Bah, looks like carb strip down AGAIN

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
Been standing 7 months due to covid. Put fresh fuel and still won't start, fires intermittently but open up throttle, engines dies immediately.

Removed top of airbox, slides all free to move, spray some brake cleaner which makes it run then stop with a backfire on front right cylinder.

No option but to remove carbs for an inspection/clean.

Have at-it, here's hoping nothing runs-away off the work area, and hides where you cannot locate it.

I've done it once already so know the pitfalls, just wasn't expecting to do it again so soon.

Suspected blockage after 6 months standing is that normal?
Should I have run it say fortnightly?

At least I'll be able to get the numbers on the jets this time.

Also will look to see how easy it is to drain the carbs or fit inline switch to the fuel pump in order to run the carbs dry.

If I were to fit a K&N filter, would I need to change the jetting?

About the K&N, no, I don't believe you need to change jetting.

About sitting 180 days, yes, if you didn't run the carbs dry, you probably have obstructions/blockages. That's how it is with the 10% ethanol.

Carb draining, I'd just use the bowl drain screws. 'lefty-loosie' white arrows (attach.) The screws do not need to be removed, just loosened.VMax carbs disassembled diaphragm side.jpg

A switch to stop or keep the fuel pump off (like a theft deterrent), easy-enough.

hope it's an easy fix for you, I start mine up every 3 - 4 weeks and put the battery on charge each month too but I still had that small problem that the 'shotgun' fixed, is it worth trying that on yours

Latest posts

Back