• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Basketcase or Runner

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turomar

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have decided that my next bike will be a VMAX. As soon as I unload my last project, a KZ1000 hardtail. That was a shaft drive too, and I chopped and stretched it out 8" with a good deal of fabrication.
I'd like to do something similar to a Vmax, as there is better aftermarket support and parts availability. The KZ1000e was only made for two years so finding parts is tricky.
At the risk of heresy, I'm probably going to want to take whichever Vmax I get down to the frame and stretch and rake it. Eventually. Maybe as a winter project.
I want a long bike, but not a hardtail. Not again. I did 1000 miles in 24 hours(for the iron butt association) as part of a 3000 mile motorcycle vacation on that rigid KZ, and however I customize my next bike I'm going to keep the rear suspension.

In houston there are a few VMAX's on craigslist. One has been sitting for years for $1750. Dry rotted tires and it looks really filthy.
Another for $2500 has pretty custom paint but the owner mentions 2nd gear slipout. I've read a little about fixing that, and pulling then splitting the engine to have it fixed doesn't scare me so much that I wouldn't try it.
Another for $3000 has no pics(red flag) but claims to run fine but could use a carb rebuild.

What does the wisdom of this crowd suggest is the better bike to buy?

First of all, unless you have a lot of extra time and money to blow, stay away from the one with the 2nd gear issues. If it was about a 1000 dollars or so, then it might be worth it, but that is strictly from a monetary stand point.

Do you have pics or links to the other 2?

Come get mine with an upgraded transmission, brakes, kerker slipons, custom gauges, and front suspension for $3k with any of my extra parts included.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the 2nd gear bike is fine otherwise, and starts easily and runs, and you can shift past 2nd, so, 1-3-4-5, and has no other issues, offer him $1500. A decent bike needing just 2nd gear fixed and maybe normal things like a new battery, or tires, but good cosmetically, and operationally is worth that. We all say, "well, I would only want to pay $500 for one like that!," but truth of the matter is, you can try to lowball someone, and people take that different ways. Some get really-offended, and demand you leave, and others, having had no-one offer them anything, will desperately agree to a 1/5 asking-price sale. It's a crapshoot. If the guy takes offense, you can always have a buddy come back as a straw-buyer, and offer more.

basket case:
https://victoriatx.craigslist.org/mcd/5643498264.html

nopics:
https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/5679443255.html

2nd gear: I like the flames on this one, and he says its not bad:
https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/5678180974.html

davesax: where are you? I'd have to get out to you and drive it home.
also what upgrade did you do to the transmission? I'm interested in probably getting a venture 5th gear and maybe final drive. Touring is not my primary use, but I don't fly, so it happens occasionally.

I'm in Virginia, but could meet you in Nashville. I have Sean Morley's undercut transmission with the overdrive 5th gear you're looking for. I'll be back in town august 9th from a 10k mile trip I'm doing this
Summer on my tenere. I'm through 6500 miles now and will be meeting up with redbone next Monday to go to Newfoundland.

That sounds like a really good deal for $3000. Undercut is on the second gear to keep it from popping out under load?

I am in no hurry. I have to sell my kz1000 or get the settlement from vw for my cheating deisel before i buy. And it would have to be on a weekend. 12 hr out and 12 back.
That sounds like a fun trip you are taking. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a number of options if you want to drive to Kansas.

I've been in the Vmax world for a bit less time that many here so I'll make a general statement according to my experience regarding projects.

If you start with something running, or at least complete, it generally means a bit less hassle and expense down the road, even if a full tear down is in order. I'm OCD enough that I would need all the gears to work properly, If I lost 2nd on this bike the first thing I would do is start pulling it apart for the fix. Good luck with the project.

