kerker sound so much

Love
Yes that was me, the mufflers did crack I believe from the exhaust pulses amplified in the empty chamber. Sounded cool while it lasted.

The mufflers do have some quieting ability but do almost nothing with the cat in place. Very easy to prove just pull them of and you'll see the bike is still quiet.

I did the same thing you did as well, I made my own Y-Pipes to fit into the mufflers by welding up a couple of off the shelf exhaust fittings. In the end I decided to run Kerker mufflers instead.

this sound this are kerker?

I also have a 2009 and here is my experience with the exhaust. I purchased the bike with an original X-pipe already installed with the stock mufflers. I wanted a little more sound. I had the mufflers taken apart. There are no internal baffles. The muffler is made up of one inlet pipe that Y's out to two outlet pipes. The pipe is straight through perforated with small holes & wrapped with packing to deaden noise. In my case I cut off the two exit pipes, just after the Y, & increased the pipe diameter from 1.3" to 1.5" then installed a less dense packing. Now my Catalytic converter was already gone but I can tell you that the muffler modification made a significant difference in the sound level. So the mufflers do some sound deadening. Although the Catalytic converter is restrictive & deadens most of the sound before it gets to the mufflers. I already had the X-pipe but if the Catalytic converter was in place I don't think there would have been much if any sound difference.

I read on the other (now gone) StarMax forum that someone performed a similar muffler modification but left the packing out completely. That caused the muffler body to crack. That cracking may have been the due to the exhaust pules coming through the perforated muffler pipe striking the muffler body directly without the packing installed to absorb the exhaust pulse. Or the cracking could have been caused from vibration due to the lack of muffler packing. But it does show that the muffler are doing some sound reduction.

I drew a little sketch of my muffler modifications but again I really don't think to would be worth it if the Catalytic converter was in place.
View attachment 72908

Do you have any pics of the baffle alone? The drawing is slightly misleading...those end pipes are barely 3" long before the curved pieces connect to the single pipe. Sticking a tape measure down into the curved section is ballpark about 2 1/2" meaning about 4 more inches of the single pipe. I might try this down the road but seeing how short the two end pieces are, think I'd extend those two exit pipes as far as possible with less of the single pipe.

ShawnD - I don't have any pictures of the internal mufflers. I had a local shop do the work. I have attached a picture of the exit pipe on a stock Vmax muffler (Not Mine) & a picture of my muffler so you can see the difference in the size of the two exit pipes..

Attachments

• Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Modified.jpg
    Modified.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 12
Back