Bandwidth Speeds

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I just upgraded my internet to 5 MB from charter, up from what was supposed to be 3MB service(it was more like 1.5 MB). My cost has dropped from ~$36 to ~$26. I'm getting over 10MB now!! :punk:

Now if I could get more than one viable cell phone company that could provide reliable coverage, and for cheaper than ~$100/ month. No crapple iwanabe for me!

Nice Tom! I'd love to play world of warcraft on that connection, hell even my new connection would be better than what I used to play on! That's what I get for living in the sticks, nearest traffic signal is over 20 miles away though...

Damn rarick123....that is a hellaciously large pipe you have got there.

I thought my 20/5 FIOS connection was fast.
729509961.png

I guess I'm middle of the road. Not too bad for home service, but it is early in the morning before all the neighbors get on-line. :bang head:

I guess I'm middle of the road. Not too bad for home service, but it is early in the morning before all the neighbors get on-line. :bang head:
That ping is really nice, any gamer would love to have that connection! My dwnload speed was a little faster this morning too.

My coworker that still plays WoW will be switching over as soon as he reads the email I sent him. :rofl_200:

This is one of the better days for my school. During peak hours(7-10pm), sometimes the browser times out loading google.

Gaming is sketchy at best. Battlefield will only work at like 2am, otherwise I keep getting automatically kicked from servers for high latency. Combat Arms is so laggy it's unplayable.

The school network has a maze of filters and "fair use bandwidth sharing" protocols on it, intended to make a connection designed for a 100 computer office building spread out to over 5,000 computers on campus. Baisically if you use xxx Mb of bandwidth for xx minutes, it will tag your MAC address as a "high use" computer, and automatically put a severe restriction on your connection, down to like 50Kb/s or something. Dial-up speed. When that happens, it takes about 5 minutes to load a 60 second youtube clip. It must reset after several hours, or overnight, or if the computer is disconnected for a while. There's also a cap of 1gb data transfers, anything larger and it just flips the switch and cancels the download/transfer. While you'd think at a technology/engineering based university they would put a priority filter for the school's academic websites, alas no. Nearly all of my classes do homework online, and more than once I've found myself unable to get online to do it---the modern day "dog ate my homework" I suppose.

Ping rate will give you idea about the latency, time for the round-trip of a small packet.
High value will make your browsing slower, online games lagging or voip calls unusable.

Back