Ballistic battery failure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a couple of problems crop-up suddenly on my bike, the headlight began working erratically, the horn wouldn't shout (I have a WOLO 'Bad Boy' airhorn) & that tells me, 'a bad ground or a bad +':ummm:

This is what I found on my Ballistic battery. Trying for a warranty thru the shop where I bought two of 'em in the past year. One for the VMax, one for the FZR1000.

The brass casting, threaded for the 6mm X1.0 thread battery terminal bolt, snapped. The length of the bolt is < the thickness of the wire harness + ring terminal & flat washer when the bolt is tightened into the battery. It appears the + terminal snapped inside the case. :damn angry:

I already ordered a Shorai, as the shop said Parts Unlimited is giving them a hard time over warranties on the Ballistics. I still believe in the 'goodness' of the lithium-ion concept. They just need to be made to withstand the duty use in a motorcycle.

I also got-off my lazy butt & rewired my WOLO airhorn, which I had previously just wired-up to the stock terminals, w/o using the included relay. I never popped a fuse, but the horn was probably having a problem w/the broken + terminal. While troubleshooting the horn, including properly-wiring the relay (should have done it in the 1st place), I found the broken + battery terminal. I have the relay in-place now. The horn sounds much-louder now! I have a dB meter I inherited from my oldest brother, he retired as a railroad engineer for Amtrack a few years-ago & used to keep a dB meter in the engine to check on the ambient noise level, as he had some documented hearing loss from the heavy equipment. I can also use it for documenting the scream of my UFO Dragstar 4/1, I say "it's as-loud as a 747 on take-off!" And, Monday, Steve at Under Pressure, the Dania Beach FL 33312 shop which builds all-kinds of drag bikes (6 seconds!) & maintains/repairs my humble VMax as required, should be in-receipt of my megaphone Jon Cornell shipped to me last week. :clapping:Added: pics of the UFO megaphone 4/3/13

Going back outside to finish the day's projects so I can ride. Gonna cannibalize the Ballistic from the FZR1000 for the VMMax to be able to ride...:biglaugh:

Attachments

• battery terminal.JPG
    battery terminal.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 63
  • what is it.1.jpg
    what is it.1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 31
  • what is it.2.JPG
    what is it.2.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Yeah, I still like the lithium-ion batteries because there's less battery acid & fumes. I could get something cheaper, but probably will wait to see what happens w/the Parts Unlimited rep at my friend's store where I bought it, not quite a year-ago.

UB12180 Features:
- AGM design yields excellent Deep Cycle service Performance rating
- Less than 3% per month standing self discharge.
- Maintenance Free
- Valve Regulated
- Float and Cycle Use
- AGM design may offer greater reliability in extreme use applications
- Leak Proof/Spill Proof
- 1 Year Warranty

The UPG (Universal Power Group) AGM Battery is a state of the art design battery made in Asia. This battery is a sealed (Non-Spillable) requires no addition of water during the life of the battery. The AGM Battery is TRUE DEEP CYCLE can be mounted in any position, requires no maintenance and may be transported by Air or Ground without any special handling regulations. When an AGM battery is charged no hazardous fumes escape the battery case, gases are processed within the battery itself.

The following is a copy from another thread I posted 4-3-13:

I just got the news that the Parts Unlimited Ballistic rep gave the "OK" to warranty my failed Ballistic lithium-ion battery at 100% replacement, they are going to drop-ship to my home a replacement. I have the paperwork. When I get it, I'm going to turn it in at the dealer where I originally-bought it almost a year ago, and exchange it for a Shorai lithium ion battery. The shop owner said they stopped selling the Ballistic but they still sell the Shorai. The rep called it a "goodwill gesture," I call it a good business practice. The shop at-which I bought it is Competition Cycle Center, Dania Beach FL 33004. I have been doing business there since about 1975.

Glad you got it resolved!

With all the available info out there I myself do jot understand why anyone buys anything except Odyssey.

There's plenty others out there and they offer good or great warranties knowing they're going to replace plenty of batteries and still make a killing.
I learned this when going through cheap but great warranty stereo equipment. The hassle is not worth it. Cheaper in the long run to pay double for a great battery.

Odyssey has a good warranty but I've never heard of anyone using it. They don't fail when supported by a good good system.

I know a shop that has Ballistics in stock, I believe only for guys that are set 200% on that type of Battery but I was there on Saturday when another loyal customer was going to purchase one and they refused to sell it to him!!
Actually they offered to rectify an issue about rebuilding his Racer (taken longer than expected) and were so open about the issues guys are having with those Batteries they even refused to give it to him as a GIFT!!
Please beware!!

Back