Battery Lifting Handle Design

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie2ee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just posting my take on a battery lifting handle. Finally got tired of trying to pry the battery out of the battery pocket and not having something non conductive to tie into the battery terminals. I had some weed eater string laying around and I used it as the non conductive handle and crimped electrical ring connectors on the ends of the string. Works great and is cheap. [battery, battery lifting, battery removal, battery handle, battery pickup]

Battery Handle 1.jpg

Battery Handle 2.jpg

Yes, gets the job-done. Don't anyone use a thin wire for a stronger handle! 🤔 🥵

Using a thin wide piece of cloth left under the battery is what I do. It's sold in fabric stores, it's called 'bias tape,' and it comes in different widths. You could sew some loops on either end to make it easier to grab. Some Japanese bikes came with something like this from the factory, in 'the old-days.' The material is woven in a 'herringbone' pattern, and is plenty-strong for this.

Last edited:
My solution was to use a length of seat belt that goes under the battery then folds over the top and can be pulled on to get the pesky blighter out.
Just an opinion but is using the battery posts to pull the battery out a good idea?

My solution was to use a length of seat belt that goes under the battery then folds over the top and can be pulled on to get the pesky blighter out.
Just an opinion but is using the battery posts to pull the battery out a good idea?
Yeah, I'd rather just use some self-tapping screws and a screen door handle on each side.

MaxMidnight has a good point, I had a Li-iron battery break its cast-brass terminal from doing nothing but using it. Fortunately, I was able to get it warrantied.

Seemed like a good idea...................and I've seen the car battery carriers that slip over the battery posts and then when you lift they lock into the lead..............but I would agree that it is taking a risk that may not be worth it..............so I do have some seat belt material lying around so think I will try that...................I also have 3 1/2" self drilling deck screws and a brand new screen door handle but think I will pass on that idea.........thanks for the feedback

Unless you're using a Li-iron battery, with its smaller dimensions, the seat belt woven nylon is going to be too-thick, I'm pretty-sure. That's where the basting tape from the fabric store, in a wide width, is good: it's thin, but it fits in the battery box, even with a standard-size battery.

A shoe lace or piece of string around the battery should be enough - you only need to raise it enough to be able to grab it by hand..... I mean, how often do you need to remove the battery?

I use an old piece of nylon dog leash cut to the appropriate length to go under the battery with an inch or so left sticking out above the battery on each side to grasp on to. Works like a charm!

I use an old piece of nylon dog leash cut to the appropriate length to go under the battery with an inch or so left sticking out above the battery on each side to grasp on to. Works like a charm!
My retracting leash just wore-out the spring, I pitched it, I was trying to think of some use for it, and there you have-it!

Vice grips on the old bolts after putting them back in when removing the cables always worked for me lol.

After careful consideratlion of all the facts presented here.....................I'm sticking with the weed whacker string handle......................I doubt the battery is being damaged (although I could be wrong) but it's just to convenient not to use.................all I have to do is paint one end of the handle Red................I can cofirm that my battery box would not allow the seat beat method..............it is a tight fit

Latest posts

Back