Balance H Pipe Rotted

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SvenDGAF

Reaction score
So, after a number of bodged repairs, my balance pipe finally decided it had had enough.

It jetisonned itself onto the M40 (freeway) on the way home from the Bulldog Bash (HAMC England biker bestival) - still around 100 miles from home. So I had to ride back with virtually open headers on the front 2 cylinders! luckily I had already run the guantlet of pigs hanging around the surrounding roads! Jesus it was loud. I luckily had emergency ear plugs with me (mainly so I could sleep through all the surrounding tents' snoring and bike revving - there always seems to be someone doing it at one at 3 am!).

Anyway, being a poor peasant I decided to replace the mid section with a stainless one, rather than a full system....... Picked a new H section for ?90 (around $135).

Cutting a long story short, after much sodding about trying to get the old one off (after 24 years of being jammed and rusted together), I manged to geth the silencers and everything off, and cut the balance pipe from the header with an angle grinder. I knew (and checked) the new one fitted over the "fat" part of the header, rather than where the previous one had been. All fitted and correct - we replaced the whole thing, and tightened it all up, except the silencers, which were mounted up, with pipes in, but not clamped up, as I'd decided during the operation to add slip-ons soon.

Result - sounded weedy and pathetic like it always used to. After the thrill of watching old and young alike run screaming from me when I started it up at petrol and mechanical stops when running it all open, I needed something more........ :th_angelic008::scooter 1::th_bfxbfxvfxv: and i'll be adding Supertrapps in the coming weeks :punk:

Here is a pic of the old pipes and the new ones

rotted_balance_pipe.jpg
rotted_balance_pipe3.jpg
rotted_balance_pipe2.jpg

Yup - that's typical English weather / salted winter roads exhaust pipes..

You should see the ones on my '86 here in Florida - they look like they've never seen rain ;-)

And yea open headers are loud, I ran Supertrapps for a while and even that was too loud for me!

Back