Barnett Clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kent

Reaction score
How hard is it to install a Barnett clutch conversion? I've noticed a bit of slippage in my clutch when I open it up hard, and I want to change out to Barnett pressure plate......now, I've heard some that say they install and can't get clutch to work........some have no problems. I can follow instructions pretty good and I have common sense, is this a difficult job do perform? Is this a reliable install? Thanks, Steve:ummm:

How hard is it to install a Barnett clutch conversion? I've noticed a bit of slippage in my clutch when I open it up hard, and I want to change out to Barnett pressure plate......now, I've heard some that say they install and can't get clutch to work........some have no problems. I can follow instructions pretty good and I have common sense, is this a difficult job do perform? Is this a reliable install? Thanks, Steve:ummm:

Not difficult.

However, you may want to just install a PCW heavy duty spring. That may be all you need to get a bunch more life out of the existing clutch....it's inexpensive and about a 20 minute job. You can take a look at and measure what's left on the frictions when you are in there.

If it's been slipping for a while the frictions may be worn and/or the metal plates blued and/or warped. In that case obviously you should replace everything that needs it.

The Barnett conversion is a fine mod.....but my experience is that it does not really provide much if any more clamping force than a stock spring. I do like the clutch lever feel better, however.

Of course the DD mod (stacking stock springs) is another option......you will definitely have a significantly harder lever pull with that though.

PCW Racing in Schenectady NY http://www.pcwracing.net/ can sell you a kit w/their heavy-duty diaphragm clutch spring, new friction discs, plus a full-width one to replace the innermost friction disc which is only 1/2 as-wide as a stocker. It just replaces the narrow disc, and the narrow spring steel wire that is in there inside the circumference of the narrow disc. That whole narrow friction disc & narrow flat spring steel wire assembly is a crude form of allowing a bit of slippage to occur so the power transmission to the ground is smoother on downshifts.

The PCW kit to ask-for is the "extra-friction disc" kit, which comes w/Yamaha friction discs and a Yamaha side cover gasket. You then ask for the heavy-duty diaphragm spring too.

Reports are on here of guys who subject their bikes to hard usage, such-as dragstrip use, and rolling burnouts, who do the "double diaphragm spring" mod, may break their driveshafts.

I usually call PCW rather than using the website when I want to order things, they are helpful and your order will ship quickly.

Running a barnett. Worked fine when i fitted it still works fine now. No issues whatsoever. Fitment is a doddle. Seem to remember it came with instructions but never needed them its so simple

I have a Barnett 6 Spring clutch conversion too and have had it for years and I like it a lot.
It was a simple install and with the standard Gold (75 lb) springs it's about 20-25% stronger than the stock clutch spring.
If you want more grab you can buy the Green (82 lb) Barnett springs.
The only issue I had when installing it was that I didn't properly align it the first time so the clutch wouldn't engage, I remove the clutch cover and turned the Barnett plate until it was tight against the first friction spring and it worked perfectly after that.
Also the bolts just get hand snugged just like you would with the stock clutch.
The washers are flush or just past flush with the Barnett plate (so the springs won't hang up on the plate).
If you over tighten them you will also have issues with clutch engagement/disengagement.

Attachments

• Barnett_Clutch_Installed.jpg
    Barnett_Clutch_Installed.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Barnett_Clutch_Installed-3.5.jpg
    Barnett_Clutch_Installed-3.5.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 120
Hi. Some time ago I've made my clutch modification. I've made some custom parts and how does it looks.

I've left OEM spring and added three extra springs (for start, it's possible to add two, three, four or six). Added springs are from Yamaha Venture clutch.

I've made 4000 miles on this clutch and is ok.

I’m running a Barnett clutch as well. Installed it last season. Very simple to install, lever pull isn’t bad. Grabs better, and is a better design then stock imho. I think if you’re looking for a clutch mod, there are plenty of options to sort through, and all good options. Just depends on what you want to spend, and what route you feel is best for you and your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worst thing I ever fitted to my 1700 was a Barnett clutch, carbon clutch. I reported the faults to the agent they didn't want to help, I reported the faults to Barnett themselves directly more than a few occasions and they were NOT at all interested to help, what can I say LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER.

Not difficult.

However, you may want to just install a PCW heavy duty spring. That may be all you need to get a bunch more life out of the existing clutch....it's inexpensive and about a 20 minute job. You can take a look at and measure what's left on the frictions when you are in there.

If it's been slipping for a while the frictions may be worn and/or the metal plates blued and/or warped. In that case obviously you should replace everything that needs it.

The Barnett conversion is a fine mod.....but my experience is that it does not really provide much if any more clamping force than a stock spring. I do like the clutch lever feel better, however.

Of course the DD mod (stacking stock springs) is another option......you will definitely have a significantly harder lever pull with that though.
+ 1 on the PCW I recommend it to almost everyone that ask me about a heavier clutch. Only thing now is PCW is hard to get ahold of but I believe Sean has a few of them.

Carbon
The worst thing I ever fitted to my 1700 was a Barnett clutch, carbon clutch. I reported the faults to the agent they didn't want to help, I reported the faults to Barnett themselves directly more than a few occasions and they were NOT at all interested to help, what can I say LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER.
clutch was the mistake done....Carbon disks don't hold up, despite what some might think!

Latest posts

Back