Depending on where in kansas, that might be closer than nashville to where I am in houston.
I'm not terribly picky, as I don't know all that much about these bikes, but I'm learning as fast as I can.
Undercut second gear isn't a need, but venture 5th is probably going to be. And if you have any with a venture rear end that would be cool.
I'll be wanting to repaint the body pieces, and maybe add some, so getting a bike with trashed would be fine as long as it worked.
I'll also likely put on the raked front end kit from www.chopper-kit-usa.com. I have not yet asked this forum if anyone here has done that on a vmax, but I intend to, just to make sure it wasn't a terrible idea. If it is, then I'll be wanting to strip my bike to the frame for a rake at the neck, and add a springer front end.

My end goal here is a super-long, low-slung chopper than can move like a bat out of hell.

I just noticed while writing this that I'm responding to Mr. Morley of Morley's Muscle. I tried to go to your website but it redirected to the hosting company. I did browse your forum post with bikes and parts for sale, and you have a raked vmax frame, do you not?
Should we continue this conversation via PM?

FYI, undercut gears is a way to make the gears mesh better, AS WELL as a fix for 2nd gear popping out.

The easiest way to message Sean is his personal email [email protected]

Last edited:
Overdrive 5th plus a venture diff is way overkill. A stock engine has minimal grunt with just the OD 5th.

It's a nice feature if you plan to do a lot of super slab. If you won't be, I would not consider it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That sounds like a really good deal for $3000. Undercut is on the second gear to keep it from popping out under load?

I am in no hurry. I have to sell my kz1000 or get the settlement from vw for my cheating deisel before i buy. And it would have to be on a weekend. 12 hr out and 12 back.
That sounds like a fun trip you are taking. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Undercut is all gears. I went to sean's shop with my motor and "we" did the work there. Also the bike will not pull the overdrive 5th and a venture final drive. One or the other, yes... Both, no. The bike is here and for sale. There are others, and Sean always has more options. It's about 10 hours to his place from Houston.

ok. thanks for the clarification. And the tip. I would have done both and wondered why I can't keep up with my wife on the highway.

I'd love to check out more of what sean has, but when i try to go to his website, I get a redirect to the hosting company. Is anyone else seeing that?
I perused his for sale section on the forums, definetly a lot there, so I'm sure I can find what I'm looking for. I've sent him an email.

Yea, I'm trying to get the site back up but even when up it barely had much on there (again a web designer problem). My facebook Morleys Muscle page has a LOT of pictures in a LOT of albums.

ok. thanks for the clarification. And the tip. I would have done both and wondered why I can't keep up with my wife on the highway.

I'd love to check out more of what sean has, but when i try to go to his website, I get a redirect to the hosting company. Is anyone else seeing that?
I perused his for sale section on the forums, definetly a lot there, so I'm sure I can find what I'm looking for. I've sent him an email.
Sean's website does not accurately represent his inventory or abilities.

He has a ton of new and used items in stock. Much more than you will find listed on the net. Also, he is setup as a distributor for numerous companies. If he doesn't stock what you want, he may be able to order it. Often for a bit cheaper than to you can find it elsewhere. He is not the cheapest on new OEM parts but he is way less than the typical dealership. He stocks a lot of common vmax parts, and he ships quickly. One thing to remember when dealing with Sean is he offers incredible service that you won't find in many places. He has invaluable advice.

As far as your bike options, I'd stay away from the basket case unless the price is chopped in half. I'd imagine it may need a fuel tank coating, carb rebuild possibly including diaphragms ($$), maybe fuel lines, intake, carb and v boost boots, hydraulic rebuild kits, tires, corrosion repair, etc... maybe I'm wrong but I would not doubt any of the above.

The bike with flames doesn't have much going for it either. Price seems high to me for a bike needing $1K worth of parts (not including labor)

The 02 doesn't sound too bad but pic's are needed. If it just needs a carb clean (no hard parts like diaphragms ) it wouldn't cost much to get it 100%.

I'd lean towards Dave's bike or the 02 IF the 02 price were reduced at least $250

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back