Barnett clutch pack

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel W

Reaction score
Just purchased my first VMAX this winter and have been loving it with the exception of a slight clutch slip in the top of 4th and 5th gears. I am planning on replacing with a Barnett clutch pack and full size last friction plate and with a pcw spring. This may be a silly question, but why does the Barnett kit come with 10 frictions and 9 steels when the oem clutch pack has 8 frictions and 7 steels? Also, even though I am not doing the dd mod but still wanting to replace the half friction plate for a full, do I need to remove the wire, clutch boss spring, and spring seat for my setup or should I reassemble with all of them back in? I have read the levelhead forum but cannot seem to figure out what I should do. I appreciate all the help in advance!

Can't tell you why Barnett sent you extra plates.

Yes, remove the wire, half size friction and steel plate, spring, and spring seat. Install a full size friction and steel plate in their place.

I strongly agree with Sean. I bought a set of Barnetts. Don't do it!! They are thinner, way thinner. shifting was notchy and trying to find neutral. forget it. I went ahd and installed all new everything clutch OEM. No problems.

The diaphragm spring is a poor excuse for clutch engagement. I put a pressure plate and it is functional however I will go back to stock friction and steel plates with a centrifugal lock up, I ran one on my Super=comp and Super -gas bikes and never had to adjust anything.

I don't know anything about them other than I've never heard anything good about them.

Another vote for, "leave the Barnetts on the shelf." I've used OEM Yamaha discs whenever I've needed to replace 'em. There's nothing the matter with a diaphragm spring, and the PCW is better than the double-diaphragm disc mod, which makes urban riding no-fun. Maybe for dragstrip use.

The question about the extra friction disc in the Barnett set is because of the thickness: thinner friction discs require an additional friction disc, I expect.

Last edited:
I used the Barnett clutch and with the help of others at Thunder that yr we set it up like the Double D with new yamaha fibers plus instead of the 60 lb springs I bought 100 lb springs off of Don Bricker and installed them . It ended up working great for me even with the nitrous . Maybe I just got lucky but ran that set up for 4 yrs. before selling the bike.

Back