Batterie replacement and coil corosion clean up.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickyP

Reaction score
First off I'd like to thank you all for the wealth of general knowledge and help I have utilized threw this forum.

I just replaced me engine battery today. When removing the plug wire ends from the coil packs I noticed green corosion. I cut back the plug wire ends and sprayed crc electrical terminal cleaner on the inner pins of the coils. Fearing these were very delicate I used a "q" tip soaked in crc stuck it in and rotated it 10 or so times then pulled strait back out, this grabbed on to the buildup and pull it strait out.

Thank you all thought I'd like to share a sweet tip, maby. One that just came to me anyways

Have you done the crimp-fix, soldering the crimp point covered by the black plastic insulation by the rear high-tension coils?

VMax electrical crimp.02.jpeg.jpgVMax electrical crimp.01.jpeg.jpg

How did your bike respond to the new battery?

Just curious, I unwrapped my rear wiring by the rear coils, checking all the connections...and I did see this crimp joint with the two red wires...what is the purpose of soldering them? Is there a common issue with this joint having resistance issues?

Exactly as you suppose. The solder improves electrical conductivity.

Additional to what's been said, I would recommend smearing some flux over the joint, this helps the solder flow, you also need a relatively heavy duty soldering iron, I'd guess 60w, so not a tiddler designed for electronics PCB work.

Bike turnes over rapidly now. I am not sure about that connection you speak of I will investigate it when I get back from my next work trip to lexington, ky then elk grove, ca. Next week I'll have time. Thankyou.

To see the benefit of doing this, first measure your output at your ignition switch and then do the soldering and measure your output at the ignition switch. Which one the voltage is higher?

Latest posts

Back