Battery died, bike won't run on a jump start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Battery died. Threw jumper cables on it, started right up. Take battery cables off, bike dies.
I let the dead battery charge via donner charging vehicle for 20min. Got a voltage of 10.5V. I take it battery is toast?
Cause: Left ignition on for 7 days.

Well you will have to completely charge the battery.....to see if it will hold a charge. It's my understanding that a motorcycle isn't like a car....in the fact that you can jump a car.....and then take the positive cable off. I motorcycle is more like an older car with the generator. If the battery is low.....and generator won't bring it back to 100%. The ecu reads to a out of voltage at the battery all of the time.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I see no reason why the bike won't remain running after a jump start, and with a less than stellar performing battery IF, and only IF, it's charging system is up to snuff. If the charging system is putting out over 13V's, it should be enough to energize what needs to be in order to run. Right? Our charging system is the same principle & major components as a cars' system.

My guess is Faloholic has some charging issues going on simultaneously with the dead battery condition.

Perhaps it is a charging issue that I have. Although it did bring me to and from Thunder.

It would make sense that it should be able to run off of the jumping cables, as the charging system needs to be able to run the bike and charge the battery at the same time.

Possible the battery itself is bad. If a cell is bad or broken internally the flow of electricity will not go through the battery and run the bike. A free test at the local parts store should give you a definitive answer on that. Will have to remove from bike and take in tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About a month ago.....my battery was starting to crap out. I could start the bike......but 10-15 mins down the road the bike would die......even with a good charging system. A new battery latter....no issues.....even at eureka springs.....

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Took battery out and brought it to the autoparts store for a 35min quick charge. Best voltage out of the battery 7V.
Ended up going to Autozone and picking up a Duralast Gold ETX18L . $101, and comes with a $10 Autozone giftcard, mail-in rebate.
The battery is not a direct fit...with the battery tray still in the bike. I had to remove the battery tray to get the battery to fit.
Everything works fine now. With a cold start and 1500rpms, I'm getting 13.8V charging.

Took battery out and brought it to the autoparts store for a 35min quick charge. Best voltage out of the battery 7V.
Ended up going to Autozone and picking up a Duralast Gold ETX18L . $101, and comes with a $10 Autozone giftcard, mail-in rebate.
The battery is not a direct fit...with the battery tray still in the bike. I had to remove the battery tray to get the battery to fit.
Everything works fine now. With a cold start and 1500rpms, I'm getting 13.8V charging.

$50 shipped-420 cold cranking amps

UB12220 12v 22ah Battery
http://www.apexbattery.com/universa...=97971658146&gclid=COzK_pHj28YCFUuTfgod358OZw

Back